The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Thredbo 2012

spaz - 08 July 2012 09:28 PM
Dan83 - 08 July 2012 11:40 AM

Candlelight has such a cool view of the mountain.

I notice.

As can be seen only the start of the flare run is visible from there. And the fire works a more spectacular from high on the village side.
Knickerbocker is facing the right part of the mountain but is too low in the village.

The best places are in the “old village” behind Denman or from the Alpine Way.

I was more making a generic comment about the nice view.

Sweet photo btw!

HardSnow - 08 July 2012 10:06 PM

Also guys, My wife and I are spending all our time at perisher this year but we have a spare day. Do you recommend us checking out Thredbo for a day?

The village is also really nice in Thredbo, worth a look around too!

blizzard_22 - 09 July 2012 03:25 AM

Also guys, My wife and I are spending all our time at perisher this year but we have a spare day. Do you recommend us checking out Thredbo for a day?

Definitely worth the drive, HS!!!!!  shaka

* It will seem considerably steeper than Perisher when ya get there, but there are good areas if ya wife is a newbie or not overly confident!!!!! (Not sayin she is though, just a heads up incase)

blizzard_22 - 09 July 2012 03:25 AM

Yes do it!

But I would wait and decide when you are there. No point if the conditions are average. But if the weather is nasty the village is still a nice place to check out.

cords - 09 July 2012 12:36 AM

yeah, why not? always fun to check out another mountain. I’ve always enjoyed all my days riding thredbo.

Why Not. Lets see how many trees i can take down lol.

You guys have connived us where going. lol my wife has only been for 3 days. she can’t link turns yet teacherboy.

it sounds really nice.

HardSnow - 09 July 2012 03:54 AM

You guys have connived us where going. lol my wife has only been for 3 days. she can’t link turns yet teacherboy.

it sounds really nice.

maybe start with a ride on Friday Flat with her first off, then once she finds her legs both of you guys head up to Merrits after that!!!!!

You can ride the Gunbarrel Express up to Merrits, with the only tricky bit for a beginner bein the traverse across to the runs there!!!!!

She should be ok if she takes it easy though!!!!! Once there, both of you will find a few decent little runs!!!!!

The other option to get up to Merrits is via the Merrits Chair!!!!! This is SLOW (But scenic and relaxin), get there by the red bus from Fridays to the Main terminal!!!!!

Merrits has also got a great place for lunch!!!!! While it is a little pricey (Average $20 for a meal), the food is great, and allows ya to get straight back into the Merrits area when ya finish!!!!!

When ya finish up at Merrits, ride the Slow Merrits Chair back down to the main terminal, then go for a squiz through the Village!!!!!

Just my opinion!!!!!  shaka

I concur with what Mizu has said.

But just to clarify the “tricky” bit he mentioned is really not that hard it is more about perception. Beginners tend to think that you are taking them to a steep part of the mountain. And get a slight amount of vertigo from the drop of the traverse, and that the cat track is narrow.

But just reassure her that the area you are taking her too used to be the only beginners area on the mountain before Friday Flats was built.

The original beginners area was actually at the Basin!!!!!

But I don’t recomend that for beginners as T-Bars can be more daunting than the runs!!!!!  LOL

And like oz said, the Merrits Traverse is probably the hardest run to negotiate in that area!!!!!

Be warned though…
You can easily fall in love with Thredbo.

If you like to party it can really be fun.

Speaking of…
Did a practice run for the pub crawl Oz wink

Thredbo News Update
This week is UNI Week - PARTAY!
27 locals staff have broken body parts on the mountain (some off mountain), mostly due to late, icy conditions and inexperience. Staff numbers are down everywhere, especially lifties (no I haven’t committed myself to anything-but there have been a few offers). It’s one of the biggest incident rates for one week to staff ever.
Plenty of opportunities for those interested (no accom available from what I hear).
Generally fairly quiet around (lots of car spaces and low bookings) normal for the weeks following school hols.
Snow is crusty (almost ice) then softens through the day to a springlike feel.
The local word for the weather last night was “balmy” I saw a few T-shirts being worn!

That is hilarious Spaz in so many ways!

Can not wait for my work trip. People are so excited and they are ready to party!!

Booked Sante’s for 44 people the other day 8pm - are you going to join us Spaz?

Its me again!

I am soooo excited about next weeks trip!

So glad to have Spaz and Dan on the team to help this be a success (loving the BW community right now!)

Someone at work just had the brilliant idea of making gift bags (of sorts) for the bus journey (with snacks and the like). So I have reached out to Thredbo and asked them to send me anything they want - in particular trail maps and village maps as a lot of the people are from OS and of course never even knew we had snow here! teacherboy

Thredbo seemed receptive to the idea and I just sent a follow up email - I have heard rumours that things have change there this season so fingers crossed they come through for me.

Nice Oz!

I’m getting pumped for the weekend down there!  shred

I will probably ride already on the Fri and meet up with you once you and your posse arrive. What time roughly were you expecting to rock up?

Cool!

Not sure somewhere between 7 and 8pm I hope! We will then check in and grab dinner at the River Inn then head out! I will send you a text when we leave Jindy.

I also found out that the Corporate Games are on that weekend. May get a team together grin

Its going to be a big weekend!

Sweet shaka