The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

“CHASING ICE” captures largest glacier calving ever filmed

On May 28, 2008, Adam LeWinter and Director Jeff Orlowski filmed a historic breakup at the Ilulissat Glacier in Western Greenland. The calving event lasted for 75 minutes and the glacier retreated a full mile across a calving face three miles wide. The height of the ice is about 3,000 feet, 300-400 feet above water and the rest below water.

Chasing Ice won the award for Excellence in Cinematography at the 2012 Sundance Film Festival and the Best Documentary from the International Press Association. It has won over 30 awards at festivals worldwide. Still playing in theaters nationwide.

That is insane!!!

it doesn’t seem that big untill the time lapse at the end…

I’d love to see that in real life!!!!!

We watched this full movie and it was just amazing

I thought this thread was about your dream to be an Olympic Ice Prancer Jez!!  rider26

we’ve talked about this movie, maybe on FB, with a few BW crew, and it got into one of “those” discussions. I know Darkclouds thought it was great, we did too.

I watched this last week. Stunning cinematography but it raised questions in my mind: especially that they contributed the melting of glaciers toward humans. I understand the science they attribute toward it, the graphs and numbers but I’m not won over.

It came across to much as a wankathon toward one individual, masked by an ecological message.
Was it about melting glaciers or the lengths he will go through to document them?

I’m on the fear mongering side of the fence. Without the threat of war, nuclear weapons, meteor impact, nostradamus prediction, hole in the ozone etc. As humans we generate unfounded fear (when there is no threat) and melting glaciers are our current obsession to feed it.

It’s certainly worth watching to see the massive breakaway. It’s vision that I will never forget.

spaz - 21 October 2013 08:50 PM

It came across to much as a wankathon toward one individual, masked by an ecological message.

^ This.

It was self-indulgent drivel, specifically designed to elicit an emotional response in order to foster support for their cause - but it WAS really pretty.

I agree!!!!!

Just by that clip, you can tell its a Global Warming, Climate Change, Dramatical Masterpiece!!!!!

It’s a shame really, cause it kinda mars the footage of a natural phenomenon!!!!!

Reminds me of those movies where they show beautiful images, or extreme sports, then they follow it all up with a sermon about Jesus at the end!!!!!

Tambo - 21 October 2013 02:42 PM

we’ve talked about this movie, maybe on FB, with a few BW crew, and it got into one of “those” discussions. I know Darkclouds thought it was great, we did too.

Yeah I think Azz posted something on fb about the flick and that is how Dark and I heard about it.

and Kudos to the dudes who did that. Even if I didn’t agree with the concept of climate change, I am in awe of the ideas and passion, and the amazing things they have done. Better than sitting in an office any day.
grin

but there are more fun ways to destroy your knees ie: snowboarding
(there were a few flaws in regard to his knee problems)

My biggest dislike was that they didn’t just start by saying that James Balog isn’t a photographer they mentioned it a few times.
He is such a photographer given his passion, determination, patience, employment and results.

I agree!!!!!

If ya get a camera of any description, point it in any direction, and take a photo of anything, then technically you are a Photographer!!!!!

And he earns money from having his photos featured in National Geographic - one of the worlds leading photography publications!

spaz - 23 October 2013 02:00 PM

And he earns money from having his photos featured in National Geographic - one of the worlds leading photography publications!

I’m sure as hell won’t be posting any of his images in here or i will really be in trouble smirk

Mizu Kuma - 23 October 2013 09:09 AM

If ya get a camera of any description, point it in any direction, and take a photo of anything, then technically you are a Photographer!!!!!

Nope. That’s like saying that anyone who does their own tax return is an “accountant”.