The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Perisher 2012

^ I’ve done 120Kmh on a snow/ice covered freeway in Alberta in a AWD/4WD with good snow tyres.

For sure!

But have you had to brake?

In steamboat our plane landed on a totally snow covered runway!

And the whole town was white, the snow is different & snow tyres.

I have slid wearing chains.

Never too suddenly, but frequent braking. Or did you specifically mean brake ‘suddenly’ at 120Kmh?

I guess some cheaper chains would still have the propensity to slide. I’m really confident mine wouldn’t - but I’m not rushing to put them to the test.

you WILL slip on black ice chains or not.

winter tyres work a treat in sweden. Have been over 100kph in them on icy/snowy roads, with no issues…Also helps that they drop pebbles every day to help with traction.

Forgot to mention that I bumped into Jacobees on monday at the bottom of the blue cow summit chair, when he spotted my BW tall tee hanging out the bottom of my hoody.

Also think I saw croseks on tuesday, was wearing that DC Dryden hoody and then I saw a BW sticker on the board the person was carrying (skate banana), so pretty sure it was him!

ozgirl - 22 August 2012 09:51 AM

you WILL slip on black ice chains or not.

‘Slip’, yeah, but “slide”?

Man the drive to Perisher from Sydney/Wollongong is heaven compared to the drive up to Falls and hotham. dont know what anyone is whinging about!

Its pretty much freeway all the way to front valley, i love that drive. Would take it anyday over the mexican drive to the snow.

^ Agreed. Which is why there NO justification for some of the nanna driving that’s regularly encountered on the way to Perisher or Thredbo.

So 99.9% going to be at perisher on sat.

Most likely riding with a mate, possibly with 2 mates and one of their missus.
Meetups for sure kids

In Sweden, I once saw one of the trucks that drop the gravel on the road, slide off the road into a ditch. It had something like tank tracks on it at the back which i would expect to be better than winter tyres. There had been 30cm+ snow in minus 10 degrees, the temp then went above 0 and it rained on and off for a day and then it dropped to minus 20 the day after. The road was a solid ice sheet. Even with winter tyres it was scary driving at 20kms an hour. Hit the brakes and you were gone.

see ya there deano!!!

When you getting there Deano?  I’m trying to aim to be there at a reasonable hour Friday night, maybe even in time for dinner if I can but that will really depend on a few things falling into place.  You still want a place for your swag Dylan?

The road to Hotham is so shit, did my head in how long it took to get there, the road to Buller is fine right up until you get to the bottom, when it’s dry and you didn’t need chains I would have a ball driving up there in my old ute.  Never been to Falls so couldn’t comment, maybe this weekend I will head to Guthega to start, hopefully with 2ft of snow on the road ha ha ha!

Yea if theres room, wouldnt it be just great if we got soo much snow friday night that you could ride all the way down to the lakes edge from a mountain smile

MWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA yes it would, bags not driving the truck back!