The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

KAVA a south pacific island tradition

Kava or kava-kava (Piper methysticum) (Piper: Latin for ‘pepper’, methysticum: (Latinized) Greek for ‘intoxicating’) is a crop of the western Pacific.

The name kava(-kava) is from Tongan and Marquesan;[1] other names for kava include ?awa (Hawai?i), ava (Samoa), yaqona (Fiji), and sakau (Pohnpei).

The roots of the plant are used to produce a drink with sedative and anesthetic properties. Kava is consumed throughout the Pacific Ocean cultures of Polynesia, including Hawaii, Vanuatu, Melanesia and some parts of Micronesia. Kava is sedating and is primarily consumed to relax without disrupting mental clarity.

Loved it in Vanuatu, first attempt making it tonight, reckon   it was a bit weakish, good thing we brought back plenty to experience.  F’ing going to hate work tomoz reguardless cool mad

They were serving it at the multicultural festival in Canberra a couple years ago and they ended up being stopped from selling it!!!

I drank Kava-Kava in Vanuatu many years ago. Super relaxing and slept like a baby that night. I definitely enjoyed the experience.

Did you guys see The Footy Show (Rugby League) a few years ago when Fatty and the boys were drinking it all through the show? It was so funny. LOL

Hahaha I remember that, Rider! Was pretty funny.

I’ve always wanted to try it. Looks like we’re going to Fiji early next year, so that might be the time to try it.

I went to fiji when I was 14 on a school touch footy trip…nearly everyone else tried it but I was way too scared/against alcohol to do it. hahahaahahhaah I was a massive straighty-180!

Haha Cords!

I tried it when i was young. My parents were big believers in letting me try stuff in their company.

I remember a good sleep after too Rider!

I didn’t touch any alcohol til a few months after I turned 17, but there were people having “piss up” parties at our school since about year 8. I never bothered even asking to go to one of those parties because I knew I wouldn’t be allowed!

Me either Cords,

Was only ever allowed to drink at family events in the company of my parents.

Once I got caught drinking when they weren’t around - the break down in trust was so terrible that I never ever did it again.

But once i was 17 they kind of lost some control as I was working full time (in a licensed venue - but I was always responsible… except for that one time I showed up at Tafe after the lunch break pissed…)

Funny thing with Kava is that when I tried it in Fiji I could eat a hot chilli dish without the mouth burn but it still had the nice flavour of the dish…. was kind of weird