The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Powerline Network Adapters for Home AV????? (This is Not Spam)

So, (This is probably right up DRC’s or TJ’s Tech Nerd Vein)

Who uses/has used a Powerline Network Adapter setup?????

Can they be used in Australia?????

Are they any good for Home AV Linking?????

Or should I just get the drill out and use Ethernet to a Multi Outlet Modem?????

I wanna hook up TV/Receiver/ATV/HDD Recorder/Puter!!!!! (Plus maybe another TV)

Do they work well?????

What are the Negatives?????

I’ve been lookin at somethin like this!!!!! TP-Link Adapter * I haven’t shopped around for a best price yet, as I’m not sure if I will go this way yet?????

I’ve never used them but they should work OK as long as your wiring is all on the same phase.  You’d want to limit the number of endpoints to keep the cost down.

spam….  tongue wink

Hahahaaaa!!!!!

Oh, and I just realized that I forgot to add Mudhoney to the Tech Nerd List too!!!!!  teacherboy

Mizu Kuma - 24 July 2013 01:58 PM

So, (This is probably right up DRC’s or TJ’s Nerd Vein)

Who uses/has used a Powerline Network Adapter setup?????

Can they be used in Australia?????

Are they any good for Home AV Linking?????

Or should I just get the drill out and use Ethernet to a Multi Outlet Modem?????

I wanna hook up TV/Receiver/ATV/HDD Recorder/Puter!!!!! (Plus maybe another TV)

Do they work well?????

What are the Negatives?????

Haha seeing as I’ve been called out I better unleash the inner nerd!

Yeah I’ve used similar devices in the past. They aren’t overly complicated devices they essentially convert your existing household power wiring into a network link between the two points preventing the need to run a ethernet cable between that link.

I will always prefer a nice cat6 gig link but they certainly do the job when rewiring is out of the question.

Where you’ve lost me though is all the talk of your AV setup. Can you explain to me a little more on what you are trying to achieve (Where are these devices located, do they require internet or just internal lan access). If each of these devices requires network access (via cable or wireless) you are going to need a switch/router somewhere in the mix.

Without knowing your exact situation typical usage would be something like any devices in a similar area can all be patched together (into a switch/AP) using ethernet cables/wireless but if you have a device that is in a completely different area not easily accessable without rewiring you would connect 1 end of the POE adaptor in this room to the device and the other POE adaptor nearby to your main distribution point (where the other devices cabling is) and then patch into that into the switch with ethernet which basically combines that area with the rest of the network.

Say if I wanna setup my second TV using the same Network, all I have to do is plug in another one of the little suckers to join it up yeah?????

Is that how it works?????

* Once I’ve hooked up my existing ADSL Modem to the Powerline, that is!!!!!

DRC is pretty spot on there. I’ve used them before as well and the signal is generally pretty average at best. If you have the option of running a Cat6 cable, I’d do it… even if it means drilling a hole in the wall and a ton of faffing around.

Mizu Kuma - 24 July 2013 02:15 PM

Say if I wanna setup my second TV using the same Network, all I have to do is plug in another one of the little suckers to join it up yeah?????

So is it a smart tv we are talking about here? what I need to know is what are you trying to send/receive to the TV? Are we talking a video signal (as in HDMI, Composite etc) or a data/network signal (as in transferring files/internet/streaming etc)?

Lets presume you mean the TV has an ethernet connection for internet/smart tv functions. If this TV can’t easily be linked to the modem/router/switch with an ethernet cable then yes this is where the adaptor could possibly be used. You would run a ethernet patch cable from the tv into the adaptor. Then another adaptor at the modem/router/switch end with a ethernet patch connecting those two. The end result being your TV having network access.

I’ve noticed you mentioned ATV I’ve got a feeling that is going to come into play in this discussion.

drc13 - 24 July 2013 02:17 PM

So is it a smart tv we are talking about here? what I need to know is what are you trying to send/receive to the TV? Are we talking a video signal or a data/network signal?

What I have/will have is -

Room 1 - Mac (Existing ADSL Wired Modem)
Room 2 - Smart TV, HDD Recorder WiFi Enabled + Network Capable, Apple TV, AV Receiver WiFi Enabled + Network Capable
Room 3 - Smart TV, Speakers that will run off second Zone on AV Receiver

TJswish - 24 July 2013 02:16 PM

DRC is pretty spot on there. I’ve used them before as well and the signal is generally pretty average at best. If you have the option of running a Cat6 cable, I’d do it… even if it means drilling a hole in the wall and a ton of faffing around.

Cool, cheers TJ!!!!!

I do have to do a bit of drilling anyways to run the speaker cables etc etc, so it may just be the best way to go!!!!!

Mizu Kuma - 24 July 2013 02:24 PM
drc13 - 24 July 2013 02:17 PM

So is it a smart tv we are talking about here? what I need to know is what are you trying to send/receive to the TV? Are we talking a video signal or a data/network signal?

What I have/will have is -

Room 1 - Mac (Existing ADSL Wired Modem)
Room 2 - Smart TV, HDD Recorder WiFi Enabled + Network Capable, Apple TV, AV Receiver WiFi Enabled + Network Capable
Room 3 - Smart TV, Speakers that will run off second Zone on AV Receiver

Nice it’s certainly doable! Just keep it simple. In an optimal setup every network capable device will be connected to a distribution point (a switch like device with multiple gig ports) with a shiny new cat6 cable connection.

If/when you don’t think it is possible to run a cable linking the rooms this is where one of the Ethernet over power (ignore all my POE stuff before it’s stuck in my mind from work today it’s actually the opposite acronym) adaptors will come into play. That’s all they do simply take the place of a link that would have been cat6.

Quick and dirty plan.

Modem/Router (with multiple gig port and wifi capability) in Room 2. Patch room 2 devices in directly. Connect Mac in room 1 via network cable/wifi to Room 2 if possible. Wire room 3 with audio cable from Room 2 (AV receiver zone2 outputs) and link tv to room 2 with cable/wifi if possible. Personally if you are wiring audio I’d run a couple of runs of ethernet at the same time. Pro Tip cat6 actually makes very nice speaker cable!

I’ve got to go finish off a job here then heading home but I can get back to you in more detail then.

I think it wasnt the best in my parents house cause they put in an extention. i.e. different copper lines.

So if your house was built like it currently is, it should work better than what we got…

Cheers mate!!!!! shaka

TJswish - 24 July 2013 02:55 PM

I think it wasnt the best in my parents house cause they put in an extention. i.e. different copper lines.

So if your house was built like it currently is, it should work better than what we got…

So ya sayin that the Powerline Option wasn’t a goer due to the Extension?????

Well the copper wiring in the house would have been 2 different types (50 year old and 15 year old), could have caused issues with the signal. I can’t say yours would be better but ours was pretty bad. :(

Ended up putting a cat5e cable through the roof and connecting via that (and then nobody uses it… teacherboy)

Our place is 22 Years Old, and still the same configuration as when we had it built!!!!!

No dramas with our power supply at all, so the Powerline Adapters should work okay?????

Is it best for me to run Cat6a Cables????? (That’s the best available at the mo yeah?????)