The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Your Quiver — Post your ride here!

DylanV - 27 August 2013 10:12 PM

How do you find the now ipo’s vs the cartel’s? In regards to responsiveness and comfort

The Cartels are hands down one of the comfiest bindings on the market. In my opinion, Burton has been the leader in bindings for a long time. Comfort-wise, these Cartels are the bomb. That said, I have always found Cartels a bit soft for my personal taste. I prefer a stiffer binding with immediate response.

The IPO bindings are remarkably comfortable. Being a fairly new company, I am surprised at how well the minor parts are being manufactured after such a short time. Even since I tested the prototypes, they have come a very long way since then! The straps are sick and the ratchets are top quality. I also really like the shape of the straps. I find a lot of bindings on the market have really bulky ankle straps, but the Now straps are shaped perfectly to my liking.

Response and feel is where the Now bindings come into their own. I won’t talk in detail here as I am saving it for my review. But they are super responsive with excellent board feel. Some people might argue that the hinge would lose responsiveness, and in my review I will explain why it actually has the opposite effect.

rider26 - 27 August 2013 10:22 PM

That said, I have always found Cartels a bit soft for my personal taste. I prefer a stiffer binding with immediate response.

Wow not expecting that, ive found my ride rodeo’s awesome but im thinking the cartels are more responsive after having a quick few laps on lano’s board with the cartels the other week.
Im going to swap my cartels back onto my DC and see how they feel after riding the rodeo’s for most the season.

Looking forward to you’re full review on the now’s shaka

Don’t use me as an example though. I prefer a stiffer binding to most people. The Cartels are quite responsive, and I can make do with them for sure. But I’ve always felt they are a bit soft for my liking (when freeriding), hence why I stepped up from the Cartels to the CO2s many years ago (they don’t make the CO2 anymore, but it was stiffer than the Cartel and oh so sick!).

Yea i dont think id like much stiffer than the cartels, especially considering the amount of time i spend in the parks

After tryin NOW in Whis, and then going back to my bingings (flexy) and finneys malvitas (flexy) I realized I love a flexy binding. I didnt realize how much I rode with my ankles like skating

Picked up my new board and bindings on the weekend ollie
Ready for Japow!

that’s purrty!

rider26 - 27 August 2013 11:26 PM

Don’t use me as an example though. I prefer a stiffer binding to most people. The Cartels are quite responsive, and I can make do with them for sure. But I’ve always felt they are a bit soft for my liking (when freeriding), hence why I stepped up from the Cartels to the CO2s many years ago (they don’t make the CO2 anymore, but it was stiffer than the Cartel and oh so sick!).

Get some FLUX DM’s to try!!!!!

I’d lend ya mine, but they’re Mens Size!!!!!

Finally posting this:

2013 Jones Flagship 164
2009 Rome Anthem 162
2009 Burton Un..Inc 157
2012 YES. Big City 158

Cartels go also on the YES and sometime on all of theme.

Nice quiver, mate! thumbsup

New addition to the quiver. 54 Never Summer Proto HD.

Nice!!!!! shaka

Looks like its got a fair bit of Rocker in the middle?????

Yeap it does. Totally different from C2 which on my T.Rice (sold it haha) the board lay flat when you set it on a table.

Yeah I think that’s what I didn’t like about my TRice?????

It was neither a Rocker, nor was it a Cambered Ride!!!!! It was probably too much of an even Hybrid that it didn’t really have a noticible consistent feel?????

Unlike say, a CamRock Yes for example, that has a definite Cambered Feel to the ride!!!!!

You demoed that last season yeah????? Does it ride with a more Rockered Feel?????

The proto? Yeah I demoed it last season. It does ride with a more rockered and loose feel when flat base. But once you lay it down on edge you can really feel the camber bites in and pops you in and out of turns.

I have to disagree with the CamRock on YES to a certain extent. When I tried Marc’s Tasman it felt loose (looser than my T.Rice, maybe even looser than the Proto) to me and doesn’t really have a cambered feel. But my PYL with that much camber on it (I still believe it shouldn’t have that much camber, every pics and videos show otherwise), definitely has a cambered feel to it.