The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

JAPAN 2012 / 2013

Quick question, How does everyone interpret this from Air China’s website regarding oversized baggage. For them to list items it would imply that they will count it as normal baggage even though it is over the 158cm mark but the “Not” thrown in the middle of the sentence has me second guessing it. Is it simply a case of a chinglish translation? I would contact them directly but can’t seem to locate any contact details.

Items deemed as baggage with total linear dimensions not exceeding 158 cm (62in.)

snowboard or ski devices: a ski bag containing a pair of skis/ a snowboard and ski poles, a shoe bag containing a pair of ski boots.

P.S 61cm fell in Myoko yesterday dance

Hmmm the not isn’t out of context IMO

But it is saying that these things listed below (ie snopwboard in a bag) is considered baggage in the scheme of things. So yes should NOT exceed 158cm

But can you share the link?

Yeah that’s how I read it the “not” implies it shouldn’t be over 158cm. But if that’s the case why bother listing a bunch of sporting items? The general airline rules is items over 158cm are considering oversized. However most airlines then have a list of items which are exempt from this despite being over 158cm.

Here’s the Air China link
http://www.airchina.com.au/en/managemytrip/baggageinformation/generalrules.html#6

This is where it get’s even more interesting. On Cathay Pacifics site they have a very similar list of sporting items but when I read their sentence I interpret as allowing the large items despite the size.

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_AU/helpingyoutravel/checkedbaggage#A (under free baggage)

The following articles, irrespective of their actual dimensions, may be considered as a bag of 158cm (62in) in size:

One pair of snow skis with one pair of ski poles and one pair of ski boots, or one snow board and boots

drc who u flying with.

i rode in knee deep yesterday

lanox - 03 December 2012 04:24 AM

drc who u flying with.

Nobody yet! starting to lose hope in any discount flights (my peak dates suck) so just trying to do my research on the other airlines now as I’ll have to book something soonish even if it means paying a fair bit more.

Gamblor - 03 December 2012 04:27 AM

drool

i really dont like you coz of that lol ...
footage would be good raspberry

I hope ya talkin about snow?????

Maybe he was repairing the plumbing in the toilet?

DRC

It is very confusing. But I think it goes in your favour.

Maybe get a travel agent to look into it for you (rather than booking with an airline direct).

There is a TA across the road from my work who booked my Japan trip and it cost me $40 above would I could have gotten going direct with Qantas - but I saved on the internal flight that were linked to my Intl ticket.

They can do the back and forth for you (like it sounds like they did for Mizu) and get the baggage approved, if they do then book with them.

Cause now I see it in context with the rest of the site it may mean - these are things we recongise as being baggage that is bigger than our previously afore mentioned measurements so therefore we will allow!

Its bloody confusing but may be the loop hole Mizu was able to get around!

Yeah, that’s the sole reason why I use an agent!!!!!

they can also be helpful when wanting to book other things during ya stay as well!!!!!

For the extra difference that you may pay thru an agent, the extra benefits far outweigh it I reckon!!!!!

Thanks for taking the time to look at it Oz glad I wasn’t the only one left scratching my head.

I’ll take both your and Mizus recommendations of checking with an agent if I decide to go with Air China. The problem at this stage is the prices are changing pretty much every day for my travel period so I’ll need to time it well.

The other option that’s floating around in my head is paying a little bit extra again and going with Cathay Pacific but adding a stopover for a few nights in Hong Kong so I can check out places like Macau on the way there. In the end that would cost me more (more expensive flight plus a few more nights of accommodation) but it means I’ve visited another new city.

Definitely got my mind ticking though.

lanox - 03 December 2012 04:34 AM

i really dont like you coz of that lol ...
footage would be good raspberry

won’t footage make you not like me even more? confused
there was gopro footage taken by my touring partner. it shouldn’t be anything amazing. after lapping the resort pow we skinned 2 hours up the mountain

What are your dates DRC?