The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Nuts or no nuts?

Lonestar teacherboy
Used to love that joint! The cheese covered fries!!

air180 - 06 February 2014 02:14 PM
Mizu Kuma - 06 February 2014 01:24 PM

What if one kid eats peanut butter for breakfast, then plays with another kid?????

exactly! What happens outside school like a shopping centres or friends houses or when they get a job in the future? People with nut allergies are always going to find themselves in places where there are nuts. Better they learn to manage it at a young age.

This makes sense to me. Parents, teachers, and kids should be equipped to deal with situations like this. I think there should be some general rules, as this is children’s safety we’re talking about, and they aren’t at the age where they make responsible decisions for themselves. But for the point above, i.e., peanut butter for breakfast, it’s obvious the proper solution comes from education and management. It’s a tough one for sure, and I feel sorry for the kids/parents affected by this.

Mizu Kuma - 06 February 2014 01:12 PM

For a second there, I thought Azz was in trouble!!!!!  gulp

Hahahaha NO NUTS, NO NUTS! LOL

Hahahahahahahaha 20% OFF 20% OFF     smirk

LOL

Ban nuts at schools? But I’ve got a classroom full of them…

tongue wink

Tambo - 06 February 2014 08:40 PM

Mmm, agree.
But I took Wildman to one of his mate’s funeral a year or so back. 16 year old who died from nut allergy. His Dad gave him the biscuit that caused his ultimate death. Have to say that’s an experience neither of us want to repeat. That kid had asthma, allergies and everything, he visited here a few times and I was totally paranoid, but he was the most gorgeous, lovely kids ever. The good die young. (Darwin or not).
Last year a kid in Munga’s year died… asthma or allergy induced, haven’t heard the final word there. Died in mum’s car outside hospital because she (nurse there) knew the ambulance would be too slow.

I suppose we are lucky our kids don’t have this issue. easy to say educate your kid to deal with their problem. I know how hard it is to educate the kids not to catch headline, and they don’t even come close to killing you. ( Bane of my life!!! just don’t get your heads that close!!!!)

I don’t know the answer. But in our lunchbox, no nuts.

Oh Tambo that’s horrible!!
Well this is my 10th year of teaching, and I have to say - only the past 4 years ago have nut allergies become so prevalent at our school. Like K2 said, all staff are thoroughly trained in anaphylaxis, we have posters all around the school with pictures of the children and their allergies. (And a lot of other systems in place for these children). We don’t ban nuts, but our slogan is “Nut free is what we’re aiming to be”. Not too sure that I agree with that - as others have said - children need skills to manage their allergies in the real world - but I understand with school being such a confined environment (and unknown with what children eat etc) - it’s probably best that no nuts are in lunchboxes. We have some families that are realistic and easy going about their children having to manage their allergies and some parents that are cotton-wool precious and really drill us about sharing food etc. It’s come to the point now where we can’t bring food in to cook, have fish and chip days, or children can’t bring in lolly bags etc to share (for birthdays). Which is sad. I don’t know where the line should be drawn… It’s tough!

Gluten free, dairy free, nut free, seafood free, meat free schools should be established and exclusive for cotton wool parents.

Oh wait, there already are - padded wall mental asylums.
Confusing myself ^ thats for the parents.  cheese

I had a giggle when I came across some research that suggested nut allergies were more common in children that were breastfed for the first 3 years. Not once did the article entertain that overbearing parents whine more about nut allergies AND overbearing parents breastfed for longer.

We breastfed longer than 3 years - there isn’t a much healthier and stronger 10yo than my girl.

I do wonder who the nut-free school policy is protecting:
Is it possible that parents and teachers are more afraid of seeing and dealing with anaphylaxis than protecting those that have it?
That parents are concerned that their children couldn’t handle witnessing an incident?