The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics - Official Chat Thread

At least SW doesn’t seem to mind too much:

chucky - 12 February 2014 12:02 PM

I was very disappointed to see the two Japanese kids barely show any excitement at all when it was definite they’d won their medals - not even shared excitement with each other, and they’re on the same team! An uncomfortably muted grin appeared to be as good as it got. It was clear iPod wanted to get some kind of traditionally snowboarderesque celebration going, but they weren’t having any part of it! WTF?!

I reckon its just cultural differences. Doesn’t necessarily mean they appreciate or value the win any less. Or maybe they were just totally overwhelmed?

Yep!!!!!

chucky - 12 February 2014 12:42 PM

At least SW doesn’t seem to mind too much:

Now K2 has something in common with a pro rider too!!!!!

chucky - 12 February 2014 12:32 PM

“You know it’s good for snowboarding, man. The world knows now that there are other snowboarders besides Shaun. It’s great, man, because there are a bunch of good riders in our sport and they deserve some credit, too.”

- Danny Davis telling it like it is on the Sochi pipe results.

good on him!! Danny is not just an awesome rider, but also an awesome person, I would have loved for him to get a place..  he genuinely wants to further snowboarding and has a real love for it!!  (watch his peace pipe video.. Its insane!).

such a great attitude!!

a great attitude would not being happy that somebody lost. How is that sportsmanship?

“it’s a great day because Shaun lost” <- totally against the Olympic spirit!

I was very disappointed to see the two Japanese kids barely show any excitement at all when it was definite they’d won their medals - not even shared excitement with each other, and they’re on the same team! An uncomfortably muted grin appeared to be as good as it got. It was clear iPod wanted to get some kind of traditionally snowboarderesque celebration going, but they weren’t having any part of it! WTF?!

ok, they’re japanese teenagers with no doubt crap english. They’re going to be shy. Teppei kept glancing at Ayumu wanting to party but Ayumu was just emotionless. Maybe he had wanted gold so much that silver was disappointing.
It wasn’t til Aono and Nedefuji came over that Teppei was able to hug and high five someone. I had a lol

trentradpants - 12 February 2014 08:48 AM

I loved the pipe flashback they had on earlier yesterday aswell, the 98 nagano games. The pipe looked like it was cut with shovels!

Really? I haven’t seen a replay recently but I got to drop in into it the second day after the contest. (the resort was open to the public). Mind you, I was a beginner then, but it was the nicest pipe I had ever been in. The blackcomb pipe is nicer though

air180 - 12 February 2014 12:48 PM

I reckon its just cultural differences. . .

I was wondering that too, but chose not to mention it because some people on here can be a tad precious when it comes to unpredictable and irrational bouts of political correctness.

air180 - 12 February 2014 12:48 PM

I reckon its just cultural differences. Doesn’t necessarily mean they appreciate or value the win any less. Or maybe they were just totally overwhelmed?

They could have thrown up the bird like Kazuhiro Kokubo in the X-Games smile

MarcD - 12 February 2014 02:33 PM
trentradpants - 12 February 2014 08:48 AM

I loved the pipe flashback they had on earlier yesterday aswell, the 98 nagano games. The pipe looked like it was cut with shovels!

Really? I haven’t seen a replay recently but I got to drop in into it the second day after the contest. (the resort was open to the public). Mind you, I was a beginner then, but it was the nicest pipe I had ever been in. The blackcomb pipe is nicer though

I checked out the Salt Lake pipe prior to the Olympics, and it was a beast - seriously intimidating.

Haha, nowhere near as scary as the Salt Lake luge/bobsled/skeleton course, though. I did a run in the four man bobsled, and it was all-time!

bkrtron - 12 February 2014 02:41 PM

[They could have thrown up the bird like Kazuhiro Kokubo in the X-Games smile

Hahaha! A stark contrast, for sure!

MarcD - 12 February 2014 02:26 PM

a great attitude would not being happy that somebody lost. How is that sportsmanship?

and you’ve totally misinterpreted that…  Danny is happy that others rides are getting the recognition that they have earned..  Because on the day, at that time they did better runs and deserved to win..  He doesn’t say “oh its good Shaun lost”. He says its good others riders are getting recognition too!! (ask any non snowboarder to name a snowboarder.. I guarantee 9/10 say Shaun white.. Now some other people might have their names out there too..)  how is that not in Olympic spirit??
(now hopefully there are some 15yro kids out there or even ones a bit younger, that saw this and go.. Wow.. If he can do that.. I want to try snowboarding…  the more the better imo!)

Danny built his own pipe that I mentioned earlier and from memory it was with his own funds, and his own time.. And he invited everyone he rode with regularly to try it out with him..  Because he is a decent guy..  I highly doubt he meant it was awesome that his own team mate lost…  His just not like that!

Totally unprofessional! Forget Olympic spirit, that’s downright rude and un-sportsmanship.

It doesn’t matter who the person is you just don’t say that about a fellow competitor.
Unless it was you that won gold and the fellow competitor won silver - then I guess it’s ok.

spaz - 12 February 2014 03:07 PM

Totally unprofessional! Forget Olympic spirit, that’s downright rude and un-sportsmanship.

It doesn’t matter who the person is you just don’t say that about a fellow competitor.
Unless it was you that won gold and the fellow competitor won silver - then I guess it’s ok.

ok.. Wow go back.. And re read this please.. NO WHERE does it say Danny said he was happy Shaun lost….  no where!! 

and you know what gives it away??

“It’s great, man, because there are a bunch of good riders in our sport and they deserve some credit, too.

he is happy other people are getting recognition in snowboarding too.. Hell.. He did way worse than Shaun.. AND IS STILL STOKED THAT THEY WON…. C’mon.. Hardly being unsportman like??