The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

SOOOOO what cha think?

Ahoy peeps,
At the shred some of you may have seen the ‘toolace’ shoelace belts i gave out to a few of you. Basically it was a shoelace belt with an anodized aluminum bottle opener on one end. Handy as all heck and rad too boot.
Anyhow it was always my intention to turn it into more of a toolace with a phillips head screwdriver. Ive been coming up with many many MANY designs, so many Im at the point now where Im bordering on sick of it BUT its at a place where Im kinda happy with how it looks/works.
Now its come a long way from the simple bottle opener stage but I’d love some feedback on what you guys think and what changes you think would make it better.
Once Im at a point where Im 99-100% happy ill get a few prototypes made up out of metal (the ones ive made so far are out of an easy to cut compressed foam called forex) and see how they perform.
The final product will most likely be made of titanium for weight and strength but if the price is stupid crazy to get them made, ill revert back to aluminum again.

Anyway I give you the ToolACE

As you can see its pretty Skate tool orientated but it will also work awesome as a snowboarding tool.
For those of you that are shoelace belt fans, i might work on a keyring / belt loop version aswell.

So hit me with your thoughts my lovely boardworld friends
stay rad
trent

Can I have a Prototype please?

Looks really good man, nice work!

How big/weighty is it compared to the one I have now? Just worried it may become a bit of a ball slappin hazard!

But looks good mate!

yeah its going to be a little heavier, and thats the reason im looking down the titanium path, BUT with my plastic prototypes it can be held in place with your pants belt loops if you kinda hook the bottle opening part around it.Its been there all night and hasnt fallen out.

That being said though, i plan on making it a light as physically possible!!!

Looks cool, but does the Phillips head stick out enough to properly sit in a screw head?

Heres one of earlier models i came up with, I think it might actually work better than the other i posted, especially with the phillips head issue. Its lacking a flat head screw driver though

Only prob I can see with this one is the kingpin nut. The phillips head, or even the actual frame has potential to not fit between the kingpin and the hanger. I feel a kingpin tool needs to be open on one side unless it is real thin like a skate tool/ratchet head

Its probably worth asking around the engineering faculties of any uni’s close to you to see if they have anything that might help you get some prototypes on the cheap.
At UWA I did my honours thesis in laser sintering (3D printing with metal powders) so i made up a bunch of bottle openers and they (UWA) are now playing with titanium. If you found the right uni/lecturer/student they might provide an avenue for a lower cost production.

yeah k2 i thought that might be an issue and ive only got grind king trucks (gave my old tensors away) so i cant even test it out on paper. I think i could make the edges thinner making the hole close to edge giving more room to spin. Might have to hunt out some old trucks to find out. If not, ill head back to the drawing board again smile

Thanks for that heads up 900steve, something ill def look into!!

is that metal actually purple or is it a coating??
3D printing has come soooo far so quick!!