The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

NEW ZEALAND 2012

Drew.M - 25 July 2012 07:56 AM
TJswish - 25 July 2012 03:56 AM

Definitely mate. I arrive in Queenstown the 2nd morning and will be going straight up to coronet. How about 8pm World Bar meetup for anyone who wants to on the 2nd, I’ll wear a BW tee and a Yellow / Black Beanie.

Similar to this photo with Dolph and Finney (Me on the left)

Just checked, i land into QT on the 3rd :( Im thinking bright green hair for this years trip so you wont miss me out at night haha or on the hill

Bright green hair doesn’t help if you wear a beanie or helmet?

Up to 30cm predicted over Monday/Tuesday for Canterbury and Southern lakes fellow NZ travellers!! Lets hope thats conservative!!!  shaka

Winning!

TJswish - 26 July 2012 02:52 AM
Drew.M - 25 July 2012 07:56 AM
TJswish - 25 July 2012 03:56 AM

Definitely mate. I arrive in Queenstown the 2nd morning and will be going straight up to coronet. How about 8pm World Bar meetup for anyone who wants to on the 2nd, I’ll wear a BW tee and a Yellow / Black Beanie.

Similar to this photo with Dolph and Finney (Me on the left)

Just checked, i land into QT on the 3rd :( Im thinking bright green hair for this years trip so you wont miss me out at night haha or on the hill

Bright green hair doesn’t help if you wear a beanie or helmet?

With bright green hair I shall wear neither on 0+ days hahaha :D

Anyway TJ You know what the back/side of his head looks like in a beanie and googles!

Hello,
Im heading over to Queenstown next week and my brother is going to hire a board. My question is, were is the best place to hire a board of decent quality?

Have a look around town. Just get a demo board and you will be fine. If you are going to be there for a week or so, might be wise to even look at demo / buying a board. You get to demo a new board and if you buy it, they deduct the rental fee smile

I’d advise against hiring off the mountain unless you know about the gear you’re getting and are willing to accept that it may break and you will have to pay some money (that may or may not be refunded by the original shop) to get repaired.
If you know a bit about gear and know that the gear you’re getting isn’t faulty or likely to break, then getting it from town can be a good choice. If you’re learning or relatively oblivious to the difference between camber, rocker and what to look for in a good condition binding or boot, then renting up the hill can be the most hassle free way to go.
I know it’s more expensive to hire up the hill, but when your gear fails, it’s also super easy to have replaced. I’m working in rentals and workshop at the moment and am sick of off mountain rentals old and damaged gear coming into my shop and replacing it. It also sucks when I don’t have the bit they need (often bits for burton bindings as they are the most common to break and we run out of some bolts), and they end up having to rent another board from us or go home early.

I’ve had gear from both Wanaka and Queenstown come up my hill and constantly have to re adjust bindings and fix gear from some of the more reputable shops. Some of it is relatively new too, I had to adjust some 2011 rossignol bindings from a store in Queenstown which I also found to be broken and made for a half an hour fix as opposed to what would have taken me 1 minute (or more likely would have never happened due to the gear we use) had it been our own gear.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

In my experience, NZSHRED at 19 Shotover Street in Queenstown’s City Centre is easily the best. NZ$50 a day gets you a latest model high end board/binding demo setup, and you can change setups every day! AND they’ll take every cent you spend off the price of a board (even the sale price if it’s marked down!) if you find one you like and decide to purchase it.

^ By way of example - when I broke my board early in a 2010 NZ trip, I demoed a 2011 Burton Custom Flying V with 2011 Cartel EST bindings from them.

chucky - 16 August 2012 07:47 AM

In my experience, NZSHRED at 19 Shotover Street in Queenstown’s City Centre is easily the best. NZ$50 a day gets you a latest model high end board/binding demo setup, and you can change setups every day! AND they’ll take every cent you spend off the price of a board (even the sale price if it’s marked down!) if you find one you like and decide to purchase it.

This is a sweet deal!

HELL YEAH!!!

What’s that - just over 40 bucks AU a day to try out next years’ models?

^ It’s even better if you’re claiming travel insurance for a damaged board!

The demo cost counts as ‘replacement gear rental’, so you eventually get that back - BUT you still get to take the money off the price of a new board!

Just sitting in the airport in Queenstown waiting to fly back to Auz and we have had the best September spring riding imaginable. We had over 70cm fall at Cardrona over the 10 days and had the best conditions of the season!!! Even my 4 yr old got into boarding this trip so all stoked and suitably tired after a great trip!