The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics - Official Chat Thread

LOVE getting messages from old friends asking if we are watching, saying “I never knew snowboarding was like this, and now I get it”... love seeing skiers post…“how COOL is slope style snowboarding”....
Just love it!

The magic of the Games!!!!!

There’ll be another article published soon!!!!!

Can Snowboarding Rule The World?????

I hope Shaun White gets 4th in the Pipe!!!!!

Just curious, has anyone ever seen an elite men’s slope contest with sooooooooooo many sketchy landings?

“Snowboarding nowadays has no diversity, when I show up first day of practice I can call almost everyone’s runs out already because it has become so routine oriented. There aren’t the most creative features but I have found out that if you look at a course in a different way, you find so many ways to actually RIDE the mountain within the course. You find trannies and cool ways to hit features that were never meant to be hit, and that’s the only thing that makes contests fun to me anymore. 

I have so much respect for people spinning and flipping more because it is really gnarly. But what is PROGRESSION of tricks when there is DEGRESSION of style? I am definitely not one to claim I have good style at all but I do enjoy doing weird, different and creative stuff. 

And not only are most of the riders succumbing to this huck til you hit mentality but the judges are rewarding it. A lot of the judges have told me to not stop what I am doing because they love seeing it, I mean why would I stop doing what I am doing? I am having a great time and I am trying to push snowboarding the way I want to see it go, and I know i’m not saying it is the right way, just the way I would like to see it. 

But what bothers me is when the judges say stuff like, “keep up with the creative grabs and tweaks… the weird stuff” and then they don’t reward it any more than a basic run with same grabs and routine as the last 3 years? Everyone has their opinion… This is mine. At the end of the day it’s just snowboarding and we all love it. I just want to help preserve it.”

- 2014 Olympic slopestyle gold medallist, Sage Kotsenburg

He is so right,

Its basically, small rotations on the features, (maybe a rodeo off the last rail). Then (in no order) either, triple cork, double cork, 1440/1260/1080 either switch or regular with a grab in there…

I’m glad sage won.. because he actually has style, and looked like he was enjoying himself.. and THIS is why I snowboard.. because I enjoy it..

Heard Chumpy’s Samsung ad? He basically says, he doesn’t board to be the best or win.. he does it because he loves snowboarding.. I know its an ad for an electronics company.. but he has the right spirit!!  I would hate to be like White… just doing it because you are good.. all the medals I’m the world wouldn’t make me do something I don’t (or in his case, no longer) enjoy..  I would just get bored of it too easily..

Also so many of them had some dodgy runs/landings especially for this level!!

chucky - 09 February 2014 12:01 AM

“Snowboarding nowadays has no diversity, when I show up first day of practice I can call almost everyone’s runs out already because it has become so routine oriented. There aren’t the most creative features but I have found out that if you look at a course in a different way, you find so many ways to actually RIDE the mountain within the course. You find trannies and cool ways to hit features that were never meant to be hit, and that’s the only thing that makes contests fun to me anymore. 

I have so much respect for people spinning and flipping more because it is really gnarly. But what is PROGRESSION of tricks when there is DEGRESSION of style? I am definitely not one to claim I have good style at all but I do enjoy doing weird, different and creative stuff. 

And not only are most of the riders succumbing to this huck til you hit mentality but the judges are rewarding it. A lot of the judges have told me to not stop what I am doing because they love seeing it, I mean why would I stop doing what I am doing? I am having a great time and I am trying to push snowboarding the way I want to see it go, and I know i’m not saying it is the right way, just the way I would like to see it. 

But what bothers me is when the judges say stuff like, “keep up with the creative grabs and tweaks… the weird stuff” and then they don’t reward it any more than a basic run with same grabs and routine as the last 3 years? Everyone has their opinion… This is mine. At the end of the day it’s just snowboarding and we all love it. I just want to help preserve it.”

- 2014 Olympic slopestyle gold medallist, Sage Kotsenburg

So well said. Slopestyle should always be about STYLE. Of course technical tricks are important, but that doesn’t mean hucking and spinning 1620s with little or no style. I’d rather see a tweaked out, stylish grab, on a 1080 or whatever - to me that’s a more technical trick. Bigger rotations just mean you’re spinning faster; is that really so hard? Any snowboarding will tell you STYLE is the hardest trick in the book. The judges should reward it. But that won’t happen until snowboarders judge our own contests.

That said, Mark McMorris was robbed with his 88.75 score. That run should have at least been in contention for the gold. Thoughts?

chucky - 08 February 2014 10:35 PM

Just curious, has anyone ever seen an elite men’s slope contest with sooooooooooo many sketchy landings?

What did you think of the course?

Just on my way home now, stopped by the bakery to grab a spinach and fetta roll, and the old bakers can be heard talkin about how amazing the snowboarding was to watch!!!!!

“Can Snowboarding Be Saved”????? Who are these idiots that write such crap?????

I think maybe the judges actually need a bit of praise here, sure sage did all the style but they were the ones who recognised and rewarded him for it. Twitter & Facebook are blowing up with messages about how sage is single handedly saving contest riding, but the judges who recognise it had their part in this “saving” aswell

Loved seeing the guys after the event hugging and congratulating each other…. Won’t see that the same way when the alpine starts.
Just read an article where BBC bleeped Billy Morgan in an interview because he said “I’ll just huck it”. The interview was wound up immediately and the reporter apologized to the viewers for the bad language.

The same article says snowboarding has it’s own language including “chicken salad” and “slob air”. Not terms we hear much? (Or do we??)

Watching the replay on TV right now and the commentator called it the slob-style competition.!

the judges were drunk. sage had good run but not gold medal run. he didnt land his second jump clean and to land clean defines style. the best stylish rail run was seb toots as it was so perfect. only way you can agree with judges are if you dont snowboard and american. you people are stupid to disagree

I don’t think style has anything to do with landing cleanly.

Check Haldor’s (however you spell his name) roof gap in what ever that vid is, sketchy as hell but oozing steez.
I will take that over a perfect landing any day.

red1676 - 09 February 2014 08:26 AM

you people are stupid to disagree

Oh, by the way, welcome to Boardworld smile

I think you will find that none of us are stupid.  ollie

red1676 - 09 February 2014 08:26 AM

the judges were drunk. sage had good run but not gold medal run. he didnt land his second jump clean and to land clean defines style. the best stylish rail run was seb toots as it was so perfect. only way you can agree with judges are if you dont snowboard and american. you people are stupid to disagree

you go through the effort of signing up.. To an AUSTRALIAN SNOWBOARDING forum… to call us Americans who dont snowboard, because you disagree with our opinions?

errm.. Ok?..  Welcome.. To bw??