The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics - Official Chat Thread

chucky - 12 February 2014 02:48 PM
bkrtron - 12 February 2014 02:41 PM

[They could have thrown up the bird like Kazuhiro Kokubo in the X-Games smile

Hahaha! A stark contrast, for sure!

there was a japanese kid at the burton euro open that threw up the bird after every run. The announcers couldn’t stop laughing - they were sure he didn’t know what it meant. (of course, he knew, but nobody could figure out what he was pissed off about).

I’ve always felt Kazu has gotten too much credit from that finger. He had style, but he didn’t have the multiple double corks needed to keep up. To me, giving the finger to the judges isn’t bad ass, it’s being a poor loser.
....and now he wears outerwear that looks like a friggin’ tracksuit!

air180 - 12 February 2014 12:48 PM
chucky - 12 February 2014 12:02 PM

I was very disappointed to see the two Japanese kids barely show any excitement at all when it was definite they’d won their medals - not even shared excitement with each other, and they’re on the same team! An uncomfortably muted grin appeared to be as good as it got. It was clear iPod wanted to get some kind of traditionally snowboarderesque celebration going, but they weren’t having any part of it! WTF?!

I reckon its just cultural differences. Doesn’t necessarily mean they appreciate or value the win any less. Or maybe they were just totally overwhelmed?

After watchin the replay just then, they were obviously happy with their achievement, but they also looked to be respectful of iPod, and seemingly let him take the limelight of being the Victor!!!!!

Definitely a cultural thing!!!!!

Even when ushered onto the top of the podium for a group photo, they were very hesitant in doing so!!!!!

They’re kids. They were probably nervous as fuck!

Ladies Halfpipe tonight
Heats 9pm
Semifinals 2am
Finals 4.30am

Heat 1
Holly Crawford Bib 5
Steph Magiros Bib 10
Hannah Trigger Bib 11

Heat 2
Torah Bright Bib 28( last!)
details

h0z - 12 February 2014 03:05 PM
MarcD - 12 February 2014 02:26 PM

a great attitude would not being happy that somebody lost. How is that sportsmanship?

“it’s a great day because Shaun lost” <- totally against the Olympic spirit!

and you’ve totally misinterpreted that…  Danny is happy that others rides are getting the recognition that they have earned..  Because on the day, at that time they did better runs and deserved to win!

Nailed it, hOz. Spot on!

The fact is that every time someone ‘wins’, someone else ‘loses’ - so should we never express happiness over people’s success for fear of offending someone else?

MarcD - 12 February 2014 03:18 PM

I’ve always felt Kazu has gotten too much credit from that finger. He had style, but he didn’t have the multiple double corks needed to keep up. To me, giving the finger to the judges isn’t bad ass, it’s being a poor loser.

Not at all. It was a legitimate protest, simple as that. He’s wanted to draw attention to the ‘spin over style’ mentality that’s ruining competitive snowboarding, and evidently protests like his have actually had an effect.

Ooooooo that drill buffer/waxer thing looked interesting!

Are you kidding me??

Not one comment on her run/trick????

Geez back to Aussieskier “radio” cast!

ETA: Opps Aussieskier has no “experts” to comment tonight :-(

blush

HA!

Stephanie used to be a gymnast!!!

You talking to yourself?!

Massive props to Kelly Clark. To ride at that level for that many years is pretty phenomenal.

deanobruce - 12 February 2014 09:37 PM

You talking to yourself?!

Seems like it!

Go Perisher!

\

Says, sorry there was a problem loading this video oz,

but if its the #rule40 video.. Its freaking hilarious!!