The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Sustainablity in Boardsports

Sustainability in Boardsports
In this WEBisode we talk about the ecological footprint we left on our Trip and give suggestions for more sustainability in the world of boardsports. Inspired by the interview with Tony Butt, and his book ’Sustainable Guide to surfing’ we embeded the interview into our own little story.

This was kind of… odd.

I’ve always backed anything that helps clean up or sustain our environment. But good intentions alone don’t achieve much. In fact sometimes they can be worse.

There is a thing happening in society these days called “Brown Washing” (no I’m not talking about K2’s undies). Brown washing is when a company takes a product like a paper coffee cup and asks for it in a washed brown colour, so it “resembles” a recycled coffee cup. So they can appear to be doing the right thing. To me, this is far worse than just using a normal cup.

I’m not saying what these guys are doing is that bad, but it is a lighter version of brown washing.

They say HIKE. Yes, agreed, hiking will reduce your foot print. Great. But then -

Repair your own surf board. Why is that more enviro friendly than someone else doing it?

Make your own board… Are they serious? There is no way I can think of that that would be good for the environment. Far more power used, far more waste material. And I bet they break sooner and have to build another one. NO WAY they can build a board using less resources that a company who mass produces board.

So basically they are just patting themselves on the back for doing stuff they were going to do anyway.
All attempts at being greener are worth while. Even failed ones. But please just be realistic about what you are actually achieving (or not achieving). Every little bit counts. But some “green” ideas and products have no research put into them. Or worse are just straight out lies to get a few more customers to buy their false crap.

Think about the “green” things that make sense to you, and do them every chance you get. And support those who have dedicated their lives to researching how to make big changes.

AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO THOUGHT THIS WHEN THEY SAW IT??

I agree!!!!!

I reckon the whole thing was a bit of a Wank!!!!!

i love you Andy!

Prius = more ecological waste than a big, old, heavy V8.
But in the long term would consumers ever consider an electric car..?

To be more on topic (sort of)... Mass produced boards generally use vacuum bagging in the glassing process. Safer, less waste. The long term medical problems associated from making your own board are harmful enough to discourage most. But (there’s always a but) the satisfaction and knowledge gained from shaping and glassing your own does wonders for your surfing ability. Even watching a shaper create your board from beginning to end is a fabulous experience.

Personally I would like a truly green board, One I shaped from a tree, cut down with an axe, shaped with a hand plan.
I just need to find a tree! Do they exist anymore?

Oh thank god. Sometimes It’s nice to know that those around me also like to think for themselves occasionally. Rather than just being told what to think, and nodding politely.

Being as green as possible is what we need from every person on this planet.

But I personally feel that pretending to be green is FAR far worse than doing nothing at all.

@Spaz - I’m against people lying about the facts of making their own boards. But I am definitely NOT against making your own boards. I would LOVE to try my hand at making my own boards. I just won’t make crazy eco claims about it if I do. And I REALLY don’t want to encourage the world to go and build a million backyard mini factories.

So rather than only ranting and complaining i should probably offer a solution rather than just pointing out the problems (that’s the easy part).
I really respect all the board companies that are putting in an effort to make their board production greener.

If you are looking for the “greenest” snowboard u can find, chances are that Arbor make it.
You can check out their boards here - http://www.arborcollective.com/

Arbor uses renewable bamboo or poplar wood cores. Biodegradable plastic top sheets and recycled metal edges.
They have been as green as possible from day 1 and have been getting progressively better from then forward. I respect that a lot.

The honest fact is, there are no boards that are 100% green. But that doesn’t mean we should do nothing. Just because recycling your garbage doesn’t save the world completely, hasn’t stopped you from doing it right? Of course not.
Reducing damage is far better than just ignoring it.