The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Board help for the big guy!

HI all

I am after a new board.
I bought a secondhand k2 Darkstar 168 off a friend after his seasons in japan on it. Its pretty stiff and dinged up and was looking for a new board of my own.

I am 6ft 2”, 110kgs, size 12 boots

Looking for something with a little more flex and smaller to use in the park (prefer hitting the park and anything to pop off compared to speed and carving) How small a board can I go with my weight?? The 168 is great but feels slightly too big and bulky.

I’ve only boarded the past 2 seasons (all at Perisher), about 20/30 days riding all up so I would say I’m beginner - intermediate. I have starting hitting jumps and rails and looking to improve.
I got the freedom pass for Perisher this season so will be doing all my riding there!
Hopefully a trip to NZ and/or Japan in the future!

Any help would be awesome!

Hey mate, welcome to BOARDWORLD

Before we can give any suggestions on boards have you put any thought into what profile/brands you are keen on?
Otherwise there is endless sugestions. To help narrow down, are you after a camber, rocker or hybrid profile?

Brands doesn’t phase me at all, as long as they are quality product.
Profile-wise, probably leaning towards rocker

Stamford your exactly the same height, weight and boot size as me.  I’m currently riding a 157 Lib Tech T Rice with no dramas.  I also have a 159 Skate Banana.  I would not be wanting to ride a 168 mate, that’s huge.  Look for soemthing a bit softer, preferably with rocker to really help your riding as well as a waist width of 254 or above depending on if your boots have shrinkage tech or not.

NBG - 09 May 2013 03:34 PM

Stamford your exactly the same height, weight and boot size as me.  I’m currently riding a 157 Lib Tech T Rice with no dramas.  I also have a 159 Skate Banana.  I would not be wanting to ride a 168 mate, that’s huge.  Look for soemthing a bit softer, preferably with rocker to really help your riding as well as a waist width of 254 or above depending on if your boots have shrinkage tech or not.

Thanks mate!

168? they make boards that big?

Haha

deanobruce - 10 May 2013 10:51 AM

168? they make boards that big?

Haha

haha shit sorry its a 163!

Any brands to avoid or anything else I should know. Looking at buying new bindings too

SK, are you interested in full rocker, hybrids, or both?

Please read this thread and let me know what you’re mostly interested in: https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/4119/

It really comes down to what you hope to get out of the board. Do you want something super loose and playful? Or maybe something more versatile to ride all over the mountain and the park? My personal recommendation would be to look at the hybrids. The hybrids give you benefits of both rocker and camber, providing a versatile ride in nearly all conditions.

The two common hybrid types are rocker/camber/rocker like YES’s CamRock profile, and camber/rocker/camber like Burton’s Flying V or Lib Tech’s C2 profile. There are many options out there and the best first step is deciding which camber profile meets your wants and needs.

Stick to mainstream brands mate.  I like Lib Tech and DC for boards however lots of people here rate YES, I don’t think they have much in their line guys our size but then neither does DC really.  Other brands to consider would be Ride, Burton, K2, Rome, Gnu, another brand guys on here like seems to be Arbor.

THe Lib and Gnu boards are made by the same company Mervin and incorporate additional edge grip system called magnetraction, other companies have their own versions of this as well.  Essentially it is a subtle serration of the edge to allow it to cut into and grip hard pack more effectively. 

I find this becomes particularly effective when applied to full rocker boards.  If you’re going to go a full rocker I would I look for rockered boards with some grip tech incorporated into them.  I think all Lib and GNU boards have this now regardless of rocker/camber profile.

YES call their grip tech “ultimate traction”

Burton call theirs “frostbite”

Rides is “Cleave Edges”

On hybrid boards the addition of grip tech is not as much of a need.

rider26 - 10 May 2013 11:11 AM

SK, are you interested in full rocker, hybrids, or both?

Please read this thread and let me know what you’re mostly interested in: https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/4119/

It really comes down to what you hope to get out of the board. Do you want something super loose and playful? Or maybe something more versatile to ride all over the mountain and the park? My personal recommendation would be to look at the hybrids. The hybrids give you benefits of both rocker and camber, providing a versatile ride in nearly all conditions.

The two common hybrid types are rocker/camber/rocker like YES’s CamRock profile, and camber/rocker/camber like Burton’s Flying V or Lib Tech’s C2 profile. There are many options out there and the best first step is deciding which camber profile meets your wants and needs.

Thanks mate. As I mentioned before I was leaning towards a rocker profile but after reading your advice and rereading the different profiles a hybrid is probably better for what I need.

Thanks heaps for the help

No worries mate. Any indication of which hybrid type sounded more appealing to you? Once we know what we are lokoing for, it will be easier to start narrowing down your choices.

rider26 - 10 May 2013 12:08 PM

No worries mate. Any indication of which hybrid type sounded more appealing to you? Once we know what we are lokoing for, it will be easier to start narrowing down your choices.

hmm not sure but I’m leaning towards the Type A (camber/rocker/camber)

I checked out the Burton Flying V 158w - looks pretty sweet.

Would I be best buying online cheap? I noticed some only deliver to USA - my sister lives in US and I can get her it delivered to her and sent to me.

Otherwise am I best heading to a shop in Cooma/Jindy early season and trying some out?

The Custom Flying V is a great all-round board. Handles everything from park to mountain to pow. One board that truly does it all. Highly recommended.

I know the prices are often cheaper in the USA but it will void your warranty in Australia. And you are correct, no Burton dealers in the USA will ship to Australia. This is Burton policy to protect our industry. Let me know what you want exactly and I will try get you the best price possible.

I would also highly recommend Burton Cartel (EST or regular) bindings to go with your board; super comfy, great performance and excellent value. Can’t go wrong. If you think you might want to use the bindings with a non-Burton board down the track, go for the regular Cartels (Re:flex).

StamfordKid - 10 May 2013 01:13 PM

. . . I’m leaning towards the Type A (rocker/camber)

I checked out the Burton Flying V 158w - looks pretty sweet.

Good choice.

Technically, Burton’s Flying V boards are actually a combination of ‘Type A’ and ‘Type B’, incorporated into a rocker profile. Overall, the boards are rockered - and follow a rocker/camber/v-rocker/camber/rocker profile. That, in my opinion makes them a far better choice than camber/rocker/camber boards, which don’t make sense to me at all.

rider26 - 10 May 2013 05:44 PM

Let me know what you want exactly and I will try get you the best price possible.

Ok so how much would I be looking at for a Burton Flying V (I noticed there is a Custom and a Process? Difference??)
Not too worried about colour or design really either..
Size wise I’m still not sure, would a 158 be too small? Maybe 160.
Also noticed the Custom comes in 160W am I better off with a wide board (size 12 Burton Rampant boots)

And also Burton Cartel Regulars in large

Looks like I’m gonna be a Burton whore haha

Thanks