The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics - Official Chat Thread

Haha! Yep saw it.

Brilliant!

How did you find that site??

“athletes who choose to be homosexual are 30 to 40 times more likely to win a medal in the gay events, as the condition often makes sufferers incurably fabulous.”

LOL

ozgirl - 29 January 2014 08:56 PM

How did you find that site??

I dunno, just happened upon it.

Torah -on the SS course

“Torah says Olympic course may be a worry
Updated: 07:04, Monday February 3, 2014
Torah says Olympic course may be a worry
Course concerns overtook funding worries for Torah Bright on Sunday as the snowboarder and her coach expressed reservations about the building of the slopestyle facility for the Winter Olympics.

Bright, who’d been outspoken about a number of national team affairs, softened on those issues on Sunday but seemed sceptical about who Games organisers had contracted to construct the slopestyle course.

She said the Russian organising committee had not engaged the best course builders for the job.

‘When jumps aren’t built properly and they don’t match up in height, it can be a safety issue,’ she said.

‘As long as the jumps are built fine ... we’ll be able to manage it.

‘When we put our lives and our bodies on the line too, you want things built very well and as safe as they could be.’

Brother and coach Ben said that not choosing the best builders was ‘potentially an issue’ but that he needed to have a full course inspection to make a final call.

Their comments come after an Australian ski and snowboard cross course shaper left Sochi in a huff last week, complaining about conditions and fearing he wouldn’t be paid.

Others seemed more enthused about the course, including men’s competitor Scotty James.

‘It looks awesome,’ he said. ‘Obviously it is pretty big. I’d like to think that I am not scared of big jumps anymore but I think these ones will definitely test my limits.’

Torah Bright has a hectic schedule at the Games, competing in three snowboard disciplines of slopestyle, halfpipe and cross.

She only just qualified for snowboard cross but, in doing so, became the first person to manage the feat of making three disciplines in the sport at a Winter Olympics.

As for talk of ‘team outcast’, James and Bright were keen to put it to bed for now, both not wanting to go into any further detail about their social media sign-off which is based around what they perceive as unequal treatment in the national set-up.

‘I have empathy and compassion for all athletes in their individual journeys and no two athletes have the same road and that is what team outcast is for me,’ Bright said.

And of her brief experience of Sochi so far this trip?

‘There’s a lot of unfinished buildings,’ she said.

‘Apparently the water is brown sometimes coming out of the tap. I haven’t witnessed that but ... it will be great no matter what quirky things happen.’

Wait till they have to line up for toilet paper!!!!! LOL

Water comes out the tap brown here sometimes too.

Damn just read the story online. Crazy crazy stuff.

It really does suck when a big personality goes out with an injury like that so close to one of the biggest events of their life..

Confirmed now Torstein is out of the games with a broken collar bone.

Apparently officials have responded and will shave the jumps.

Looks like the Journo’s that were callin Torah a winger, will need to get some baby wipes in order to remove the egg from their faces?????

Well no one is blaming the course for Torstein - yet!