The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Banned Words!

I thought this would be entertaining enough to start a new thread on the topic!

Taken from Best thing on the internet thread.

NBG - 24 March 2013 09:37 PM

Sorry Spaz, it looks like Deano is keen to join you in the ranks of those BW members who choose to inhabit the brains and resultant vocabulary of prepubescent schoolgirls from time to time.

Jelly is a noun, already taken and therefore the idiotic shortening of the word jealous to “jelly” rather than being a more efficient way of getting a point across actually confuses the listener/reader as to the actual point of what the speaker/typer is trying to convey.  That and I can only picture it coming out of the mouths of some prepubescent “Clueless” type schoolgirl really makes it unfit for use by grown men trying vainly to remain relevant and attractive to younger women.  In reality said schoolgirls would probably find the use of their vernacular by a grown man quite creepy.  Leave it to the tweenies people.

I just say we be done with it and just add “jelly” to the swear filter!

But if we were to take a vote I would also like to add “Frothing” but I think i will be in the minority on that one!

Whats wrong with frothing?  It’s a legitimate word as far as I’m concerned.

Totes, jelly, cray etc are not acceptable and here is why, they are all existing words that already have other uses.

Tote: to carry, totes=is carrying.  Tote bag is another usage.  Tote is also used as an abbreviation for the Totalisator board, bookmaking etc.
Jelly:  Aeroplane jelly or otherwise home brand jelly. 
Cray: a supercomputer or an abbrevation for crayfish.

Feel free to post up some more annoying tweenisms and I’ll end them for you so you can feel happy in the fact you’re vocab will no longer resemble that of Carly Rae Jeppsens and I might actually call you maybe as I’ll be comfortable in the knowledge that I will be speaking with an intelligible adult rather than a moron with a kindergarten reading level.

I will trawl BW looking for tweenieisms and prosecute the offenders to the full extent of BW law, that is to say in much the same way that Hans Blix prosecutes Kim Jong Ill in Team America.

This thread is gay.

I think “gay” should be added to the swear filter..

Why?

antisense - 25 March 2013 12:45 AM

I think “gay” should be added to the swear filter..

Good call!!

Which meaning below best describes the way in which you would like BW members to view your comment on this thread Chucky?

Gay is a term that primarily refers to a homosexual person or the trait of being homosexual.
The term was originally used to refer to feelings of being “carefree”, “happy”, or “bright and showy”. The term’s use as a reference to homosexuality may date as early as the late 19th century, but its use gradually increased in the 20th century.[1] In modern English, “gay” has come to be used as an adjective, and as a noun, referring to the people, especially to males, and the practices and cultures associated with homosexuality.

My comment was a joke, in reference to this comment:

NBG - 24 March 2013 11:31 PM

. . . they are all existing words that already have other uses.

. . . because the word “gay” is also on the list of “existing words that already have other uses”. Currently, more than two “other uses”.

This shit is totes supercomputer!!!!!

I’m gonna go any froth over that jelly i’m makin!!!!!

Peace out my carefree ones!!!!!  shaka

NBG - 25 March 2013 12:57 AM

Gay is a term that primarily refers to a homosexual person or the trait of being homosexual. The term was originally used to refer to feelings of being “carefree”, “happy”, or “bright and showy”. The term’s use as a reference to homosexuality may date as early as the late 19th century, but its use gradually increased in the 20th century.[1] In modern English, “gay” has come to be used as an adjective, and as a noun, referring to the people, especially to males, and the practices and cultures associated with homosexuality.

The reality is that the homosexual community do NOT have sole rights to the word “gay”. If one group has the right to use the word contrary to its original meaning, so does everybody else.

The word “gay” is now also used to mean something akin to “pathetic”, “piteous” and the like - and it’s grossly hypocritical to object to its usage as such, while still insisting on another’s right to use the word contrary to its original meaning.

Ohhh, and what should be banned is pics of DRC in his Dick Pokers!!!!!

Shit dude!!!!! I was eatin my lunch when I clicked on that thread!!!!!  sick

I’m curious, should we also ban words like “sick”, “wicked” and “lame”?

How about “kicker”, “roller”, “jib” and “slash”?

antisense - 25 March 2013 12:45 AM

I think “gay” should be added to the swear filter.

Because it’s popular to succumb to petty political correctness?

Mizu Kuma - 25 March 2013 02:01 AM

Hahaha ok fine! red face

Feel free to auto filter my posts. I just figure bw has flux/yes/dc/Burton fanbois someone needs to rep speedos! 99% of the time I’m in boardies would you like some of them mate?

drc13 - 25 March 2013 02:28 AM
Mizu Kuma - 25 March 2013 02:01 AM

Hahaha ok fine! red face

Feel free to auto filter my posts. I just figure bw has flux/yes/dc/Burton famous someone needs to rep speedos! 99% of the time I’m in boardies would you like some of those mate?

YES!!!!! (And I’m not talkin about CamRock here)