The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Snowboards & roof racks

Hey guys/girls,

What setup do you use for roof racks and snowboards.

Just tie the board bags straight to the rails, use the snowboard carrier clamps or do you have one of the pods.

Not sure which way I am leaning, obvious tying them straight to the racks is the cheapest option but I’m concerned about security when you have to leave your car ie suttons forest Maccas on the drive down or around Jindy to or from the slopes.

Thanks in advance.

I’ve tied my bag directly to the roof racks and also used the pod.

When I’ve tied my board bag on I use my snowboard lock. I thread the cable through all the zips so i can’t be opened.

The pods are easy to use and provide a space for other items.

The pods are just a little bit out of my price range unfortunately.

Only ever used the rack clamp thingys, but thats rarely. usually put them in the tray or back seat.

Clamps worked good, just need to pull the bindings off 2 boards (if you carry 4)

deanobruce - 08 May 2013 07:58 PM

Only ever used the rack clamp thingys, but thats rarely. usually put them in the tray or back seat.

Clamps worked good, just need to pull the bindings off 2 boards (if you carry 4)

I’m leaning towards the clamps. How did it go wind resistance wise?

I have used clamps

But usually stuff em inside the car, cause it’s rarely that full.

I have never noticed anything different when i had gear on the roof.

Have you tried ebay or gumtree for a second hand pod?

never noticed it..well apart from when i got excited overtaking and got up around 170-180km/hr you could feel a slight vibration.

Oz, just need to find one that’s compatible with my car/rails

Deano, that’s good to hear, except this year I’ll be behaving due to my limited points haha

Northern Lights - 09 May 2013 08:42 AM

Oz, just need to find one that’s compatible with my car/rails

Thats a given!

Was just pointing out other sources!

My BIL got one from ebay.

I drive a Mitsubishi asx, very limited options according to roof rack city.

But you can get the details from their website and they check sites for that exact model?

I went to check for you but need more details than “asx”

That’s the model but roof rack city don’t list it on their page. I’m going to have to give them a call.

I tie my boardbag down onto my roof racks directly with cam straps. You can get some cam straps that have a key lock on them. Doesnt help if someone has a knife to cut the strap though.
I find board racks good in someways and annoying in others. Yep, you dont have to worry about wet boards in the car and its neat. But I like my bag on top so I can keep all my boarding gear out of the car (smelly boots and clothes and anything wet. On way to the snow boardbag has been pretty much 10% waterproof when driving through rain.
Also if you have bags on the roof. You can tie more stuff down onto of them or stack bags. With a snowboard clamp rack you are restricted to the one use.

A pod is a great ( but also more expensive) way to get everything out of the car and more secure.

You can also just strap your boards straight down onto the roof racks. maybe even have a bike lock on them to the rack as a deterent

Northern Lights - 08 May 2013 08:22 PM
deanobruce - 08 May 2013 07:58 PM

I’m leaning towards the clamps. How did it go wind resistance wise?

haha, this reminds me of a drama I had with clamps. Borrowed a friends pair for hotham one time. While car was parked and we were at the pub, somebody tried to steal the boards.
Obviously while attached to the car the couldnt unclamp the boards, so the tried to disassemble the whole system from the roofrack. Must have only got a bit done before bailing on the idea.
Was driving home and kept hearing banging on the roof, but just assumed it was the boards tails flapping eacher (we had 4 boards base to base). Eventually when some car of youngens kept pulling up next to me and not overtaking I looked across to wave abuse at them for being lil shits but saw they were pointing at my roof.
Pulled over and turns out the front clamp had totally disconnected from the rack because the thiefs had twisted some of the attatchments. So the boards were flapping in the air held only by the back clamp and the tails were smashing into the roof of my poor car. Still have dints to this day long face  rage  teacherboy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1H1ysuXyRc

^ I have these (Thule Xtender 739)

got sick of loosing a seat and boot space with 4+ boards in the car.. All up (racks, the xtenders, and matching lock sets (they come with locks) and free installation) it was just under $700

and I can fit 4 boards (base to base) all with bindings on no troubles.. And for those vertically challenged like me, they are awesome as they slide out off the car..(I can’t reach the middle of my roof with out a step when cleaning the car.. And I only have a Mazda 3.. LOL)

and there is still room on the other side for Mr.h0zs board bag, with 3 boards (one with bindings) to be tied next to it.. ( we use one of our snowboard locks to lock it to the roof (and through the zippers)

If your in Sydney I got mine from here..

http://roofrackworld.rtrk.com.au/?scid=50608&kw=982884:159004&pub_cr_id=19317922854

(not too sure if this link works, if not click Thule products on the left, then on the main page (to the right) click products for my car.. (I checked and they have the asx))

(pick a bar.. Then look at the snow accessories from the site,)

(I have the same ones as option 2 (wing bar - they recommended this for my car as the wing bar had been know to make a whistle at high speeds on mazdas )

I rocked up one Friday about 12… They helped me pick.. I paid, and had lunch in the cafe down stairs.. And hour later they were installed and I was shown how to use them.. And they had put all the same locks on the racks and the board carrier.. So I only need one set.. I recommend these guys to any one that asks me about the racks..