The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Paul Walker - RIP :(

Just heard some tragic news about “Fast and Furious” star Paul Walker. He was a passenger in a Porsche which crashed at high speed, unfortunately driver and passenger both losing their lives. He was 40-years-old. RIP, Paul. downer

Full story here.

Rip! Way too young..

Very sad… he was on his way to a charity event to raise money for the Philippine hurricane victims… :(

Yea they are being undetermined wether he was driving or passenger from what I heard a few hours ago, but I think he was a passenger in the Porsche, which means Nothing. Paul Walker was a Great Actor, I loved even his not as popular films, I still am shaking my head in disbelief. Dragon is in sorrow mode.

Very sad (and ironic). RIP.

The wife had an ongoing joke that i had a man crush on paul walker, its sad that now i have no crush anymore.

Dan83 - 04 December 2013 07:40 PM

Very sad (and ironic). RIP.

Quite a few people have been saying the way Paul Walker died is “ironic”. I don’t see why? As he spent his life around fast cars, I would have thought it was pretty much the opposite of irony, but perhaps I’m looking at it the wrong way?

Yeah there’s nothing ironic about a racing car driver dying whilst racing.  Not that Walker was a race car driver but maybe it’s life imitating art or something or that he protrayed illegal street racing/drifting in film and it sounds like the guy driving was partaking of some of the same when they crashed.

Maybe Ironic because he wasn’t the one driving?????

Good one Mizu

Or Ironic cause they WEREN’T (we will never know but the people saying it assume he was a good boy and wasn’t)  speed racing and he always survived the crazy stunts his character did in F&F?

ozgirl - 05 December 2013 10:27 AM

Good one Mizu

Or Ironic cause they WEREN’T (we will never know but the people saying it assume he was a good boy and wasn’t)  speed racing and he always survived the crazy stunts his character did in F&F?

this!! Its ironic because he did so many crazy things with/around cars with the movies.. And in day to day life he gets killed in a car accident..

it’s like if Travis Pastrana got killed by a spider bite.. He does so many dangerous things but something so small kills him…

NBG - 05 December 2013 10:09 AM

Yeah there’s nothing ironic about a racing car driver dying whilst racing.

Yeah mate, I agree. Regardless of who was driving or what speed they were doing at the time, it’s STILL within the realm of Paul Walker’s normal, everyday life. It just looks like many people simply aren’t too familiar with the genuine meaning of the word.

*Sigh*

iro·ny
noun \ˈī-rə-nē also ˈī(-ə)r-nē\
: a situation that is strange or funny because things happen in a way that seems to be the opposite of what you expected

that’s one the Webster definitions..

its ironic because you dont expect someone who is so familiar with cars and stunts in cars, to die in a car crash..  Sure it can happen to any one.. But of all people, and while just driving around, (not stunting)..

also the second reason this is ironic is…

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/shocking-but-true-paul-walker-death-hoax-was-swirling-on-internet-one-day-before-his-death/1/327472.html

there was a hoax about him dying the day before he died…

I dont know.. Maybe my knowledge of English words isn’t as widely ranged as some,peoples,on here.. But I saw some irony in it.. ( I think it was more out of disbelief that he was killed, and in a car perhaps?)

but each to their own..

Hoz I would say that’s not the case at all, racing car drivers die driving cars, big mountain snowboarders die snowboarding, big wave surfers die surfing.  They are all dangerous pursuits with a very real and present threat of death.  If I had to pick how a big wave surfer would die I would say more than likely it might be in the ocean, nothing ironic about that.  If the big wave surfer died by drowning in a blow up kiddie pool, that would be ironic.

I guess you could call most things ironic if you looked hard enough for a strange correlation somewhere.

That’s why I’d say it was ironic due to the fact that he wasn’t actually driving?????

When I first heard that he’d been in a car crash, involvin a high powered vehicle, I instantly assumed that he was behind the wheel!!!!!

Unexpectedly, he wasn’t!!!!! (Unexpectedly can be replaced with Ironicaly)