The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Who wants Shaun White to win halfpipe gold?

skip11 - 12 February 2014 04:08 PM

I don’t get when people say Shaun doesn’t love snowboarding. You guys don’t even know him. Sure he might get burnt out snowboarding or do just only contest, that doesn’t mean he doesn’t love snowboarding. A regular guy can snowboard 5 days a year and still loves snowboarding.

“A regular guy can snowboard 5 days a year and still loves snowboarding” because they’re doing it purely for true fun of it. Remove the money, the media commitments, the marketing photo ops and the addiction to winning, and since when does Shaun White just go out and ride because it’s awesome?

@chucky: But how do you know he’s not riding just for fun? He obviously rides without the camera pointed at him. During that time maybe he just cruises the mountain, ride with his family, or ride some pow like other guys? You don’t know that.

Anyways here are Danny Davis’ comments after the contest.Why would he talk a lot of crap? Shaun didn’t even take a jab at him publicly and he indirectly attacked Shaun. I like Danny, but this made me lost a bit of respect for him.

“You know it’s good for snowboarding, man,” American teammate Danny Davis said of White finishing fourth, far behind winner Iouri Podladtchikov of Switzerland. “The world knows now that there are other snowboarders besides Shaun. It’s great, man, because there are a bunch of good riders in our sport and they deserve some credit, too.”

Deserved or not, this is reality. Even coming in fourth was met with scorn, another judging favor for White. They claimed he deserved lower.

“Well, fourth was a gift, first of all,” Davis noted, feeling no hesitation at smacking Shaun — even though Davis himself crashed twice, finished 10th and called the entire night “rats … a bummer.”

skip11 - 13 February 2014 04:05 AM

@chucky: But how do you know he’s not riding just for fun? He obviously rides without the camera pointed at him. During that time maybe he just cruises the mountain, ride with his family, or ride some pow like other guys? You don’t know that.

He’s admitted it himself.

skip11 - 13 February 2014 04:05 AM

Anyways here are Danny Davis’ comments after the contest.Why would he talk a lot of crap? Shaun didn’t even take a jab at him publicly and he indirectly attacked Shaun. I like Danny, but this made me lost a bit of respect for him.

“You know it’s good for snowboarding, man,” American teammate Danny Davis said of White finishing fourth, far behind winner Iouri Podladtchikov of Switzerland. “The world knows now that there are other snowboarders besides Shaun. It’s great, man, because there are a bunch of good riders in our sport and they deserve some credit, too.”

What makes that “a lot of crap”? It’s the truth. The mainstream media has largely treated the event as ‘the Shaun show’, almost completely disregarding the other riders involved - and therefore so have the ignorant masses. The overwhelming and irrational hysteria surrounding Shaun White fandom among ‘Monday morning quarterbacks’, teenage wannabe groupies and couch-bound soccer moms - most of whom have never snowboarded a day in their lives - has been truly pathetic. I completely agree with what Danny said, and why should he be vilified (like he has been in the mainstream) for simply speaking the truth?

Can you find a link to this? I never seen the interview.

About DD’s comment, because
1. it’s the olympics, you’re representing your country
2. it’s your own teammates
3. it’s just rude and unsportsmanlike. Shaun even come and congratulated Ipod on his win. And yes, I don’t like how Shaun is claiming it after his run.

If Danny is all about the love and bla bla bla, why is he even in the olympics?

I’ve never liked Davis, he’s full of himself!!!!!

There’s a little Analog Edit from a few years ago of him where he goes to Japan, and in one scene he’s tryin to get a cheap laugh in front of a Japanese girl behind the counter in a shop by mocking her English pronunciations, right in front of her and in shot!!!!!

What kind of tool does something that?????

just throwing in my 2c, I love SW.

banned

haha only kidding mate wink

You’re lucky Stamford!!!!!

He doesn’t often bust out that Banned Smiley!!!!!

But when he does!!!!!  gulp

LOL

skip11 - 13 February 2014 08:17 AM

Can you find a link to this? I never seen the interview.

Sure mate, I’ll have a look.

1. it’s the olympics, you’re representing your country

2. it’s your own teammates

3. it’s just rude and unsportsmanlike. Shaun even come and congratulated Ipod on his win.

1. If Shaun White was actually interested in representing his country, and not just his personal Shaun White Enterprises Inc. brand, he would have competed to the best of his ability in slopestyle. This was part of the reason Danny had a go at him.

2. Throughout his Olympic career, Shaun White has shown very little interest in his “teammates”. Exactly how much concern did Shaun White show for his “team” through his slopestyle dog act? Danny, on the other hand, has regularly shown selfless support for other riders. Danny didn’t stand to personally benefit from going into bat for Brandon Davis, but he didn’t hesitate to do it anyway.

3. Actually, he didn’t do that straight away. At first he had a shitty look on his face, and then he suddenly clicked and went into Shaun White Enterprises Inc. PR mode. Besides, if it had been ANY other rider besides his only real friend in the pro snowboarder ranks, it wouldn’t have happened. Did you see huge outpourings of emotion and big hugs for the Japanese riders from Shaun White?

If Danny is all about the love and bla bla bla, why is he even in the olympics?

He’s got bills to pay, just like everyone else. He’s aware that unfortunately an Olympic presence constitutes a necessary evil.

Besides, there’s nothing wrong with being the kid who grew up dreaming about proudly doing your best in representing your country on the world stage, and STILL loving your sport and your fellow competitors - just look at Torah.

since when is snowboarding a team sport?

I’m not saying he feels this way, but why would he be buddy buddy with guys that talk shit about him on the internet? (davis & Bretz).

You’re ACTUALLY complaining that Shaun got a bad look on his face when he realized he hadn’t medaled? If he hadn’t, I’m sure you would have said that he was just faking it.

I wouldn’t hug a 15 year old who I didn’t know.

Funny how Ipod calls Shaun haters, ‘morons’. Chucky, Ipod just called you a moron! LOL

Anyways, there’s no point to this. Chucky, you’re the creationist is this video:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/messages-from-creationists-to-people-who-believe-in-evolutio  

teacherboy

insert chucky’s usual drivel here

Making fun of foreigner’s accents? Just like what Shaun White did in Turin?

Meh, that’s just a dumb thing uncultured travellers do. I’m not at all saying it’s at all justified - but I bet neither meant any offence by their stupid actions.