The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

The Shire

Sukah - 17 July 2012 10:56 PM

DRC are you from the shire aswell?

Yeah mate I live in Cronulla (not born and bred though tongue wink ), you?

I grew up in Barden Ridge (Menai) and my parents still live there, however i now live in the inner west,  Growing up there though we were shunned by anyone east of sutherland calling us westies and that we werent even part of ‘The Shire’ HAHAHA.

Sukah - 18 July 2012 04:22 AM

I grew up in Barden Ridge (Menai) and my parents still live there, however i now live in the inner west,  Growing up there though we were shunned by anyone east of sutherland calling us westies and that we werent even part of ‘The Shire’ HAHAHA.

Haha sounds like they were a lot more layed back then! These day’s I just shun anywhere west of the Cronulla/Woolooware border J/K raspberry

Fortunately I don’t see/hear any of this rubbish or maybe I just don’t hang out with those kind of people.

I absolutely love Cronulla as it suits my active lifestyle with numerous gyms/beaches/walking-riding tracks and a good selection of cafe’s restauraunts. I will certainly never subscribe to the “God’s country” train of thought though as I’m well aware there are plenty of other lovely areas around. As I said though generally it’s pretty laid back around here and I’ve never had a problem with anyone. I do tend to steer clear of the appartments with aussie flags for curtains though!

Cronulla and surrounding areas are beautiful. Michelle and I go out that way all the time. We have a few friends who live there as well. The TV show is unfortunate; it reflects badly not only on the area but Australians in general. It’s actually embarrassing to watch. I have no idea how they did the casting but those three girls (fakies and dad’s princess) made me want to bash my head against a wall. I certainly won’t be watching again.

they’ve achieved their goal - create hype and talk, twitter is going nuts, talkback radio is all about it which in turn equalls more attention and viewers and more shite like this.

ignore it and it will go away

hopefully

People are only talking because it was so shit. A lot of people watched the first ep out of curiosity I assume. I doubt many people will be watching after episode one. Then again, people surprise me. I mean Big Brother lasted for several seasons and that was the worst garbage on TV. I am devastated it’s making a return on channel nine. The commercials are already driving me crazy.

haha I love Cronulla…well parts of it. I lived there for a while, while at uni on the esplanade (epic!) and parramatta st…and I’d go even further with my snobbiness - I’d never live anywhere except south of the RSL, near the point, or around near sandshoes. If I had to live anywhere in all of Sydney, I’d choose there. I enjoyed my time there and surfed heaps, but had my own friends and didn’t really make friends with anyone from there. Northies was regularly full of the plastics that I assume were the kind featured on the show, but it wasn’t anything that I cared about…The only thing I don’t like about The Shire in general, is that it is far too white….kinda like up here on the central coast. I’ve really noticed it and the bogan anti-intellectual culture that goes hand-in-hand with it.

I love that it doesn’t feel like proper Australia to me, if there isn’t a real obvious mix of cultures. Seeing a wonderful mix of people with backgrounds from all around the world makes me more proud to be an aussie than a flag or a southern cross ever could.

“The only thing I don’t like about The Shire in general, is that it is far too white….kinda like up here on the central coast. I’ve really noticed it and the bogan anti-intellectual culture that goes hand-in-hand with it.”

this statement you have made is exactly like me saying the only thing i dont like about Auburn is that is far too dark, and that the mix of middle eastern people and there anti- intellectual lingo of yulleh akbluah that goes hand in hand with it, and the list goes with suburbs like Cabramatta, Liechardt, blacktown bankstown harris park its all the same same story dominated by one particular ethnic group, catergorzing White anglo saxon australians “Bogans” is just like catergorzing coloured islamic Australians “Wogs”, Its wrong. The issues surrounding Cronulla are no different to many Area’s around Sydney or the rest of Australia for that matter.

rider26 - 18 July 2012 04:43 AM

Cronulla and surrounding areas are beautiful. Michelle and I go out that way all the time.

Ahh so are you the one responsible for the boardworld stickers on the bin and car park sign at North Cronulla?

cords - 18 July 2012 04:59 AM

haha I love Cronulla…well parts of it. I lived there for a while, while at uni on the esplanade (epic!) and parramatta st…and I’d go even further with my snobbiness - I’d never live anywhere except south of the RSL, near the point, or around near sandshoes. If I had to live anywhere in all of Sydney, I’d choose there.

Yeah I often think about where I’d most like to live in Cronulla if I had a choice. I think location wise I like the north facing section near the point. The problem as you head around further is it starts to become a fairly long walk with a board if you want to surf any of the beachies which is what keeps me happy with my location near Elouera.

There’s actually a lot of changes going on at the moment. There’s a big fancy block of luxury apartments that have come up next to North Cronulla car park (unfortunately you are stuck with bogans for neighbours) and they are completely digging up and redoing all the areas around North Cronulla, the alley and the area in front of Cronulla surf club. Apparently they are going to put a whole lot of decking and seats down. Add to that the greenhills land release.

As for the multicultural factor it can certainly get “diverse” over the weekends in summer especially if you are near the train station

cords - 18 July 2012 04:59 AM

I love that it doesn’t feel like proper Australia to me, if there isn’t a real obvious mix of cultures. Seeing a wonderful mix of people with backgrounds from all around the world makes me more proud to be an aussie than a flag or a southern cross ever could.

You vote Greens don’t you?  That’s the most obtuse comment I have read for a while and is politically correct to the point of making me sick.