The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics - Official Chat Thread

Eddie The Eagle makes a comeback! 25 years later.

here

Most of the kids on here would have no idea who he is!

Who are you callin a Kid?????

ozgirl - 13 December 2013 10:29 AM

Most of the kids on here would have no idea who he is!

here you go kids.

The master himself.

Eddie “The Eagle” Edwards, is a British skier who in 1988 became the first competitor to represent Great Britain in Olympic ski jumping. At the time, Edwards was the British ski jumping record holder (a record later broken by others]), the world number nine in amateur speed skiing (106.8 mph (171.9 km/h)) and the stunt jumping world record holder (10 cars/6 buses).

Finishing last in the 70m and 90m events, he became famous as an example of a plucky underdog or ‘heroic failure’, and of Britain’s low ability at various sports at the time.In response to the Edwards phenomenon, in 1990, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) instituted what became known as the Eddie the Eagle Rule, which requires Olympic hopefuls to compete in international events and place in the top 30 percent or the top 50 competitors, whichever is fewer.

Edwards consequently failed to qualify for the 1992 Winter Olympics in Albertville, France and the 1994 Games in Lillehammer, Norway. He managed to get a 5-year sponsorship from Eagle Airlines, a small British charter company, to fund his attempt to reach the 1998 Games in Nagano, Japan but failed to qualify for those as well.

and just in case that’s not enough for you,....

he recorded a song in Finnish (Finnish????)

The man’s a legend.  beer

Mizu Kuma - 13 December 2013 11:05 AM

Who are you callin a Kid?????

Certainly not you old man!

And we know you were skier in your hey day anyway so of course you know who he is!

He was the reason why I took up the planks!!!!!

Mizu Kuma - 13 December 2013 12:29 PM

you’ve time to go back on the planks, there are still octogenarians jumping!  Masters Ski Jumping

Tambo - 13 December 2013 12:41 PM
Mizu Kuma - 13 December 2013 12:29 PM

you’ve time to go back on the planks, there are still octogenarians jumping!  Masters Ski Jumping

Nah, I quit that club after Shaun White and the FIS took over it!!!!!

Love that you chose the swedish video to describe him, Tambo. I’m old enough to already know who he was though.

Interesting/Funny thing in that commentary was that even if you doubled his point score, he still would have come last LOL

cords - 13 December 2013 09:52 PM

Love that you chose the swedish video to describe him, Tambo. I’m old enough to already know who he was though.

Interesting/Funny thing in that commentary was that even if you doubled his point score, he still would have come last LOL

hence the “eddie rule”. Can’t decide if it’s a good thing or not. I mean, it’s good to have a go….and if you are the best in your country you should be able to compete? On the other hand, it is a bit ridiculous….
Summer Olympics, remember the swimmer from I think Sierra Leone, who couldn’t even swim the 50m?

Eric the Eel?

Yeah. Eric the Eel Moussambani was from Equatorial Guinea!

cords - 14 December 2013 11:20 PM

Yeah. Eric the Eel Moussambani was from Equatorial Guinea!

That’s him!
As you can tell, my African geography is a bit poor.

1. Being disorderly or argumentative
2. Being bad tempered
3. Swaying
4. Falling down
5. Talking boisterously
6. Having rambling conversations
7. Annoying fellow team members]

oh man!! Good thing I’m not pro,(or any where near it for that matter haha) I’d be kicked out fo’sho’... I do ALL of this on an almost daily basis.. No alcohol required!!  (ok if I’m honest, mainly 3-7 haha I’m usually too happy to do the first 2!)