The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Vans BOWL-A-RAMA Bondi 2014 - The Official Thread

<center>

VANS BOWL-A-RAMA BONDI 2014

10 YEARS OF BLOOD, SWEAT & CHEERS

</center>
The skateboarding festival has begun. It’s the 10th birthday of Vans BOWL-A-RAMA Bondi, and we’re set for a big one. Keep your eye on this thread for constant updates about Vans BOWL-A-RAMA Bondi 2014.

Tony Hawk, Bondi Skatepark. Photo: Riely Walker

Tony Hawk, Bondi Skatepark. Photo: Riely Walker

Tony Hawk and Steve Caballero. Photo: Alen Zvokelj

EVENTS

Vans BOWL-A-RAMA Bondi 2014 — ROLL IN: THE PARTY BEGINS

The celebrations have begun! It’s the 10th birthday of one of the greatest skateboarding events in the world, Vans BOWL-A-RAMA Bondi. The best bowl skaters in the world have descended on Sydney’s iconic Bondi Beach. We went down to Bondi Skatepark to catch some of the action.

A few of us were invited out to help interview Tony Hawk exclusively for Boardworld yesterday, and then hang out with Tony at the zoo later in the day. Azz and Brad (K2) were on interview duty while Mitch Ayers and Andy Lloyd were behind the video lens. I was taking happy snaps throughout the day, some of which you can see here. Footage from the interview and zoo should be dropping shortly.

First up, a few snaps from the interview. That’s North Bondi in the background, not a bad spot to have it done.

We got into some deep discussion.

There were more cameras than people here…

Tony was kind enough to personally sign one of our shirts, which will be auctioned off at a later date for the B-Rad Foundation.

It was off to the zoo next, with Tony hanging out with some of the animals. I was lucky enough to get a few snaps while he was at it.

Proof Tony is taller than a giraffe

The snake tried to strangle him…

Then tried to bite him…

We figured it was best to hang out with the cuter and cuddlier animals.

It was cool seeing Tony so stoked on the animals. We didn’t bug him too much on his adventure. We got the footage we needed and left him to it with his family.

Overall it was an incredible day for everyone involved, and it was probably a once in a lifetime opportunity for everyone. Thanks so much to Boardworld for putting the day together and sorting it all out! Stay tuned for the interview and footage!

That’s sick, Riely. Stoked for you guys and really stoked on the photos too. Great job.

A live stream available?

HANGING WITH TONY HAWK

Yesterday, we were lucky enough to hang with none other than skateboarding icon, Tony Hawk. We started the day with a skate session at Bondi Skatepark, before heading to Taronga Zoo in Sydney, NSW, Australia, to meet some Australian animals with an incredible Sydney skyline as the backdrop. Tony also talks about his career, his contribution to skateboarding, and his goals for the future.

So very jealous!!!
Good job guys shaka

VANS BOWL-A-RAMA BONDI 2014 OFFICIAL RESULTS

(Photo credit: Riely Walker)

PRO DIVISION:
1st: Pedro Barros

2nd: Alex Sorgente

3rd: Felipe Foguinho

MASTERS DIVISION:
1st: Tony Hawk

2nd: Steve Caballero

3rd: Nicky Guerrero

Stay tuned for more photos and footage from the day.

Such an amazing week, thanks to Boardworld and Jeremy for letting me be a part of it.

Its something i dont think i will ever forget!

Vans BOWL-A-RAMA Bondi 2014 — THE OFFICIAL HIGHLIGHT REEL

Here are some more photos I took from practice and the contest that haven’t been posted yet.

Tony’s tailslides around the corner were as smooth as ever.

Bucky was down there practising every day…he’s probably the most competitive guy down there every year. I don’t really dig that vibe but he sure knows how to skate.

More of Bucky. Corner transfer.

I’m fairly sure Eddie Elgato is the oldest guy competing. Absolute legend heading into his mid 50’s.

This kid, Cory Juneau, was one of the youngest competing. He was launching stalefish grabs higher than anyone else there.

Pedro Barros took his fifth straight win and launched 540’s bigger than last year, as is the usual cycle.

J-Rod might not go as big as the rest but damn he looks good on a skateboard.

Nollie frontside floater…probably my favourite trick of the day. This guy is the nollie king.

Sam Beckett holds it down for the UK.

It’s a media frenzy when the finals kick in. Judo.

This guy always seems to be way down the list when I think he deserves to make the finals most times. Steven Pineiro.

Felipe well and truly deserved third place.

Alex Sorgente is getting closer to Pedro every year. Kid is good.

The Birdman slaughtered the masters division. He could have probably taken it to the pro division and made the finals. Easily the biggest (and only) 540 in his division. He’s still got it!

After watching Steven Pineiro’s heat, he was killin it!

Please check out my article A Poolside Perspective

Discussion on the article and lots more photos can be found here

THE OFFICIAL RECAP VIDEO