The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Yes 420

Ahoy boardworld peeps
Its that time of year again where i get a bit of an itch that a new board can only scratch. Do i need a new one? no not really, do i want a new one?...yes, yes i do, and funnily enough theres a 2 pronged answer to that questions actual answer.
Ever since demo’ing a Burton Nug a few seasons back Ive been bitten by the short board bug. So much so that i went and got myself a used Nug to try out for a season to see if i really like it and that it wasn’t just some spur of the moment interest. After riding it for 2 seasons now and even using it as my primary board in japow i came to realize that i really dig short boards.
That being said the nug did have a bit of a short coming over in japan. Once my wax had worn away and we were greated with a 50cm overnight dump, if i didnt pretty fang the hell out of it and keep my speed up by only doing little turns, my manly girth was stretching my length choice a little 2 far and a couple of times i was left behind stopped dead in ball deep pow. A quick fresh wax job each night kept me on top of this problem for the rest of my trip but it wasnt really ideal.
So I decided after this years Aussie season I would start looking at getting a new nug in a couple of cm’s longer, but in my research I came across the YES 420. For those of you who dont know, its another for whatever reason ‘drug’ theme named short board that is really short ie 148 cms short!!!!!! But what it lacks in length it makes up for in width with it rocking a barn door worthy 28.6cms across its ample guts and a 6 metre sidecut to allow this titanic of a board to actually turn.
Now Im a fairly sizable chap, 6’1 and 90kgs with size 11 hooves and from what Ive read, this yes board sounds like its amazing in POW and might be the answer to my japow ‘troubles’ but id also like to use it here in aus during our snow season for regular resort riding like i do with my nug.
So im wondering if anyone has demo’d one or heard what its like to ride. Ive done some googling and vid review watching and it all seems good but id just like some more personable advice as to what its like on conditions similar our resorts and if its ok to use on groomers even though i spend bugger all time on them.
Its kinda directional in shape but I dont spend a lot of time riding switch as it is and would rather be out slashing lines and bumping natural hits than trudging the park all day.

Here it is, i dont care much for the graphics either but thats easily change and i dont get the why short boards keep getting stoner references but each to their own.

radical
trent

My recommendation is GET IT! I think you will love it. Especially coming from a Nug. My mate had a Powder Nug and loved it, and another guy I rode with had the 420. Looked awesome and looked like it shredded the pow, especially the trees, so well!

He said it carved on groomers pretty bloody well too, and Johan? (spelling/forgot his name :s ) from Underground said its super fun on spring snow too.

I say take the leap and just get one. If you dont like it ill buy it off you

Mate, get a Gentem or a Moss like in the vids that you posted!!!!!

That is my dream!!!!!

You know that deep down inside that it is also yours!!!!!

Hey Trent - I have ridden the YES. 420, so I can give you an honest appraisal of how it rides…...but….I am the YES. rep, so hopefully I am able to remain somewhat subjective about how EPIC this board actually is.

The 420 gets most of its displacement (float in pow) from its width (a whopping 286mm underfoot), and its flat base profile (& rockered tip).  And although I have not had the opportunity to ride it in powder, I have however ridden it on hard pack (at some board testing in WinterPark, Colorado).  And because the 420 is almost a “twin”, it actually handles the hard pack really well.  And by “almost a twin” I mean that it has only 10mm of setback, and only 10mm of taper - which compared to other pow specific boards is very minimal.  It has a very deep sidecut, which makes it quite dynamic on edge, but please note, due to its waist width, it will feel very slow edge to edge at slow speeds, but once your speed is up you will be very surprised at how well it manoeuvres.

I hope this info helps.

PS - the 1314 graphic that you attached to your post is an ‘interpretation’ of Mt. Baker - done by Dustin Ortiz (  http://www.dustinortiz.com/  ).  It looks amazing in real life, and is one of those graphics that is almost too good to actually ride!! 

PSS - If your having trouble finding a 1314 YES. 420 (as they are pretty limited), then the 1415 board (which dustin also designed) which will be in aussie/kiwi stores next April.

I’d say get it for the Japow but don’t get it for Australia riding. It won’t be as fun as the nug.
What size Nug were you on btw?
The reason you were stopping in the japow was yes, due to a lack of speed. A longer board will plane better. It’s a trade off - short fun board (nug) for all condition fun (but with some negatives in pow) or a short pow board which is great in pow, but has negatives on hardpack.
I am loving the Burton Root - it’s a flat top nug with side effects and a little taper. It holds an edge better than the nug, so carving is no problem, but still floats.
If you want a short board that is good in pow, the 420, the fishcuit, a 56 fish and the green lizard base one from Dirksen on Salomon (I think it’s called the Derby) are the ones you want.

Hey Mr Radpants

I just bought one of these bad boys today.  I will let you know what its like in Japan, and if you make the trip up to perisher this coming season you can of course take mine for a spin.

AWESOMEEEEEEEEEEEEE, cant wait to hear what you think!!

For 2015, Burton will have a short/wide powder board in a similar vein to the YES 420. It’s called the Pile Driver, and the shape is actually a lot like some of their boards from the late seventies, like the Backhill.

If you have instagram, follow Dave Downing. He’s been riding the Pile Driver in Japan in the last few days. Pile Driver is 140cm.

Yeah, this is Dave with his Pile Driver.

Interesting looks like he has the set up for NoBoarding too. Are the bindings on top of the grip pad or is there a cut out do you think?

If it’s like the fishcuit then the bindings will be on top of the stomp pad.

Well I had a few weeks on my YES 420 in February in Japan, I took the 420 and Gentem Giant Mantray 159 and a Prior Powstick 176. The YES 420 was the board I least likely wanted to ride however I ride a NUG 150 as my resort board so I thought after 2 days I would give it a go, what a board it was quite possibly the best powder board I have ridden in trees due to the speed and super quick turn initiation nothing comes close. I thought my Gentem was the best board I have ever ridden but the 420 was better in trees it even ripped in wide open bowls which we hiked to and finishing up with the best tree boarding ever it was ridiculous. The only negative with the YES 420 is it does lack a bit of float on super deep days compared to the Gentem however not really an issue if anybody is coming off any mass produced resort board you will be blown away on a 420 and blow all your crew away when you are in deep Japan tree runs they will all want one. I am getting the Yes 420 152 this year as I think it will sort out the float issue in super deeps well as taking a new Gentem Big Fish 163. The prior was sold as its a board for open bowls perfect for Alaska and not tree riding.
I have a few vids attached to see the performance of the 420, enjoy.

Hey Nigel, just use the numbers in the Vimeo string!!!!!

And welcome to Boardworld!!!!! shaka

Mizu Kuma - 27 April 2014 10:36 PM

Hey Nigel, just use the numbers in the Vimeo string!!!!!

And welcome to Boardworld!!!!! shaka

fixed smile

thumbsup