The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics - Official Chat Thread

So many drugs used in so many sports.

The Olympics has always had segregation as an element. Sex, colour, race, money.
Whole nations decide to not attend because of it, where it’s held etc…

It’s part of the Olympic lure. downer

beachndogs - 07 January 2014 03:13 PM
spaz - 07 January 2014 01:01 PM
beachndogs - 07 January 2014 10:54 AM
spaz - 07 January 2014 09:52 AM

Interestingly; In most sports women should be better than men due to muscle vs mass. It’s believed women don’t have the psychological or nerve to be better.

Maybe it has something to do with conservation of the species: Men go to war, women breed.

Source? Otherwise I’m calling bullsh!t

It was some article I read a few years ago based on research into biomechanics. Another aspect is that men are at their physical peak for near 20 years whilst women only have 5-10years.

Which part do you think is BS bnd:
“Women should be better than men.” 
Or;
My conclusion as to why they aren’t?

Mostly the assertion that women should be better than men at most sports.  fake science at its best.  too many variables, no way to get a statiscally significant representative sample of the population

I recall a little more of what the article was about;
Was in regard to motor sport, pilots, jockeys etc.. (ones that women aren’t segregated); it then used the same analogy for sports requiring the persons own athletic prowess. Discounting “powersports” like sprinting that require short, explosive muscle fibre (men); in events such as 800m and marathon we should expect women to not just equal mens times but break them given the way female anatomy uses energy.
Men have near reached the limit whereas women have much further to go.

I believe if we look at WR and OR times women have been closing the gap in these more endurance sports - and that’s the evidence.

In regard to G forces exerted on pilots and race car drivers the smaller muscle mass of a women is an advantage as scientifically there is less mass to be affected by the forces and will result in better performance by a women. Women should not black/redout as early as men and should survive higher G impacts.

All science is based on theory - not fact. Science allows for things to be incorrect.
pseudoscience is when no scientific investigation is given.

For the article I read it seemed very scientific in it’s theory.

Tambo - 08 January 2014 12:54 PM

I’m sure many athletes use performance enhancing substances (PES)

Whats wrong with PES?

PES

Its not as good as FIFA14 but its ok

The countdown is on!

25 days to go!

Countdown to the opening ceremony (8pm Sochi)

Olympics Countdown

Really looking forward to the winter olympics! I do miss that Foxtel coverage though, it’s great having multiple channels instead of just one.

teacherboy

10 will have it across multiple channels!!!

One and 11 as well.

So I haven’t been keeping up with all this hoo haa, is anyone actually going over there still?

ozgirl - 13 January 2014 06:05 PM

10 will have it across multiple channels

Didn’t know this, everything I had read didn’t indicate more than just one channel. Thanks.

Hopefully they don’t just do the same broadcast across all their channels.

it would hardly surprise me if they did.

teacherboy

Thats just silliness Spaz!

But feel free to rub it in if I am wrong!

blizzard_22 - 14 January 2014 08:18 AM
ozgirl - 13 January 2014 06:05 PM

10 will have it across multiple channels

Didn’t know this, everything I had read didn’t indicate more than just one channel. Thanks.

When they have been saying “ten” they mean the brand - which has more than one channel. And one of them is a dedicated sports channel. There is no way it will only be on “Channel 10”

And also remember that securing the rights for this is not just the dollar amount.

They have to bid on what the are going to do with the content.

The IOC controls this just as much as the sports!

This is all from a press release back in 30th Oct.

Sochi Tonight - 6pm each night, hosted by Stephen Quartermain and Alisa Camplin.
Sochi Live - 8:30pm-6am live coverage.
Wake Up (10’s breakfast program) - will cross to Sochi each day for updates.
The Project - 6:30pm comic commentary segments.

One - 24hr coverage

tenplay (online) - “will feature an additional eight channels, putting viewers in the box seat to follow their favourite events and athletes around the clock.”

“An Olympic Winter Games app, interactive website and extensive social media support across all channels including Xbox and zeebox.”

From this I surmise that 11 will be for none-olympic programs (ie: regular content).