The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

What does Australia Day mean to you? The unofficial thread!

Poll: What does January 26 mean to you?
Total Votes: 17
Just another public holiday
A day off work
BBQ
Beer
It’s about the monarchy
Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi
Invasion Day!
Who cares
Something else (read my post)

What are you getting up to?

Unfortunately bein a Shifty it’s just another day for me!!!!!

But I do like how it is celebrated!!!!!

Not the yobbo flag as cape crew style though!!!!!

A everyone probably knows I’m pretty anti bogan. Ironic I know when you look at the reputation of where I live. As I point out to anyone that listens yes “Aussie Pride” exists here and I bet they will be on show with southern cross and capes on Sunday but it’s really only a small sub section of people (you can pretty much draw a line around the block on a map) and in the time I’ve been here I’ve never had the displeasure of associating with any of them instead choosing to spend my time with the outdoorsy active types.

So having said that seeing as it’s my first Australia day actually in Australia for a couple of years I’m planning on hanging around here as there’s so many things on. We have a big surf comp starting on Saturday with some pretty big names as well as all sorts of entertainment and live music on the beach/parks. Hopefully the weather is nice enough to enjoy the beautiful outdoors/coast that we are so lucky to have on our doorstep as Australians!

Hottest 100, camping, hanging with my family & friends.

A long time ago I used to go to the Fisherman’s co op with many mates, utes and trailers and get 4 tonnes of ice and have a snowboard session in the backyard. I think its time I did it again, next year smile

Azz - 23 January 2014 09:09 PM

get 4 tonnes of ice and have a snowboard session in the backyard

Countdown to the “probably better coverage than Australian resorts” comment. LOL

LOL

To me it is celebrating this great country we all have the privilege of living in.

That’s is whether I have been here or overseas!

(ok maybe I am slightly more bogan-esque when I have been in other countries!)

Azz - 23 January 2014 09:16 PM

What an awesome idea! I wish I could spend my Australia Day doing that!!!

To me though Australia Day is relaxing with Family and Friends. And taking in the beauty that is our county.

Actually been thinking about this a lot more than I usually would because of an upcoming event.

There is actually a few Australians living in Åre this season, more than there has ever been…maybe 6 or 7?
One of them is chef at some pub in town and is putting on an Australia Day party on sunday arvo and playing the hottest 100 and selling coopers, prawns, tim tams etc.

I can’t decide if I want to go or not?
I don’t feel particularly proud of being Australian at the moment. I love Australia so much but find its current state and direction to be nothing short of depressing.

Also, I’m scared that I’ll meet these Australians and they’ll be ignorant bogans and I will just feel embarrassed…and all the Swedes who go there because they love the idea of Australia and Australians (there will be many, for most random swedes you meet, Australia is their dream destination) will get a different idea of what sort of a place it is/was/can be, than I might hope.
...I realise I have no control over this and it happens all the time anyway but it is how I feel!

But then I also know I might meet cool people, too!

I’m not that into the idea of celebrating Australia on Jan 26, either. To borrow from a commenter on a blog post I read this week: ‘other ex colonialist states don’t usually celebrate the day they arrived to colonise. They usually celebrate a milestone like confederation (or a revolution) that includes everyone and represents the building of a nation state with all its inhabitants’.

Plus there is the fact that I hate going out and spending money.

Despite all my misgivings, I am still considering going for a bit anyway

You are over thinking it cords, go along, have a few beers and a packet of Tim Tams.

Then go snowboarding shaka

I dont have any real plans, and historically i never do, i just wing it and 9/10 times I end up having a blast with mates. Hopefully tradition continues this weekend.

although i do like azz’s idea!!!
what does 4 tonnes of fishmans co-op ice cost?

trentradpants - 24 January 2014 08:56 AM

Last time I did it, a carton of VB smile

Azz - 24 January 2014 09:07 AM
trentradpants - 24 January 2014 08:56 AM

Last time I did it, a carton of VB smile

Bargain!!!!!!

I know where I plan to be on 26th Jan 2015 if Azz decides to trade another carton of VB!

I’m not good at making plans (or sticking to them when I do) - come this Sunday I will have worked Fri/Sat nights until the early hours so will likely wake up in the car, on the beach and be parked in by all the other beach freaks. So there I will stay.
Note to self: pack the esky.