The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Gloves

I need to invest in some new gloves for riding but I’m a little uneasy getting a crap pair that don’t work and my fingers drop off. I have had Burton gloves and they were horrible worst things I have ever used, having said that I’m still keen on a pair if they are up for the job.

I need some ideas my frends. I like the crab claws, longer in the wrist is favorable.

What do you use?
Why do you like them?
What is the price range?
ASL?

Thanks smile

I’ve had both good and bad experiences with Rad mittens
I bought a pair when the first came out and although the looked rad, on a wet or slushy day I was left with wet cold and shriveled testsicle esque fingers. I needed another pair for when I went to Japan and not Liking the look of any that they had in my local board store I went for Rad again but their next release/series, and they had changed for the better. They seemed thicker and the lining didn’t move around in the glove and they stayed dry even in horrible Australia spring slush.
Now I’ve got some fyve mittens that I won in a comp but have only used them once at last years shred. my only gripe would be they were too warm for the conditions, but that was my fault for using them.
Was any of that helpful, probs not but it helped pass time while I waited for my train

I got a pair of Burtons with in-built wrist guards on sale a year or two ago.  The plastic insert for the wrist guard rubs on my knuckle.  The gloves are probably OK apart from that.  I get pretty cold hands so I also prefer pretty burly gloves.

Dakine Cobra. The dryest my hand has ever been, warmer than my pow stealth and assault. Tried 2 pow gloves before, good in the beginning but started getting easily damp after a while.

Great information…I prefer burly gloves myself Mudhoney. I might end up getting similar or the same gloves as previously because they were amazing.

Keep em coming people

Pipe gloves for Aus 90% of the time. Got a pair from Grenade that seem pretty decent. I have pair of Nitro insulate leather gloves for OS and when it gets cold though. I had a pair of Rad gloves as well but they broke hmmm (my fault) they were a bit too thick for my liking and the rubber palm was a bit restrictive, but still pretty good.

I have a few pairs i use on and off.

A set of DAKINE pipe gloves, decent for Aus temps but obviously they get wet very easily.

A set of Celtek…somethings i bought in Tahoe. Too warm for AUS, but kept hands dry.

A pair of RAD Smitten Mittens. Perfect temp for AUS and kept pretty damn dry even when using them one of my last days riding last Sept with Nthn when it was like 9 degrees and everything was getting wet due to stupid amount of snow melt.

For anything other than warm spring conditions, I only wear Gore-tex gloves.

Two of my favourites:

Dakine Bronco (or Bronco GT)
Burton AK Clutch glove

Nothing beats a Gore-text glove. I do like a low profile glove, which both of the above are.

Do they come with the -20% profile?

bkrtron - 25 February 2014 04:38 PM

I need to invest in some new gloves for riding but I’m a little uneasy getting a crap pair that don’t work and my fingers drop off. I have had Burton gloves and they were horrible worst things I have ever used, having said that I’m still keen on a pair if they are up for the job.

I need some ideas my frends. I like the crab claws, longer in the wrist is favorable.

What do you use?
Why do you like them?
What is the price range?
ASL?

Thanks smile

I use a mix between pimp hands gloves, I think they are called shooter McGee or something (they have guns on the backs of the hands). And when its a bit colder (the fingers get wet in the pimp hands ones a bit) I use dakine galaxy mittens… These are amazing!! So dry and toasty, with out being over the top warmth..  If its a nice enough day though I don’t wear gloves.. ..

I like the pimp hands ones, as they are fun.. I can shoot people with them, they are also daily light so good on warmer days.  The dakine keep my hands so dry and so warm.. I was so anti mitten.. Till I tried these.. (reason being “you had to take them off to do anything..” but honestly I have to take the gloves off most of the time anyways.. And mittens are actually easier to out back on, and keep your finger tips warm!  Mine get cold and damp by the end of the day in gloves..

the pimp hands were around $60 and the dakine were about double that (but well worth it)

asl? Haha hmm.. 27/yes/preferably some where comfortable??  LOL

Anything Burton can be cheaply made BUT that doesn’t mean burton suck. I find anything entry level burton is REALLY entry level, anything above that is actually really good. (Bindings are the best example - freestyles are terrible, Cartels, Malavitas and Diodes are off the hook).
Their gloves for example, the entry level black burton gloves could be any old pair of gloves if you took the burton symbol off them. Mid to high end Burton gloves however are awesome. I’ve had lots of different pairs, happy with all of them.

I’m riding POW gloves at the moment and happy with them too. I always like POW’s styles but they weren’t that nice a few years ago (weird sizing, fell apart) now they seem to have stepped up quite a lot and mine are still like new.

Grenade make nice pipe gloves too.

Celtek are my all time favourite. But I wasn’t a fan of their styles this season. I couldn’t even find a plain pair, so I skipped them.

I agree with you, Andy.

Step up to their higher end gear and it’s about as good as it gets. The Burton AK Clutch gloves are probably the best I’ve ever used. I’ve owned three sets now, each time giving them the all-season beating in Whistler and more. They’ve always held up to wear and tear, and always toasty warm and dry.

I really do like Burton’s RPM leather gloves too. They are really good.

It doesn’t matter which brand you use. If you are buying a 5K or 10K waterproof glove, they will get wet — guaranteed. Step up to better materials, i.e. Gore-tex. Yes, they cost more, but they are infinitely better.

h0z - 01 March 2014 03:21 PM
bkrtron - 25 February 2014 04:38 PM

What do you use?
Why do you like them?
What is the price range?
ASL?

Thanks smile

I use a mix between pimp hands gloves, I think they are called shooter McGee or something (they have guns on the backs of the hands). And when its a bit colder (the fingers get wet in the pimp hands ones a bit) I use dakine galaxy mittens… These are amazing!! So dry and toasty, with out being over the top warmth..  If its a nice enough day though I don’t wear gloves.. ..

I like the pimp hands ones, as they are fun.. I can shoot people with them, they are also daily light so good on warmer days.  The dakine keep my hands so dry and so warm.. I was so anti mitten.. Till I tried these.. (reason being “you had to take them off to do anything..” but honestly I have to take the gloves off most of the time anyways.. And mittens are actually easier to out back on, and keep your finger tips warm!  Mine get cold and damp by the end of the day in gloves..

the pimp hands were around $60 and the dakine were about double that (but well worth it)

asl? Haha hmm.. 27/yes/preferably some where comfortable??  LOL

hahah nice reponse Hoz wink

Those Pimp Hand gloves look real fun for shooting mates down the hill. phew phew!

Gore-Tex is the only way I agree Rider. These Analog (Burton) gloves look tidy. Reviews seem to be great. 

I have a set of Grenade pipe gloves they are nicely made and rad colours.

Fyve just had a 50-80% off relocation sale so i grabbed a pair of their leather mitts, when i get them ill grab stuff from the freezer and wash my car with them on too gauge how they perform seeing the season start is a fair way off

I believe thats how the test all gloves/mittens isnt it?

trentradpants - 04 March 2014 08:50 AM

Fyve just had a 50-80% off relocation sale so i grabbed a pair of their leather mitts, when i get them ill grab stuff from the freezer and wash my car with them on too gauge how they perform seeing the season start is a fair way off

They sold out quick I tried to get a pair of the leather ones myself. Make sure you were your bikini when testing.