The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics - Official Chat Thread

I have my banana chair and a mocktail in anticipation.

beachndogs - 07 January 2014 10:54 AM
spaz - 07 January 2014 09:52 AM

Interestingly; In most sports women should be better than men due to muscle vs mass. It’s believed women don’t have the psychological or nerve to be better.

Maybe it has something to do with conservation of the species: Men go to war, women breed.

Source? Otherwise I’m calling bullsh!t

It was some article I read a few years ago based on research into biomechanics. Another aspect is that men are at their physical peak for near 20 years whilst women only have 5-10years.

Which part do you think is BS bnd:
“Women should be better than men.” 
Or;
My conclusion as to why they aren’t?

why would this even be something to argue about? Physiologically different. Mental strength dependent on the individual.

ready to Fly

Olympics have been ruled by inequality for far too long.

deanobruce - 07 January 2014 12:43 PM

I have my banana chair and a mocktail in anticipation.

Jez has a Banana Chair!!!!!

trentradpants - 07 January 2014 01:06 PM

I don’t believe in equality.
If equality existed, there would be no winner, evolution wouldn’t exist.
Equality is an important fantasy constructed by humans.

Individuals all have strengths, each person should be given merit for what they achieve in their personal endeavours not measured against how they compete against others.

The olympics is about who is the strongest, fastest, longest. Athletes who compete at this level are good at beating the opposition, they are good at winning in competition against others.

Importantly; The Olympics is a privately run games - the rules are set by those that run it.
I don’t think they particularly care what the public think. The IOC hold the events to make money by exploiting governments, individuals and the public.

I like the Olympics, it shows humans at their strongest, overcoming competition, pushed by their peers to be the best. It ignores our ideals of equality.

If you want equality wait for the Winter Commonwealth games…....

spaz - 07 January 2014 02:00 PM

Individuals all have strengths, each person should be given merit for what they achieve in their personal endeavours not measured against how they compete against others.

Maybe not measured by what gender they are as well?????

Although some of us guys are born with a Yard Stick!!!!!

Wanna see my yard stick miz?

On topic I await the day we have an “Olympics” or something similar where PED’s are required. See how far science can push the human body.

Go Science!

spaz - 07 January 2014 01:01 PM
beachndogs - 07 January 2014 10:54 AM
spaz - 07 January 2014 09:52 AM

Interestingly; In most sports women should be better than men due to muscle vs mass. It’s believed women don’t have the psychological or nerve to be better.

Maybe it has something to do with conservation of the species: Men go to war, women breed.

Source? Otherwise I’m calling bullsh!t

It was some article I read a few years ago based on research into biomechanics. Another aspect is that men are at their physical peak for near 20 years whilst women only have 5-10years.

Which part do you think is BS bnd:
“Women should be better than men.” 
Or;
My conclusion as to why they aren’t?

Mostly the assertion that women should be better than men at most sports.  fake science at its best.  too many variables, no way to get a statiscally significant representative sample of the population

I get the whole mental aspect.

It the whole “choking” thinking.

A lot of people are at the top of the pool on the WC circuit and choke at the Olympics.

But thats all eilite sport.

Shit that’s life! I can’t type for shit when someone is watching me! Also some people do better in exams than others. Doesn’t mean that they are better academically than others. Hell thats why school grades at solely based on exams only!

That’s why a lot of athletes have coaches for mental stuff as well.

I just don’t get the men vs women aspect…  or why it matters.

ozgirl - 07 January 2014 04:09 PM

I just don’t get the men vs women aspect…  or why it matters.

it doesn’t matter, or more like it shouldn’t. There are physiological difference between people of different races but if you suggested dividing or classifying athletes on the basis of race it would be totally unacceptable. Gender, or more accurately sex, holds far more weight than it should imo.

spaz - 07 January 2014 02:00 PM

I don’t believe in equality.
If equality existed, there would be no winner, evolution wouldn’t exist.
Equality is an important fantasy constructed by humans.

The olympics is about who is the strongest, fastest, longest. Athletes who compete at this level are good at beating the opposition, they are good at winning in competition against others.

Importantly; The Olympics is a privately run games - the rules are set by those that run it.
I don’t think they particularly care what the public think. The IOC hold the events to make money by exploiting governments, individuals and the public.

I like the Olympics, it shows humans at their strongest, overcoming competition, pushed by their peers to be the best. It ignores our ideals of equality.

If you want equality wait for the Winter Commonwealth games…....

My point is this.
The Olympics did not ALLOW female ski jumping because “women could damage their knees and other bodily bits”(not a direct quote but a paraphrase. What a crock of you know what.
Other than that, agree.
Sport gets spoilt by $$ and drugs.

Total crock. Agreed.
Women weigh less and therefore exert less pressure during landing. The IOC seem to make up whatever excuse they want even if it has no place in reality.

I disagree (to an extent) regarding drugs.
The olympics should not allow professional athletes or drugs.

I would like to see the performance enhanced games evolve from the Paralympics. People with webfeet swimming, biomechanic libs, drug enhanced super humans. This would push the frontier of science and medicine and allow to see what humans can really achieve.

I’m sure many paralympians use performance enhancing drugs.

I’m sure many athletes use performance enhancing substances (PES). Young bloke, mate of Wildman’s, was hooked up by a cycling team for the Aussie circuit. First OS trip with the sport, came home and dropped the sport totally, as he was amazed and ashamed that “everyone took drugs” and if you didn’t, there was “no team for you” and “no way to be competitive”. Whether or not that is true or not is not the issue, the issue is that that’s the perception from a rising star in the sport.

It would be interesting to see what happened if PES weren’t banned, but they had to be openly declared?