The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics - Official Chat Thread

This will be the thread where you can find snowboarding news, results and videos as they are released and announced. Feel free to post anything and discuss anything that is related to the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics, in particular the snowboarding events which is what we’re all keen for. 

The slopestyle qualifications are tonight at 5pm Sydney time. Opening Ceremony is Saturday at 3am Sydney time.

Some big news from today is that Shaun White has dropped out of the slopestyle event in order to focus solely on winning his third straight halfpipe gold. Dropping out a couple of days before the event starts means that there’s no time to bring in a replacement, effectively costing someone their spot on the Olympic team.

There’s certainly some controversy surrounding this, with Shaun obviously not a favourite to place in slopestyle, which many believe is his reason for dropping out. Personally I think costing someone their chance at an Olympic dream by dropping out so late is pathetic, but if anyone was going to be selfish about things it’s this guy.

What do you guys think?

Here’s a preview for the slopestyle course for those interested. It’s been described as “too dangerous” by some. I think that has a lot to do with this being the debut of slopestyle, but it doesn’t look like anything too extreme to me.

trentradpants - 06 February 2014 10:57 AM
ozgirl - 06 February 2014 10:38 AM

Tinder and the Olympics….

Damn it! First time in a while I wished I got a voli position!

http://miss-snowitall.com/2014/02/05/tinder-town-athletes-look-for-love-online-in-sochi-2/

HAHAHA

Id let Possum Tor tinder the heck out of me!!!

I concur!!!

I concur also!!!!!

You’d let a Possum Tinder you, Dyldo!!!!!

Looks pretty sick. But the landings of the jumps definately dont look steep enough. When your hucking doubles and triples you really need a steeper landing to soak up some of the impact.

Middle jib section looked rad, but again very mellow landings. Steeper would be better.

Top/first rail set up. Would have to see in person. but there is lots of stuff to fuck up on or hit if you throw yourself a bit off

ozgirl - 06 February 2014 10:38 AM

Tinder and the Olympics….

Damn it! First time in a while I wished I got a voli position!

http://miss-snowitall.com/2014/02/05/tinder-town-athletes-look-for-love-online-in-sochi-2/

HAHAHA

Now I was too polite to say anything there wink

Mizu Kuma - 06 February 2014 11:48 AM

I concur also!!!!!

You’d let a Possum Tinder you, Dyldo!!!!!

A possum, yes maybe.  a wilderbeast, NO. Would be the 2am door slam incident all over again!!

The slopestyle qualifications are tonight at 5pm Sydney time. Opening Ceremony is tomorrow at 8pm Sydney time.

Is this being televised or can you catch a online stream?

LOL Please do tell!!!!!

Hahahahaha

Just check that there isn’t a boyfriend or that he is far far away!

Hey Walker we already have a thread in Social to discuss the Olympics. there is some good stuff in there you may want to check it out.

Also the opening ceremony is not on till 3am Saturday AEDT

This link may help you - http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/sochi-events

No matter where you are in the world it will tell you the local time of all events.

I have been hounding Ten re air times. They keep telling me to watch tonights events on the app or go to the website tenplay.com.au

Ad’s on TV have also been advertising that they will show the women’s snowboarding slopestyle during the Big Bash tonight.

not what you’re thinking of oz, im pretty sure some of you have already heard this.
As you all know i dont mind dabbling around with tinder from time to time, this time in particular was in mackay before xmas.
I was chatting to this 24yo chick on tinder for a few days, she was nothing you’d write home about, but didnt look too bad. Turned out she worked just around the corner from my apartment and she finished work at 2am one morning, her work wasnt busy at all so we were chatting most of the night, convinced her to come round after she finished for some late night scrabble. Anyway she knocked on the door, i opened, viewed, said “nup, no way” & closed the door. Her pictures mustve been 4-5 years old, she’d gained 30-40kg & had a face like a dropped pie.
That’s night I found ‘The Line’