The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

The Olympic Games - London 2012

blizzard_22 - 01 August 2012 12:58 PM

Do you guys think that sports that already have a massive world cup event shouldn’t be in the Olympics? We were discussing it at work today and most ppl think soccer shouldn’t be in the olympics

Interesting question. I don’t think soccer should be in the Olympics either actually.

Do you guys think that sports that already have a massive world cup event shouldn’t be in the Olympics? We were discussing it at work today and most ppl think soccer shouldn’t be in the olympics

I agree. I don’t think soccer should be in the Olympics.

Of course, other sports have world championships - but it’s not the same as the FIFA World Cup.

I reckon they should develop a new football code for Olympic competition (similar to the Aussie/Gaelic thing) - so that all nations’ top football talent can compete.

RPS88A - 01 August 2012 01:05 PM

News just in, 4 teams disqualified!

http://www.news.com.au/sport/london-olympics/badminton-doubles-descend-into-farce-as-chinese-and-south-koreans-try-to-lose/story-fndpu6dv-1226440181907

A good decision. It’s essentially cheating, as the intent was to artificially manipulate results.

they probably don’t realise that olympic soccer is an U/23 competition. Teams are allowed 3 overage players in their squads…so it isn’t really like the world cup at all.

Go and tell your work mates that!

CRACKERS - 01 August 2012 01:03 PM
JazzaW - 30 July 2012 05:20 AM
rider26 - 30 July 2012 01:11 AM
cords - 29 July 2012 09:01 PM

Not sure about erasing the records, that would wipe out the achievements of a whole load of really good swimmers, and it certainly wasn’t their fault that they were allowed to wear the suits and then not allowed again…

You’re right, it wouldn’t be fair. It’s a shame the speed suits were introduced in the first place - I hated it! I think the records should be separated though. No doubt they had an unfair advantage using the suits. Anyway, I hope all the suit records get smashed over the coming years. It seems as though these swimmers are constantly getting faster.

Shiwen Ye, 16 year old Chinese swimmer beat S. rices record in the 4 x 100m medley by a second and rice made it in a super suit! Of course questions came up about the legitimacy because of china’s record but if it is legit looks like swimmers are still getting faster and super suit records will be broken!

The best come back by the one of the Chinese doctors…....‘you think this is extraordinary? what about Phelps? he must be on drugs then….’ hahaha

yeah i feel sorry for her, and I’m pleased to see the aussie girls publically empathising with her.

I don’t think they should have soccer in the Olympics either really. Its not like we get to see any of it on Aussie tv anyway…The IOC wanted it to be all age but FIFA wouldn’t let them. FIFA should have said no full stop.

cords - 01 August 2012 01:35 PM

. . . olympic soccer is an U/23 competition. Teams are allowed 3 overage players in their squads…so it isn’t really like the world cup at all.

True, but it only “isn’t really like the world cup at all” because that’s the way the global Association Football overlords want it - so it doesn’t compete with the world cup that their organisation, not the IOC, profits from. It’s yet another reason why soccer shouldn’t be in the Olympic Games.

Just watched the men’s 100 freestyle. Disappointing for Magnussen to miss the gold by .01 sec. It’s just so close! Getting all the Canadian coverage over here I got absorbed into the story of Brent Hayden. Pretty stoked he got a bronze medal.

double post.

cords - 01 August 2012 09:21 PM

yeah, feeling for James and wondering where our next gold will come from? We’ve got bags of silver! Pleased that he seems to have matured bucketloads in just one week. Also, did anyone else notice how WEIRD Nathan Adrian’s (two first names, poor bastard) right arm stroke is? Weirdest EVER!

Fifa runs world cups for ages up to U/20….and the olympics is the equivalent of the u/23 world cup, so I’m guessing that is why they agree to have it. Its been there long enough that I don’t think it’d be good to get rid of it. The olyroos have usually qualified and I’ve always enjoyed watching the next crop of aussie talent come through. Just a shame that talent couldn’t score ANY goals in qualifying!!!...the fact that channel 9 coverage is crap & we don’t see any of it doesn’t really have anything to do with it. It is vital international experience for thos u/23 players.

I’m increasingly becoming irritated with the coverage and the fact that to get decent coverage, you have to have foxtel. The impact watching the Olympics have on influencing and inspiring our next crop of up and coming athletes cannot be underestimated, and whether their families happen to be rich enough to have foxtel or not makes me extremely uncomfortable. The Olympics have many shortcomings, but the fact that it was for everyone and accessible to everyone has always been a redeeming quality, and now even that seems to be disappearing.

Maybe if channel 9 did a better job, I wouldn’t feel so shortchanged…I can’t remember being annoyed with coverage when channel 7 had the rights and I was in Sweden for the Beijing olympics. I’ve been watching for an hour this morning and I’m watching the Magnussen race for the 3rd time already…

I must say, the coverage is really good over here. The Olympics are on all day and they show what seems to be almost every event. Given I cancelled Foxtel many months ago, it’s probably a good time to be in Canada.

Definitely, Rider!

Anyone see that Kohei Uchimura won the individual all-round gold in the gymnastics? He looked so solid. The commentators said he might be the best male gymnast ever but not really sure he could possibly be better than Vitaly Scherbo or Alexei Nemov, just yet!

Yes, we watched him win the gold. Awesome performance. Crazy to think he nearly lost the silver medal for Japan in the team event with what should have been a routine dismount. Their appeal seemed to work though.

At my new house they still haven’t fixed the TV aerial so we only get sbs :( No Olympics for me…

can you fix it yourself? when we moved to this house, it only had a foxtel dish and no tv aerial,, so we went to bunnings and bought an aerial for about $45-$50 and freddy figured out how to do it himself. He’s a bit of a freak though. Worth a try though, I’d be devo if I couldn’t watch any of it!