The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Fastest you’ve been on a snowboard?

The Banked Slalom at Hotham each year is epic fun.

Would be awesome if we could have a BW banked slalom at the shred shaka

I would throw down coin to play that game.

Thredders used to have a mini one through Merrits, and a bigger one down near Sundowner too!!!!!

hell Fun!!!!! Dunno why they don’t get the Merrits one in?????

The year they had features all lined along it, in between the berms was epic fun!!!!!

chucky - 23 March 2013 06:35 AM
CRACKERS - 23 March 2013 05:20 AM

A long steep run with some turns would show the real speedsters I reckon or maybe a slalom or banked slalom!

True. Boardercross as well.

CRACKERS - 23 March 2013 05:20 AM

A shred banked slalom would be so fun even if I did come last.

I mentioned the idea to Jez midway through last year, in the lead up to the Shred. It turned out it was futile to approach planning anything like that with Perisher - but now that Thredbo have come good, there’s always hope.

That would be so much fun. I’d talked about just having a straight slalom run where you could be timed, at the pirate day and let people do it as many times as they felt like, bit hard at Selwyn to do much more than stick some poles in the ground though. Some sort of boardercross or banked slalom would be so so so fun. If Thredbo got the snow and had the minimals it would be fun.

They had three at perisher this year, a full on one off the back of Bluecow leading back down to one of the pleasant, happy or whatever valleys, another off to the right of Goats gully that was resonably quick and then a pretty boring one just under the mid station of the quad when it wasn’t being a “park”.

There will be a semi serious SBX track at Blue Cow on Amaroo this year. Same location as last year, track should be better.

Turning loses speed (99% of the time).

You need to be strong to turn at +80kmh or to absorb a bump and not get kicked. You need to be fit, very strong and have fast reaction speed to go 100kph.
At triple figures your body burns huge amounts of oxygen, with every muscle in your body constantly clenched it’s becomes hard to breath - oxygen is not fed to your brain and it’s easy to lose the ability to think or you even begin to black out. Try doing squats while holding your breath and see how many you can do.

Pointing straight down a hill may not take much skill, but dealing with big G forces does!

Who here has done the Top2Bottom race at Thredbo? It’s GS and you get above 80kph in sections while negotiating gates?
Or who has attempted a proper gated race course and been able to hold a race line for 30s?

Not -easy to get through- GS style gates that have giant margins of error.
A real race turn is done on a reverse banked course. Any real turn on edge is done without + banking.