The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

The Olympic Games - London 2012

I didn’t know soccer was under 23, but a lot of the big names these days are under that age arent they?!

I have really been enjoying the weightlifting, although I swear I was watching the mens last night until a commentator said ‘she’ damn some of those chicks are brutes gulp

no, not really. A couple, but most of the very top earners are well over 23.

chucky - 01 August 2012 02:45 PM
cords - 01 August 2012 01:35 PM

. . . olympic soccer is an U/23 competition. Teams are allowed 3 overage players in their squads…so it isn’t really like the world cup at all.

True, but it only “isn’t really like the world cup at all” because that’s the way the global Association Football overlords want it - so it doesn’t compete with the world cup that their organisation, not the IOC, profits from. It’s yet another reason why soccer shouldn’t be in the Olympic Games.

why should they let them make it like the world cup?

It degrades FIFAs own competitions by having it in the Olympics. Just the same as for snowboarding wink.

CRACKERS - 02 August 2012 12:40 AM
chucky - 01 August 2012 02:45 PM
cords - 01 August 2012 01:35 PM

. . . olympic soccer is an U/23 competition. Teams are allowed 3 overage players in their squads…so it isn’t really like the world cup at all.

True, but it only “isn’t really like the world cup at all” because that’s the way the global Association Football overlords want it - so it doesn’t compete with the world cup that their organisation, not the IOC, profits from. It’s yet another reason why soccer shouldn’t be in the Olympic Games.

why should they let them make it like the world cup?

It degrades FIFAs own competitions by having it in the Olympics. Just the same as for snowboarding wink.

You mean like the “FIFA” World Cup, right? (because, of course, it’s not “the” World Cup - it’s just soccer’s world cup)

And “why should they”? Well, there’s no reason why they should. However, the Olympics are supposed to represent the pinnacle of the sport - so if that’s not the case, soccer shouldn’t be included.

Same goes with snowboarding.

I do agree that if a sport is in the Olympics, they should allow all professional athletes to participate. They allow it in basketball, why should soccer be any different?

the funny thing is that the olympics are supposed to be an amateur event, so having it as U/23s is closer in essence to the “spirit” of the games than having the Dream Team compete is…allowing the dream team etc to compete was the beginning of the end of the amateur olympic era.

^ Yeah, the whole “amateur” aspect of the Olympics is long gone.

in saying everything I’ve said, i would actually probably prefer a proper U/23 world cup (with no overage players allowed) to run concurrently with the olympics, than have it as part of the olympics….but while it IS in the olympics, I’m happy for it to continue to be there. haha

rider26 - 01 August 2012 07:52 PM

Just watched the men’s 100 freestyle. Disappointing for Magnussen to miss the gold by .01 sec. It’s just so close!

If you see the replay again, watch their kicks right at the end. I reckon that if Magnussen hadn’t stopped before his rival, the result would have been reversed.

So many small things could have changed the result. That’s swimming for you.

There was only something like 0.01 of a second wasn’t there?!

I was watching the wind surfing last night, damn it looked cold out there gulp

yeah it was one hundreth of a second…so 0.01 as you said. crazy…apparently they used to time to the thousandth of a second but stopped because you have zero chance of seeing it with the naked eye.

Olympic divers on the toilet LOL