The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Skateboarding has been legalized at Lincoln Square? Yay or Nay?

This photo has been floating around Instagram and Facebook this morning and I hope it is legit!
Skateboarding has been made legal at Lincoln Square in Melbourne. It is an iconic Melbourne skatespot, and even though there has always been “no skating” signs there, it has been the main skate hub for people to head to if they are in the city.
Earlier this year I filled out a survey about skateboarding and it seems many others did. I really hope this is all true and we can now skate there with out being bothered by security or police for doing nothing wrong. Next thing I want to know is will they keep capping all the ledges? Will they remove the excessive amount of caps that are currently there?
If anything they should now make it more skate friendly; put metal edges instead of capping. This will be better off in the long run for the condition of the monument.
Either way its a step in the right direction!

{edit} Changing title

I reckon theres zero chance of that being real. I doubt a council will ever allow skateboarding at place like that for legal reasons ie insurance.
Plus that fact that its a memorial for the bali bombings, diggers will never allow that in a million years.
Its just someones clever bit of graphic art i thinks

We will have to wait and find out.

Are you guys/skaters grinding on a memorial? or just using the general vicinity?

If so man thats not cool.

Its a big open space. Its just apart of a council park. The fountain its self is a memorial. Its designed for people to be able to walk over. We dont damage “memorial”.

People are allowed to walk there, bike there, roller blade through there, push prams through there, drink there. So i think its bullshit that we cannot skateboard there.

If you have actually been there you would know what this is about

During summer I start my skate there every weekend. I always look after the space and dont leave rubbish everywhere or trash anything

pretty much its a plaza which is joined onto a park.

OK, Ok i get ya! no need to bombard me with repsonses LOL

Cant say i ha ever gone there,

haha, sorry touchy subject LOL

I am friend, not foe gulp

Here’s some of the new “features” that they’re gonna install!!!!!

Apparently they were gonna cobble stone the whole surface making it unskateable. Nothing has come of this yet though. Honestly if skaters werent there the place would hardly see any traffic. The number of tourists and people in general that stay and watch the skateboarding and takke photos/videos is quite large. There is still a big pedestrian presence there and skaters never cause any trouble

K2_TeacherBoy - 24 October 2013 04:53 PM

Apparently they were gonna cobble stone the whole surface making it unskateable. Nothing has come of this yet though. Honestly if skaters werent there the place would hardly see any traffic. The number of tourists and people in general that stay and watch the skateboarding and takke photos/videos is quite large. There is still a big pedestrian presence there and skaters never cause any trouble

I dont have a problem with skaters skating there, hell i even used to skate there while they were constructing it many many many moons ago (side note, there used to be a skateable pool in the hospital near by aswell) but to think that the council will ever acknowledge it as a legal place for skateboarding is a little optimistic. If they did that they might aswell open up the shrine of remembrance aswell and let skaters use the eternal flame to light their ciggies. Its a memorial first and foremost and a park/public area second, and any council anywhere would be reluctant to allow a sport such as ours to be allowed to use it the way we do.
That being said, if i didnt have shitty 30+ year old knees and i still lived in melbs i would probably still skate their RESPECTFULLY like you do brad, its a rad skatespot, kind of like our version of sydneys martin place pit.

Just out of curiosity (I’m doing a case study on the site), what about this site appeals to skateboarders like yourselves? Is the the materials of the site, like the concrete and granite, or the structures on it (e.g. the platforms etc)? What does it have that other sites lack?

k2 you can’t skate for crap, why do you care haha… roller blading is already legal so your happy hahaha snake

is that Lincoln Square in Lygon St, Carlton?