The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Some perspective on sharks

Ok I know how this thread is going to go;
It’s their playground and all that shit - blah blah blah
Western Australian government - blah blah blah…

So I thought I would do some research about our most beloved animals and injuries caused each year for a comparison to add to the support of shark protection.
Oh what I learned!

For years I heard about a surfer having their back broken by accident when a dolphin mistimed jumping out the back of a wave and landed on them, then there’s the injuries caused by captive porpoise - I’m sure some of us are aware of Tilikum the orca who killed their trainer a few years ago (not many know it’s not an isolated occurrence, he’s attacked several trainers and that wasn’t the only death) and the number of captive dolphin related injuries is notable yet we do nothing about porpoise attacks (except the japanese - bless them!!)

But more danger is present from wild porpoise; with around one human death every decade as a direct unprovoked attack and many more people have been injured.
When dolphins attack they do it because they want to injure/kill us
unlike sharks who do it unintentionally (apparently).

Sharks kill on average 1 person per year over the last 60 years.
Or at worst: 15 per year in the worst year of shark attacks.

When comparing sharks to other animals the deaths per year are;
>half a million people die from Mosquitos.
300 by hippos.
250 by elephants
130 by deer (US alone)
35 by dogs (US alone)
22 from cows (US alone)
20 from horses
Then consider poisonous animals like jellyfish, snakes and spiders.

The others things;
Obesity 30,000
texting 6,000
Airplane 1,200
Volcano 845
Fall out of bed 450
In the bath 340
Vending machine 13
Roller coaster 6

In Australia alone 34 people die/year by falling from a ladder.

I will say this - the people that approve culling policies (and such) are idiots!
eg: In 2002 coconut trees were removed from beaches in QLD after it was claimed 150 people die per year from falling coconuts.
In India coconut fruit was cut from trees to prevent US president Obama being stuck in 2010 during a visit.
It is highly unlikely anyone will ever be killed by a falling coconut - only 10 occurrences have ever been documented.

One of my most fearful ocean experiences was when a dolphin swam under me.

I consider the greatest way to die is to be eaten by a wild animal but with 15,000 people killed each year by lightning the odds are against a shark.

Almost 1.5 million people die each year in car accidents. I drive 10hrs/week! - we should cul bad drivers (oh please cul bad drivers).

Last week my daughter asked what was the most dangerous animal in the world? Easy answer - people kill more people than any other animal - PEOPLE!.
Murder and suicide are equal to vehicle deaths, add them together and we have a clear winner!

But that’s no surprise considering we are the most well practiced killers of anything.

agree agree agree

I dont like shark week on discovery channel. Other than that, sharks are pretty rad.

I have got nothin against sharks whatsoever, but I’m not sure why we treated them any different to any other animal?????

I don’t like to see any animal killed for any reason other than food, but for some reason we are very selective when we choose to protect one species over another?????

We kill thousands of roos over here for nothin more than gettin into our food supply, and everyone thinks that’s okay, but we get wound up when they kill a couple of sharks, or the when Japanese kill Whales!!!!!

Endangered species I hear ya say?????

Yet we don’t hear a mutter about Dugong, Green Sea Turtle in our own country, or anythin else about the multiple other countries that kill Whale, Dolphin, and even Polar Bear?????

The only problem is that sharks can’t give any cash to the WA tourism. It’s all about money we are stupid Australians for allowing the culling. It’s a disgrace.

An absolute disgrace.

I think it’s more of a disgrace that you can go into any supermarket, and still see Cage Eggs on the shelf?????

Egg laying birds rarely leave their nest anyway.

Free range only means they have access (usually through a small hole in a barn) to a yard.
Cage-free mean they live in a barn but don’t have an opportunity to go outside.
But are so densely crammed in they can’t flap their wings.

Organic eggs can come from caged birds (but not confined to a cage).
These birds have a high mortality rate because they don’t get vaccines or antibiotics or any other drug.
They can also be fed from organic pellets - not by digging in the ground.

It’s FACTORY FARMED FREE eggs that are the best (but they will never meet demand and never be in the supermarket).

All Factory Farmed eggs (organic, cage and cage-free) kill all male chicks and all birds at 18months.
Only organic doesn’t allow debeaking.
There are ethical issues with any egg in the supermarket!

I know the run down of different types!!!!!

My point was that you can still readily purchase eggs that are laid by chickens that are “nested” in a metal cage that is so small they can’t even turn around!!!!!

And all to save ourselves a dollar or two!!!!!

That is a disgrace!!!!!

ok.
I don’t like the marketing deception behind making out that cage-free, free range or organic is any less ethical.
Not much point to free range if the bird has no beak!
To meet demand farmers have little choice.
And I’m sure there is long list of disgraceful practices in any industry and exceptions of good ethics.

But is it more a disgrace than shark culling?

There is no reason to cul sharks, at least chicken practices are for a purpose.

BTW:
1,500 people die in europe each year specifically linked to chicken production.

The only reason why there’s a demand for cage eggs is due to the public buying them, and the farmers choosing to use those farming practices?????

Nobody forces anyone to do either!!!!!

It’s our falt.

What is your question question

spaz - 29 January 2014 05:51 PM

Egg laying birds rarely leave their nest anyway.

Incorrect, the poultry around here rarely sit on the nest, only to lay eggs or if they get broody. Otherwise they are out wandering around eating bugs and crapping right where I am going to walk hmmm

I bet they are older than 18 months old (past their egg laying prime).
Though I will concede that point.

I make a guess that ones in their prime spend most of the time nesting - especially if the eggs fertile - like you said “broody”.

spaz - 30 January 2014 07:09 AM

I bet they are older than 18 months old (past their egg laying prime).
Though I will concede that point.

I make a guess that ones in their prime spend most of the time nesting - especially if the eggs fertile - like you said “broody”.

No again, we have some just about to start laying, Isa Browns, know for that great egg laying capabilities and the rest are old breeds, so will lay consistently up to 4 - 5 years. We have chooks from a couple of months through to 3 years old, with most laying smile

The weather changes the amount of eggs being laid, they don’t like it hot or cold, springtime weather is the best.
No fertile eggs here, roosters get eaten, but when the weather heats up, so does the broodiness. We have a sin bin which they get a 24 - 48 hour stint in the get them back on track. One of the girls was really clucky this last week and needed a cold bath to bring her around.

We have purchased fertile eggs and stuck them under a broody chook a few times.