The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Can anyone make a simple way for me to do this calculation?

have you ever turned your iphone calculator sideways (assuming you have one / android is the same)

It becomes a scientific calculator.. With the use of the sqr rt function and some brackets, you’ll have your answer immediately!

You could write a pretty simple script or spreadsheet in excel with the inputs in a highlighted box and the answer in another in about 5 minutes. I can make one for you if you like?

Are you concreting things?

fmf - 15 April 2013 12:23 PM

You could write a pretty simple script or spreadsheet in excel with the inputs in a highlighted box and the answer in another in about 5 minutes. I can make one for you if you like?

This is what i suggested. But need him to write out the equation for me. My head hurt looking at what he sent me.

OK, let me explain a little further, its more complicated than a triangle.

I make boat canopies, so when bending up a frame for a Bimini say, that looks like this;

So the first thing I need to do is bend the two corners on either side. (that bit is easy)
Then I run the bow through a crown arc roller, this puts a nice slow curve across the top of the cover to help it shed water and look pretty.
When the crown is put into the bow it does to things,
1. brings the legs in and the bottom
2. raises the legs up, makes them shorter

If you have a look at http://www.kingrichardco.com/FrameBenders/BendArc Assembly Instructions (2).pdf

The instructions to do this are there. There is a program / app to do this as well, but its stupid expensive and only works on PC, which I don’t have and I don’t want a computer in my workshop.

Program linky http://www.kingrichardco.com/FrameBenders/EZFrame.htm

So, to work out how far in the legs will come in and shorten when the crown is rolled in is the tricky part smile

So far I have outsourced any stainless steel frames needed to Stainless Steel Fabricators and have only dealt with Aluminium, which is forgiving and easy to manipulate. I have just purchased (at great expense to the management) a bender and roller that will handle stainless steel.

When I ask my SS fabricator how he works it out, he uses a hell of a lot of guess work and wastes a reasonable amount of material as well.

Did ya send a PM to Cupid Stunt?????

Not yet downer

trying to get something that makes me $$$ done smile

Azz - 15 April 2013 02:02 PM

Not yet downer

trying to get something that makes me $$$ done smile

Fillin out a Lotto Card?????

Is that .PDF a purchased manual? I couldn’t see where to read it.

How accurate is your bending machine?

With the arc radius value’s known it should be easy to draw a spreadsheet up similar to the EZ frame to give the desired output.

I don’t know how to code apps, but excel is simple and powerful enough (if you can access it in shop, maybe using google docs or an app that can modify excel docs). You could even make a graphic interface with buttons etc within excel using macros if you wanted to go one step further.

Good idea FMF

Upload to google docs and he should be able to access on his phone in the workshop!

pretty sure google docs does not support macros

Shouldn’t need marco.

A simple enter number in this box

Formula with answer - here

yeah exactly… its just geometry plugins,

post the schematics and arc details or pm me and I will have a play

OK, I will PM a few of you smile