The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

JAPAN 2012 / 2013

I have started thinking about Japan 13 again. A few months ago I was 99% sure I’d try Niseko in 2013 (did Hakuba last trip) but the more I think about it the more I’m leaning towards Nozawa Onsen and maybe Myoko Kogen.

The main reason I was planning Niseko was in the hope of POW as I unfortunately missed out at Hakuba this year but with 2 weeks on the snow this time I’d have to be pretty unlucky to miss out again.

I also really enjoyed the bits of traditional Japan I experienced last trip and Nozawa seems right up my that alley where as Niseko doesn’t really offer that experience. It will also allow me to check out the fire festival which I regretfully missed by one day this year.

The only other option I’m considering is maybe a more remote/traditional resort in Hokkaido.

I would suggest nozawa and myoko, from research i have done i am happy to say that i am putting deposit on my trip very soon just waiting for 2 of my mates to get the approval from work. If they don’t i am going by my self.. CANT BLOODY WAIT

Lanox!

My friend got back to me and concurred you should do it yourself. Stay in Tokyo and the catch a bullet train the next morning - you will be skiing by morning tea (her words).

Reach out to the two hotels directly and see if you save. The look at alternates.

lanox - 01 August 2012 01:30 AM

has anyone stayed at windsor hotel in myoko and Gasthof Schi-Heil in nozawa ?

Hi Lanox, I’m going to be staying at the Hotel Windsor from late Jan through early Feb 2013 but I havn’t stayed there before.

I booked it through a really nice lady called Amy Shimizu at the Myoko Tourist Office. You can email her via .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) and she’s super helpful!! She also tells me that the Hotel Windsor buys lift tickets in advance during the previous season and sells them to guests for 2500 Yen for a day lift pass which is super cheap!!!

Also, the hotel rate was 5900 Yen a night per adult in there Japanese room ... which is also pretty cheap. Pretty sure thats a cheaper rate than on their website too but they don’t have an english website atm.

redjames - 31 July 2012 08:57 AM

Hey can anyone guide me to airport to niseko bus transfer bookings online. Can’t find any helpful info online. Thanks

I went Niseko at the start of this year mid January- Snow was awesome
anyways i went with these guys from the airport to Niseko
http://www.goodsports.co.jp/white_eng/index.html

you can get your lift passes there, its cheaper from what I remember.

If you dont fly directly to Sapporo, the best airline in terms of money wise to use is http://www.skymark.jp/en/airport/
(i’m not sure about jetstar. Are they flying this year? so lost with them, but if they are cheaper then obviously go with them)

If anyone want to know to do it japan! I can help you I think, I spent a month in japan and 13 days at niseko smile

lanox - 09 August 2012 03:25 AM

I would suggest nozawa and myoko, from research i have done i am happy to say that i am putting deposit on my trip very soon just waiting for 2 of my mates to get the approval from work. If they don’t i am going by my self.. CANT BLOODY WAIT

Nice I’m getting pretty keen thinking about it now. I’d looked into Nozawa before (a traditional town built around onsens within walking distance of the slopes sounds up my alley) but can’t say I know much about Myoko yet.

The trick for me is finding accomodation options for a single in case I end up travelling on my own, I’m not going through what happened last time again in the dorm.

bracer - 09 August 2012 11:44 PM
lanox - 01 August 2012 01:30 AM

has anyone stayed at windsor hotel in myoko and Gasthof Schi-Heil in nozawa ?

Hi Lanox, I’m going to be staying at the Hotel Windsor from late Jan through early Feb 2013 but I havn’t stayed there before.

I booked it through a really nice lady called Amy Shimizu at the Myoko Tourist Office. You can email her via .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) and she’s super helpful!! She also tells me that the Hotel Windsor buys lift tickets in advance during the previous season and sells them to guests for 2500 Yen for a day lift pass which is super cheap!!!

Thanks Bracer much appreciated.

i tried comparing the prices doing it my self and the quote i got they are almost the same i think i would save like $100 if did everything my self.

Oh ok, cool .... well thats the go then!

Yeah I’m starting to think about Japan 2013 again too…

Not entirely sure when/how long/where yet raspberry Josh is going to Hakuba for a week from 6 Feb I think, so I may go with him. But it is so much money just for one week (flights/transfers/lifts/accomm over $3000). May be good to go for longer to make the most of it… not sure.

what the?? are you flying business class and staying in 5* hotels Dan??

My whole 2 week trip cost about $4000 including spending money - and I stayed in close to 5* and flew qantas.

$1300 for airfare and $1600 for 2 weeks accom

Ha that sounds a bit better!

I think his quote was for 8 nights / 6 day lift for like $1600. Flights with qantas were $1400 or more. That’s without travel insurance.

Okay so a little bit of research came up with Penke Penke Lodge in Hakuba which you can get for 12000 Y per night for a twin room (not per person) includes breakfast buffet each day. I know people who have stayed there and liked it. It also has wifi.

I actually got to the screen where payment was required staying from the 6th Feb and all they wanted was 10% now. Balance due on arrival. check it out here http://reservations.bookhostels.com/myoko-nojiri.com/hostel.php

I just choose one property from this list that I knew people had liked - but check others here http://hakuba-accommodation.net/hakuba-ski-lodges-and-pension.html#penke_panke_lodge_hakuba

Both Jez and I have stayed separately at the HighMount Hotel and liked. It is more expensive than Penke Penke and from phots looks more basic. BUT it has its own Onsen. http://www.highmount.com/english-highmount/e-homepage2accomodation.html
Rates haven’t been updated yet.

One day lift tickets start at 4500 Y - become cheaper with multiple days

Flights

Right now http://www.bestflights.com.au have a sale (they claim - and yes it is cheaper than Qantas direct) $1289 out 6th Feb back the 14th. But I would hold out til Qantas next sale. and get flights for $999. But hey an extra $289 for guaranteed peace of mind - and I have already saved you a bomb with the accom above.

Or on Best flights it is $100 on Singapore and Jetstar, get this with baggage and the cheaper option with the hot meal comes to $1219.

WOW!! (hint go with qantas!!! LOL)

Anyway hold out for a qantas (or even jetstar) sale.

(oh I checked JAL too and that was $1500)

Dan83 - 10 August 2012 12:05 PM

Yeah I’m starting to think about Japan 2013 again too…

Not entirely sure when/how long/where yet raspberry Josh is going to Hakuba for a week from 6 Feb I think, so I may go with him. But it is so much money just for one week (flights/transfers/lifts/accomm over $3000). May be good to go for longer to make the most of it… not sure.

Dan

I am not sure where you getting those quotes from but that sounds tooo expansive.
Last year I went for 8 days to Hakuba and 7 day pass including airfare, accommodation all transfers for 2400 I think but I am sure it was no more than 2500.

Who is ur quote with ?