The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics - Official Chat Thread

I hear Torah had a win today in the Dew

Yeah, World Champ goin into the Games!!!!!

shaka

ozgirl - 27 November 2013 12:31 PM

(did you know that this is the first Olympics that women are allowed to compete?? Its the last of the male only sports)

Wow I had no idea!!!

Crazy isn’t it!

Did you read the story Blizz its really fascinating and there is a movie about the team. (Tambo found it on itunes)

Did you also know that the woman can do as good (if not better) distances than the guys!

Maybe that’s why they were never able to compete - the men couldn’t stand the thought that the distances the women could jump woudl be longer than the gold medal winning man!

I didn’t read the full story (ADD and all LOL) but I skimmed a lot of it. What is the movie called?

Its honestly well worth the read!

http://readytoflyfilm.com/

We watched the doco. Well worth watching before the games start. Interesting to hear the backstory for this new event to the games, which also sees introduction of slope style, ski pipe events luge relay and I can’t remember what else.

ozgirl - 19 December 2013 11:55 AM

Crazy isn’t it!

Did you read the story Blizz its really fascinating and there is a movie about the team. (Tambo found it on itunes)

Did you also know that the woman can do as good (if not better) distances than the guys!

Maybe that’s why they were never able to compete - the men couldn’t stand the thought that the distances the women could jump woudl be longer than the gold medal winning man!

And when the new jumps opened at whistler, a woman set the record for the jump, not a man!

Tambo - 22 December 2013 07:56 AM

Crazy isn’t it!

And when the new jumps opened at whistler, a woman set the record for the jump, not a man!

And Who currently holds it? smirk

The large hill, Hill record: 149.0 m (Gregor Schlierenzauer , 2009-01-25, WC)
Ladie’s hill record: 129.5 m (Atsuko Tanaka , 2013-03-30, L-N-CAN)
Small hill Hill record: 109.5 m (Adam MaƂysz , 2010-02-11, OWG)
Official hill record: 108.0 m (Simon Ammann , 2010-02-13, OWG)
Ladie’s hill record: 105.5 m (Lindsey Van , 2008-01-05)
105.5 m (Alexandra Pretorius , 2013-03-28, N-CAN)

Seriously, that’s close.

DylanV - 22 December 2013 10:30 AM
Tambo - 22 December 2013 07:56 AM

Crazy isn’t it!

And Who currently holds it? smirk

I’ve heard that Jeremy holds it a lot!!!!!

A little reminder that behind every olympian is someone who picks them up. Mum, Dad, mates, coaches whoever… a tribute to you. smile

Interestingly; In most sports women should be better than men due to muscle vs mass. It’s believed women don’t have the psychological or nerve to be better.

Maybe it has something to do with conservation of the species: Men go to war, women breed.

spaz - 07 January 2014 09:52 AM

Interestingly; In most sports women should be better than men due to muscle vs mass. It’s believed women don’t have the psychological or nerve to be better.

Maybe it has something to do with conservation of the species: Men go to war, women breed.

Source? Otherwise I’m calling bullsh!t

Just let me get comfortable…...