The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

JAPAN 2012 / 2013

Happo One ticket prices have been released for those going to Hakuba. Probably old news though.

Do ya know if they’re any dearer than last season, Teggeh?????

Mizu Kuma - 12 October 2012 11:39 PM

Do ya know if they’re any dearer than last season, Teggeh?????

I can’t remember what it was last year, but when I saw the prices they looked pretty similar. The season pass is same price.

edit: I’m getting a weekday season pass and hitting up other slopes on the weekends.

Hooray! Come to Happo peeps!

I’ll be teaching there all season, I’ll no doubt see you there

Cant wait for niseko!
im doing a season and working at the vail bar and grill
Just got my working visa in the mail yesterday.. fuckin stoked!

I’ll have to pay that a visit then?????

And welcome to Boardworld TOGZ!!!!! shaka

Make sure ya give us plenty of updates as the season progresses!!!!!

Pics/Vids a must!!!!!

Since there is now more than 1 BW in Japan working a season and you guys all visiting, we should probably have a Japan community blog? Andy you keen to put up some pics and stories often enough?

Afternoon,

I’m heading to japan for the first time on New Years Day. Meeting up with some friends in Tokyo before a stint in Myoko and a week in Niseko.

Just wondering if i could get some advice on stance setback. Is it absolutely necessary and how much setback would be recommended? The deeper the pow, the more the setback should be?

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers.

The less set back you can have the better, but if your board is smaller or you’re just struggling to keep the nose up then setting it back will help as it sinks the tail and raises the nose to keep it from digging into the snow. Setting back your stance isn’t always going to cure problems like lack of float. So it’s all dependent on the shape, length and profile of the board and also how heavy you are.

Share those details and you will have a better idea of whether you’ll be fine on the board you have.

On a side note, for those that have been to Japan - I’ve heard that some phones won’t work over there? I was thinking of buying an iphone here to take or just taking my current brick samsung and getting a SIM there. Has anyone taken there’s and used it successfully in Japan?

I think it was only pre Tri band phones that didn’t work (old none smart phones)

I have used 2 difference blackberry’s over there and they worked fine.

And I know my friends have used iphones fine.

So your brick Samsung is the one that is NOT going to work.

Yeah, I can verify that the iPhone will work, as I made sure that it would via Telstra when I got it!!!!!

They searched for the Japanese network settings (dunno what site though), and made sure that the specs on the phone had the same bandwidth (or whatever ya call it)!!!!!

Just make sure that if ya on a plan, that it is unlocked prior to travel, so ya can use one of the Japanese providers!!!!!

laustin_ - 23 October 2012 05:05 AM

Afternoon,

I’m heading to japan for the first time on New Years Day. Meeting up with some friends in Tokyo before a stint in Myoko and a week in Niseko.

Just wondering if i could get some advice on stance setback. Is it absolutely necessary and how much setback would be recommended? The deeper the pow, the more the setback should be?

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers.

Totally agree with what Sam said!!!!!

Mizu Kuma - 23 October 2012 06:06 AM

Just make sure that if ya on a plan, that it is unlocked prior to travel, so ya can use one of the Japanese providers!!!!!

I heard that phone providers no longer “lock” phone to network.

Well Optus don’t. I asked them about that when I got my current phone.

SamNZ - 23 October 2012 05:30 AM

The less set back you can have the better, but if your board is smaller or you’re just struggling to keep the nose up then setting it back will help as it sinks the tail and raises the nose to keep it from digging into the snow. Setting back your stance isn’t always going to cure problems like lack of float. So it’s all dependent on the shape, length and profile of the board and also how heavy you are.

Lib Tech TRS 154. FLUX TT30 bindings. 75kgs.

So i should try out zero setback to start, see how it goes and adjust from there if i’m not getting enough float?

Also with unlocking your iPhone make sure they do it correctly. I “unlocked” mine over the phone with optus before heading to NZ, backed it up on iTunes as instructed only to find it wasn’t unlocked when we got there.

SamNZ - 23 October 2012 05:30 AM

Also with unlocking your iPhone make sure they do it correctly. I “unlocked” mine over the phone with optus before heading to NZ, backed it up on iTunes as instructed only to find it wasn’t unlocked when we got there.

Always a good idea to chuck a mate’s sim from a different network into the phone to check!

But as I said if it is a brand new phone chances are they are no longer networked locked