The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics - Official Chat Thread

Shit, she was a ragdoll and out for ages!

Why are they taking so long to help people when they go down!!! I have noticed it in most events.

Yeh I’ve noticed that too.. when Yuki stacked it, they left her for a good few minutes.. she didn’t move or get up really.. and then they finally strolled over…  id be ready to go the second she crashed, and running as soon as she stopped and didn’t get up right away…

On another note.. how much speed/distance/air do they get!! So insane.. I’d be k2ing myself for sure!!  (haven’t watched boarder x since like Vancouver.. and that was before I tried snowboarding.. so I had no real concept of it..

I am not so concerned with the time it has taken BUT the techniques when they do arrive!

I was stunned when that guy “strolled” up hill in the slopestyle the other day. I can’t believe there wasn’t someone above the athlete!

Poor Torah.. but an awesome effort doing all three events!! 

Go Belle!!  you can do it!!

Poor Belle!! Got knocked off the edge of the drop.. so devo!

And how was that finish!! Top four a photo.. 2 of them tumbling over the line!!

Haha loving her moustache!! Its most definitely ‘lucky’! She was so stoked when she crossed that finish line!

And good work belle 8th is pretty damn good!! (2nd in small final!)

Yeah bit unlucky there Belle.  Showed her class in the small final though.

Sad to see where the media is taking the funding issues with the outcasts, OWIA and AOC stuff, Chumpy must be feeling the pressure today. Here

have fun Chumpy! enjoy the ride!

Tambo - 17 February 2014 12:06 PM

Sad to see where the media is taking the funding issues with the outcasts, OWIA and AOC stuff, Chumpy must be feeling the pressure today. Here

have fun Chumpy! enjoy the ride!

couldn’t they wait untill after ll our athletes have competed? This is more stress, that none of them need…  (not chumpys fault if they give him more funding.. Even though it is unfair on the others.. Why should have have this shoved in him the day of his race?)

hopefully he ignores it, and just focuses in the race and has an awesome time.. 

go chumpy!

(not blaming other athletes either.. If I was in their shoes, I’d be quite annoyed too!, but not their fault.. And not fair on chumpy to deal with this right now)

So piss poor of the athletes to be complaining.
Suck it up and get on with it…

funding for snowsports is a difficult thing. Munga applied for a scholarship for SBX a few years ago, Chumpy was his coach and referree then. He was up there with Jarryd Hughes in results and ability, but we didn’t have the funds to take him OS for back to back winters and training. So many of our athletes, and I’m not just speaking winter athletes I guess, are completely self funded (read parent funded). They pay for travel, training, coaches travel and training, competitions gear, everything. When they do well they might pick up a sponsor or two, but they have to do really well to get more than that.
Good on all those parents who are able to do it for/with their kids, in whatever sport they choose.

Today isn’t the day for this to blow up in the public space. Today is a day for athletes and their circle to focus on their event, do the best they can, whatever the outcome.

Boardercross delayed by several hours

Yep.., they just said that they will most likely skip the seeding, and go straight into the heats, about 8:30pm, if it clears up a bit..

There are so many mixed messages..

I first read it was going to be a while. (they need an hour practice time which they haven’t had yet)

Then that it would only be a 30min delay. This is the latest.. (that you said above)

All this has been in the last 30mins!

I think it is going to be a long night!

Even if they skip the seeding I don’t think the any competition will start before or at 8.30. I think the start will be even later.