The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Signal Flat Park Snowboard

After seeing that a few members here talk about Signal boards, I have looked more into them and it looks like a great company who make quality hand made boards.

Anyone out there ridden the Flat Park board?  I was after a board that is easy to butter, but can still handle cruising the runs.  I thought this might be good, but anyone tested it out?

If you want a board that’s easy to butter, check out the Signal Rocker series instead - they’re like training wheels for buttering! They’re a flat/rocker/flat/rocker/flat profile, and the flat at the tip and tail (just a little) really aids buttering. Such a fun board to ride!

shredthegnar - 30 April 2013 02:57 PM

I was after a board that is easy to butter, but can still handle cruising the runs.  I thought this might be good, but anyone tested it out?

A wise choice then. I haven’t ridden this particular board but in general I dig flat boards. They are probably the best compromise between Rockers and Cambers. Most Hybrids just make things worse with not much gain. Except maybe the CamRock, but that won’t help you butter much.

Flat boards still carve quite well and butter easily. The sacrifice you are making is pop. Zero camber means zero pop bonus.
It still pops off kickers because they are curved so it creates a bend in the board. But not as much pop as camber.
Pop (or “snap”) can however be achieved in similar amounts in the nose and tail by ollie-ing/nollie-ing.

Andy Aitken - 01 May 2013 01:39 AM

Most Hybrids just make things worse with not much gain. Except maybe the CamRock, but that won’t help you butter much.

I agree that with the exception of “Camrock” (YES’ rocker/camber/rocker) and its variations like Capita’s “Flatkick” (rocker/flat/rocker), Signal’s “Wavelength” (rocker/camber/rocker) and other rocker/camber/rocker and rocker/flat/rocker boards, many hybrids do seem a bit gimmicky. The rocker/camber/rocker/camber/rocker boards, and especially all camber/rocker/camber/rocker/camber just seem silly to me - and appear to focus more on brand/product differentiation than improvements in performance.

I disagree when it comes to rockered tips/tails not aiding in buttering. By the very nature of their design, you’re already halfway there when it comes to buttering - as the natural contour of the board shape follows that of a board when buttered.

Thanks for the info guys, the flat base sounds like a winner, I am not that into pop as i like to just cruise around and do flat tricks and the odd small kicker, so I might give the Signal Flat Park a shot!

I haven’t ridden that particular board. I’ve only tested one Signal board (Omni Wavelength) and I was very impressed.

I have ridden that board, i will post some pics then.

and a review??