The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

What does Australia Day mean to you? The unofficial thread!

Poll: What does January 26 mean to you?
Total Votes: 17
Just another public holiday
A day off work
BBQ
Beer
It’s about the monarchy
Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi
Invasion Day!
Who cares
Something else (read my post)
deanobruce - 25 January 2014 05:09 AM

with AUS Day being spent down Torquay. Bring it!

thats near me!!! but im not around on ausday, I will be on the monday!!

and well said azz!!!!

This year I am going to big day out, so some of those bogan’s drc was worried about will probably be there.  And like Dylan I generally get monumentally trashed and end up on some crazy adventure which come morning makes me cry when I see the cost of my credit card bar tab generosity.

I also like drinking with all the tourists they usually enjoy Australia day more than everyone else.

DigitalReaver - 25 January 2014 08:56 PM

I also like drinking with all the tourists and usually enjoy Australia day more than everyone else.

AGREED! Im staying at Magnums backpackers Airlie Beach, foreigner central LOL

Adam Goodes!!!!!

He does not judge flag-waving, beer-swilling celebrations taking place elsewhere. ‘‘Good luck to them,’’ he says. ‘‘That’s what I love about Australia: we can do things the way we want to do them, because that’s the way our country is - no matter what culture you come from, you can come to Australia and practise your religion, you can practise your beliefs, and you shouldn’t be judged for it. That’s what I love about Australia, we have this freedom.’‘

Hope ya all have a good one no matter where ya are!!!!! shaka

I’m stuck at work myself, but at least I’m still in the greatest country in the world!!!!!

BTW; Christmas’s date is set because it occurs during the winter solstice, not because it’s the date JC was born.
It’s the most important seasonal transition of the year and a date we begin to rely on winter stockpiles (think “open gifts”).
It’s a true celebration of living on planet earth and participating in the art of survival.

In the southern hemisphere it’s summer solstice (the longest day of the year). Winter solstice occurs in late June. In the SoHe it’s less important.

NOTE: Solstice occurs around 20-26th Dec and June (depending on year).

Maybe we are looking at the 26th January the wrong way around;
Australia Day is a celebration of the coming together of people of different cultures. Those taken from their homeland and those that had the homeland taken and those that left their homeland - it’s a day the people celebrate being put together in the same place.

After all it’s not a holiday in merry old england or by their government - the country whose officials are to blame for all that was done wrong.

It’s celebrated by us, the people that reside here. The ones that fought and escaped from the governing officials, (or did our time in gaol and not allowed to return), It was the people on the first fleet (and subsequent fleets) that stood with the indigenous against the oppressors - they became outlaws. It was these people that the aboriginals showed how to survive in this country. It was these people that fought to protect the aboriginals. It was these people who became Australians.

Australia Day is about sticking it to the man and celebrating our differences, together.

It’s good to see ya off the juice, Spaz!!!!! shaka

Mizu Kuma - 26 January 2014 02:33 PM

It’s good to see ya off the juice, Spaz!!!!! shaka

Thanks.