The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Buying my first board!

So, today I went into looking for my first snowboard! Came down to boards I really liked:

2012 Burton Blender 145

And

2012 Burton Feelgood Flying V

Are these boards ideal for a beginner/intermediate and for a season in Perisher? And would it be good for Canada afterwards? I’m kinda leaning towards the Blender board. Coz I want a board that’s small and easy to turn.

The Blender is a great first board. It’s really fun to ride and easy to progress on. I bought this board for both my sister and fiancĂ© and they both love it. The full rocker profile means it’s going to float really well in that Canadian pow as well. Overall, I think it would be a really nice first board. smile

Hell yeah Tam - go the Blender!

Cheers guys! :D
Now to just save up the funds!

Hey Tam, there’s benefits to being a Boardworld member. One pretty awesome benefit is scoring special deals on selected gear. It just so happens that STM in Bondi has a 2013 Burton Blender V-Rocker 145, and I’m pretty sure a special deal could be arranged if you were keen:

http://stmonline.com.au/Burton-Blender-VRocker-145cm-2013

If so, let us know.

I’m keeeen! How about a board+bindings deal/package thing?

Buying your first board is a magic thing. Hope you love it Tam.

I’m not gunna comment on this one because I don’t know anything about those boards, but burton is always a safe choice as long as it’s not their entry level gear.

As we tell everyone who asks for advice here, just make sure your the board is the right width to match your boots and you are within the weight class for that board. If you are over it you could snap it, if you are under it you will find it very hard to ride. A good shop assistant can help you with this, just make sure you ask all the questions.

Happy Hunting!  shaka

citylightsTAM - 08 May 2013 10:27 PM

I’m keeeen! How about a board+bindings deal/package thing?

Sure Tam, take a look here:

http://stmonline.com.au/Womens-Board-Bindings

Keep in mind that as the board has Burton’s ‘Channel’ binding mount system, EST bindings are recommended - however you’re by no means limited to them, because there are adaptors available. I have a few boards with Burton’s channel, and don’t use EST bindings on any of them.

Hey Tam,

Please feel free to email me with what you’re looking for exactly, and I will see what sort of discount they can offer you. Most stores have been more than happy to offer discounts to Boardworld members.

My recommendation would be Burton Lexa EST (or regular with Re:flex) bindings. They are super confortable, offer great performance, and at a good price. Also, they will go well with the Blender (board with the Channel, bindings with EST or Re:flex).

Where are you based at the moment?

My email is: jeremy(at)boardworld.com.au

By the way, I already own snowboard boots. They’re a size 7 and Vans. does that make a difference?

Brand doesn’t really matter but it’s good to know your boot size.

How tall are you and how much do you weigh?

Do you like the Burton Lexas I suggested?

I’m 5 ft 7 and weigh around 65kg.

I would recommend a bigger size than the 145, especially if you want to take it to Canada. The very smallest I would suggest would be the the 148 but I think you should step up to the 151.

Anything smaller than 151 will struggle on powder days and also lack stability riding the mountain in general. I think the 151 is a good balance between having a fun and easy to ride size for Australia, while still being versatile enough to ride the mountain and handle powder days.

Cool, so are there any deals out there? wink

Jez is the man when it comes to sorting out BW members with killer deals, Tam - but first you need to decide on just the right board.

I’m going to throw the Burton Feather into the mix as a less expensive option to the Blender - in a 149. It’s also a V-Rocker board. Yeah, it’s a tad shorter than the 151 Jez suggested - but that’s cool, because it’s mildly tapered. The bonus here is that you get a slightly shorter board that’s easier to learn on, without sacrificing float in pow. It’s got a softer flex and more forgiving edge bevel, so it’ll be easier to learn on as well.

citylightsTAM - 09 May 2013 11:14 PM

Cool, so are there any deals out there? wink

Replied to your email with pricing. smile