The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

weeeeeeeeeeee

Oh my god so excited!

There is so much snow!

I will take a photo in daylight but it is a full moon and a clear night and when I came around from smigs I had to stop the car and squeel like a 2yo the mountains are covered in snow. It was so pretty!

I tried to drive up to our building and got stopped by snow!

This is out of snowmaking areas!

errrm so jealous right about now.

So awesome! Hopefully it’s a good season then!

lanox - 24 May 2013 10:16 PM

errrm so jealous right about now.

THIS!!

hope your enjoying jt for me too!! Haha hopefully cya down there at some stage!!

Shibby! hope it sticks around/stays cold/new snowfalls happen orrrr its useless…

Well the snow has lasted a lot longer than any of the naysayers expected (spaz!!!!)

Snow guns are cranked!

Great to hear oz, looking forward to pics!!!

woah i might go up today now!!

deanobruce - 24 May 2013 10:49 PM

Shibby!

LOL  hahaha I haven’t heard this for ages. Some old friends from the snow used to say this. Haven’t heard it anywhere else before.

It has lasted about as good as I said it would (Ozgirl!!!). wink
I see lots of exposed rocks and grass patches on the cams and only any worth skiing on in snowmaking areas.

15th May
Nothing stays cold (enough) through May. It will only take a few sunny days to melt most of what has fallen at most resorts. Wich even then wont hydrate the ground enough.

Perisher on the other hand has the elevation to use the manmade and pile it up enough to keep a fair amount.
They will stock pile this all they can then the week prior to opening push it around with groomers.

June and the opening weekend is set for a reason. It’s from around this date that ground temps are low enough to freeze the top layer of dirt if we get the moisture then.

My way is observation not prediction so it’s not about guessing!

16th May
But little snow will hold until average temps drop and the base melts in. A good base needs to be packed down, usually by groomers, so it lasts all winter - it’s basically an ice sheet sitting on top of grass and shrubs. Rocks warm up in the sun and melt any snow near them.

It’s gone from this;

to

to this

Why do you think thredbo has lifted the angle of the cam?

And here is Perishers stock pile being built up for grooming.

weeeeee, useless without pics though oz!

I’m not going to count any chickens until opening day though. The way the weather currently is anything could happen.

Still glad I’ve got a Perisher rather than Thredbo pass at this early stage.

By god it pains me to say it….... BUT, spaz is right smile

drc13 - 25 May 2013 12:19 PM

weeeeee, useless without pics though oz!

I’m not going to count any chickens until opening day though. The way the weather currently is anything could happen.

Still glad I’ve got a Perisher rather than Thredbo pass at this early stage.

this

And the snow has lasted a lot longer at lower levels in man made sections then I would have ever expected at this time of year!

Perisher management hinted at an earlier opening!

Azz - 25 May 2013 07:18 PM

By god it pains me to say it….... BUT, spaz is right smile

It’s easy Azz (just drop the “sp” and you’ll find the pain is replaced with a feeling of self worth.) wink

I’m always right, I concede that it can be painful to admit at times. LOL
Oz wasn’t wrong, because she is so awesome and a legend skateboarder and all round epic chick.

So who has the option to go down this weekend if they open early?

Ozgirls photo. shaka