The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Triple Js Hottest 100 countdown from the last 2 decades…. 

AshStix - 18 May 2013 04:36 PM

The Vines - yes I was obsessed in an unhealthy way… I used to lie on the floor of my bedroom, burn incense and vibe out to “Mary Jane”... and the other tracks on “HIghly Evolved”.

I have a funny story about that. I was at cronulla Point once after a surf and bumped into a guy I knew from growing up back in Canberra, but had not seen for 5, 6 or 7 years (he actually used to go to my Church youth Group that I Went to when I was a Little tacker and we were pretty good friends). I asked him what he was up to these Days and he said he was a musician. I asked him what sort of Music and he said it was rock and he played in a band called The Vines…I laughed and Went ‘but there already is a famous band called the vines’ and he goes ‘yeah, that is the band I’m in’. hahahahahaha whoops! I was so embarrassed but he was really cool about it. I Went home and checked their myspace page and of course there he was in all their pics! Nice dude, though!

sorry for all the random capital letters, this Swedish computer keeps auto-correcting to capital letters on weird things for some reason!

AshStix - 18 May 2013 04:36 PM

The bands that had a major influence on me in my teen years were:
Muse -
Radiohead -
SIlverchair
Powderfinger
Foo Fighters

Ahh yes good choices the ones above got a fair bit if play from me as well.

Muse - Probably my overall favourite band. Have seen them in concert numerous times but hate to say I’m nearly at the stage of implementing the 3 strikes and you’re out rule. The last 2 albums have been woeful.

Radiohead - I’m hot and cold with radiohead, OK Computer is probably my all time favourite album but some of there other stuff I can’t stand. I definitely don’t fit into the cult like following they have but OC blows me away every time.

SIlverchair - Ahh frogstomp and neon ballroom the soundtrack to my youth.

Powderfinger - Amazing aussie band, preferred their earlier moody stuff but very consistent.

Foo Fighters - Can get a bit pop-rock for me sometimes but have great amazing songs in their catalogue and was pleasantly surprised when I saw them in concert many years ago.

On the topic of the countdown. I have to admit I very very rarely listen to music these days I’m more of a podcast/audiobook guy. But I happened to get in my car Friday after work and stumbled across them playing the final 8 songs in the 1998 countdown. I was loving powderfinger, jebediah, regurgitator, korn (I loled at this I haven’t listened to them since I was a teen but remembered every word) then the final 4 songs went to shit :(

Cords that is an hilarious story!!

Koper - 09 May 2013 09:05 AM

So many songs, I’ve been thinking about my list for days. Anyone voted yet?

I finally got around to casting my votes!!!

1 Smashing Pumpkins - Bullet with butterfly wings
2 Silverchair - The greatest view
3 Beastie Boys - Interglatic
4 Red Hot Chili - Aeroplane
5 Chemical Bros - Star Guitar
6 QOTSA - No one knows
7 Cog - Bird of feather
8 Jeff Buckley - Last Goodbye
9 Groove Aramada - Super Stylin
10 Powderfinger - Sunsets
11 Parkway drive - Sleepwalker
12 NOFX - Franco un-american
13 Hilltop Hoods - The hard road
14 Foo Fighters - The Pretender
15 Grinspoon - Rock show
16 City and Colour - Fragile Bird offshore shores
17 Body Jar - Not the same
18 Naked and Famous - Young Blood
19Spiderbait - Buy me a pony
20 Flume - Holdin On

Alot of 90’s stuff there as its the ear that influenced me most!!

nice list mate!

K2_TeacherBoy - 22 May 2013 04:08 PM

nice list mate!

She’s winner winner chicken dinner!! Haha!

Least i think so! wink

surferguy56 - 22 May 2013 04:01 PM
Koper - 09 May 2013 09:05 AM

So many songs, I’ve been thinking about my list for days. Anyone voted yet?

I finally got around to casting my votes!!!

Hah congrats on getting around to it.

I found a few of your choices interesting. Especially the Powderfinger, Silverchair and Foo Fighters all great bands but I thought they were some of the weaker songs in their back catalogue.

Everyones tastes are different though!

Hah congrats on getting around to it.

I found a few of your choices interesting. Especially the Powderfinger, Silverchair and Foo Fighters all great bands but I thought they were some of the weaker songs in their back catalogue.

Everyones tastes are different though!

Yeah i decided to steer away from the norm and big hits and branch out but still keeping the same influential bands with their smaller yet just as big tracks… If that makes any sense?? Haha!    confused

Its been a pretty great hottest 100 so far this long weekend!!

So great tracks and some questionable tracks have been put in…

What songs did you vote for make the cut??? I had about 6 songs that made the cut!!

maybeeeeeey your gunna be the one that saves me!!!!!

Not bad, some shockers still managed to sneak in. Glad the thrift shop slip up was just triple J trolling us. Bit surprised fake plastic trees didn’t get a run.

Quite a few of my picks made it so can’t complain too much:

Oasis: Wonderwall
Jeff Buckley: Last Goodbye
The Verve: Bitter Sweet Symphony
Foo Fighters: Everlong
Powderfinger: These Days
Radiohead: Paranoid Android
blink-182: Dammit
The Smashing Pumpkins: 1979
Placebo: Every You Every Me
Jebediah: Harpoon

Good hustle DRC!

I like your style.. I think i went out of the mainstream spotlight with my picks, i had the bands just not the tracks.

AND GOD DAM OASIS!!!! Not happy they got number 1!!!

surferguy56 - 09 June 2013 06:03 PM

My Number 1 Pick!!!  cheese

DylanV - 09 June 2013 06:09 PM

The nation couldn’t of picked a worse faaarkking song!!!!

surferguy56 - 09 June 2013 06:25 PM
DylanV - 09 June 2013 06:09 PM

The nation couldn’t of picked a worse faaarkking song!!!!

thrift shop… your move