The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

What board should i get?

Hey guys i am new to the forum and fairly new to the sport of snowboarding. I have done 2.5 weeks in NZ and Australia. I am looking at getting a new board for next season and have narrowed it down to:
http://www.romesnowboards.com/product/boards/garage-rocker/
http://www.academysnowboards.com/20102011/propaganda.html
<link to Sierra Snowboards removed -rider26>
what u guys think? any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Hey redcorpjames, welcome to the Boardworld Forums!  cool smile

We need further information to be able to help you properly…

- Height
- Weight
- Boot size
- Riding style (how/what do you ride? how would you like to ride? all-mountain, freeride, freestyle etc.)
- Riding locations (where will you be riding mostly? are you going overseas?)
- Budget

Let us know all of the above and we will be able to help you much better. smile

Hey guys yeah thanks for the welcome and quick responses.
Height: 174cm
Weight: 68kg
Boot size: 9.5
Riding style: All mtn and park
Riding locations: Mainly Aus and NZ. Possibly USA and Japan.
Budget: $400 tops
I have boots already and will get the other things as time goes on( thinking union contacts).
Thanks in advance

Sierra snowboards has filed for bankruptcy so I wouldn’t order anything from them!

So that sites gunna be gone soon?

redcorpsjames - 22 September 2010 09:03 AM

So that sites gunna be gone soon?

I think the staff were all let go. The site is still up but I doubt orders are being taken and sent out. I would think everything is in lockdown while the court decides how things will be split between creditors.

Oh, and check out Capita boards. They are priced super competitively (aka cheap!)

Capita boards rock!

I got the Green Machine with Union Contacts and I love it.

Don’t buy anything from Sierra, they are bankrupt which means the bank owns it.

The bank in america will still take orders and charge your credit card etc but not send you anything

and I think this has happened quite a bit… :(

If you can find a good deal, head down to your local boardstore. They will talk you through it and in the end, its helping the local market, you get some warranty and a lot of places (like 1 track mind in North Sydney) give you free tune-ups and extras when you purchase from them smile

Thanks for all the replies. Where can i get capita on the net??
was looking at this forum board <ebay link removed -rider26>

Hey redcorpjames,

I deleted the eBay link in one of the posts, as we don’t allow links to overseas stores or eBay. This is purely to protect the snowboarding industry over here. Details here if you are interested: https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/152/

Ok, let’s talk snowboards!  cool grin

Firstly, if you think you are going to take this board to the USA and especially Japan, I would seriously steer clear of a board with an extruded base (i.e. Burton Blunt, Burton Dominant etc.). Let’s look for a board with a sintered base. A sintered base absorbs and retains wax much better than an extruded base; they are faster, stronger, and hold momentum for longer - crucial for riding powder (less getting stuck in powder or on flats!). Keep in mind: a sintered bases is more expensive (but spending a bit more now can mean a whole lot more riding/fun in the long term).

Now it sounds like you will be using this board for everything - all mountain, park, and powder. My suggestion would be an all-mountain freestyle board with some degree of rocker (rocker is great for freestyle and also provides significant float in powder). This will give you the most versatile board for what you need. Your other option is buying a board which is more geared towards the park, but you will be making some sacrifices for mountain/powder. You are only buying one board though, so personally I would go for the versatile option.

Mizu wasn’t wrong suggesting the Burton Custom V-Rocker. I’m not sure if you can squeeze that into your $400 budget, but it would certainly be worth looking at. Are you heading overseas this summer? If so, you can layby a snowboard at the sale price now, then claim your tax back at the airport - saving you approx another 10% off the price of the board.

Before I go on and suggest more snowboards, please let me know…

- Are we on the right track going for a versatile board as I described? (all-mountain freestyle with rocker and sintered base).
- Are you travelling overseas this summer? If not, when are you using the board next, and where?
- Would you be willing to break the $400 price barrier if we find you something worth breaking the barrier for? wink

Get back to me and we will continue the search…  cool smile

I would like to go to japan or USA this summer but would have to say my next trip will be NZ or Aus in june/july next year. Thats not to say that the next summer i wont be there. So i wont be riding pow for at least a year. 400 bucks is my max and want to spend less than that if i can, thats why i thought the Burton dominant. Does anyone know anything about O- matic snowboards? Also looking at bindings: Burton freestyle and forum recon bindings. Any suggestions for good cheapish bindings?? thanks

was looking at this can get it new for 150 O- matic Andres Wiig sig model

why not buy in the USA?

This board is from an aussie guy in sydney

I own an ‘08/‘09 Omatic Sweet. (Hampus Mosesson’s sig board) and I fricking love it! As I’ve progressed while riding it I’ve found it to be maybe a bit stiff for my riding style but its been sick for learning to jump, ride rails, all terrain and even a bit of heliboarding (just set the bindings back a tad). Nice and stable & all round fun.
Which model were you looking at?
Apart from the fact of how well my board rides, I love my omatic because you don’t see anyone else on the hill with them. Thats not ‘cos they are bad boards, more that they aren’t well promoted down here (I got mine in sweden). I really like having something different to the standard burton clones.