The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics - Official Chat Thread

I’d just like to point out that back when I referenced Alisa Camplin, I in no way intended to disparage her character. She’s always been a lovely person to me personally - and she even let me wear her gold medal once. That was nice. It’s heavy.

I was more referring to the fact that by her own admission, when she won her medal she was actually a pretty crap skier who could barely link turns. I just never want to see a scenario in snowboarding where gymnast types can excel in pipe or slope by being super coached in controlled environments, but have never even been freeriding.

K2_TeacherBoy - 09 February 2014 10:14 PM

That did pop into my mind. As some of the competitions we enter our students into earphones are banned for that reason.

I doubt it thought. think about it. These athletes would ride with music almost every day of their riding career. It would be abnormal for them to ride with out it.

I think it would be more distracting too hearing a voice in my ears between jumps

Yeh I ride with music EVERY time.. and one day my iPod wasn’t charged.. and I felt so awkward! Like my riding had no rhythm.. its a really odd feeling.. almost like your leaning it again for the first time.. but you have the skills there already.. (if that makes sense?)

And if some one calls me.. I usually have to stop, because I do get distracted talking to people.. (can’t imagine doing what they do in the park, while on the phone.. so nuts!)

trentradpants - 09 February 2014 09:54 PM

Enjoyed this more than the men’s, and that’s not just because of silje and jamie

Same.

Besides the stellar riding, the girls all kinda choked me up a bit with the way they handled themselves down the bottom - Torah in particular.

<FONT SIZE=+2>THAT is what snowboarding is supposed to be!</FONT>

Shaun White could learn so much from them.

Torah’s attitude was definitely a highlight. You can see she just loves riding with these girls and she’s a part of it because she loves snowboarding. Stark contrast between Torah and Shaun.

I’m stoked Jamie Anderson won because she deserved it. Other than that, I have no idea how the judging works.

chucky - 09 February 2014 09:32 PM
h0z - 09 February 2014 09:22 PM

How good was Jamie’s run!!  soooo much steeze!!

LOVED it! A well deserved win!

(I’m glad she won - because I congratulated her on her gold on Facebook before she’d actually won it, so that woulda kinda been embarrassing)

I agree with both these comments. thumbsup

The headphones thing…

I think you are right actually…. (maybe not in this comp), but I heard very recently of coaches doing exactly that, coaching during the Olympic comp. That was only in the last week or so, but I can’t remember which sport. I do remember thinking that it was a weird thing for the sport teacherboy

I watched with a non snow lover and their takeaway was how relaxed and happy and friendly they were!

Loved the hug between Jamie and Torah before the second run.

Coaches in ears has happened in sports like surfing; Layne Beachley was stopped doing it.

I take phone calls while riding all the time.
Big mountain riding and heli boarding rely on comms to survive a run - to be coached down the mountain.

BUT:
Slopestyle seems to more of an orchestrated run. Each rider have a limited amount of tricks they can achieve. They try and do the tricks that will score highest from the features they are most comfortable with.
I can’t imagine what a coach could possibly say.

Yeah, I reckon the last thing someone would want is a voice in their head while they’re actually tryin to picture the upcomin feature?????

I just think it’s their favourite tunes gettin them both hyped and relaxed at the same time!!!!!

spaz - 10 February 2014 09:14 AM

I can’t imagine what a coach could possibly say.

Sarka Pancochova’s coach…...... “shit thats gotta cane!!!”

LOL

It was so lucky that Sarka was wearing her helmet “properly”

As much of a hottie Silje is it’s rediculous how loose she wears her helmet with it sitting on the back of her head (yes I’ve noticed a lot of park rats and other competitors wear them that way)

Even on the smallish fall she had you could see it bouncing around and would probably do more damage than good if she had a head slam.

Yeh, I always have mine done up tightly enough so it can’t move around..  I mean, that’s why I got one and why I wear it.. What’s the point in wearing a helmet, and not even doing it up?? (I’ve seen a few people do this..)

I loved her comment after, where they asked her about it, and if she was ok, and mentioned that she would need a new one because it was broken..  She just looks at them and goes “well that’s what they are for, right?”

Yeh I dont understand the loose helmet thing. I remember in Whistler when riding fast, the wind would catch the peak on my Sandbox helmet and start to lift it off my head. I actually worked it out that from 60kph is when it started LOL
Thats when I realised I needed it a bit tighter. It was already on so it didnt slid back, but it was enough lift to tighten around my throat

I would have to agree with all the BW posse that Jamie Anderson’s style is amazing. She bends her legs all the time where most of the girls are so stiff.