The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

gopro hero2 users

spaz - 09 July 2012 05:43 AM

I use RainX directly on the lens in wet weather. Like on the Go-Kart track when a lot of spay is coming off the wheels.

Don’t use it on the housing - I only use the housing in the surf.
In the snow I find the shape of Drift forces water and snow to fall off since it is glass and free of dirt. Drift doesn’t need a housing.
I’m also well practiced at checking the lens for snow but find it’s unnecessary with Drift.

Currently I don’t have any RainX otherwise I would use it all the time. In the past I’ve also used WD40, Bugoff, shaving cream and even rub on snowboard wax! All with good results.

I also have some oldschool lens cleaner that I use on my pricier lenses/cameras.

RainX would probably work on goggles too.

Funny that the footage that Dylan took with ozgirl’s Drift had moisture on the lens then?????

Rain-X is also great for the surf as its main function is to make water bead off surfaces!!!!!

The Ran-X works by filling small depressions (pores) in the surface of glass and plastic forming a slick surface, and this is what prevents the water from poolin on the surface!!!!!

Although with my very limited knowledge of photography this is only my opinion!!!!!

I do however know that this product does work overseas as I have been to both Canada and Japan!!!!! Can’t speak for the other 190 odd countries though, so maybe my opinion is worthless about this too?????

Mizu Kuma - 09 July 2012 08:19 AM

Funny that the footage that Dylan took with ozgirl’s Drift had moisture on the lens then?????

I was waiting for you to comment that!

I would blame the operator rather than the camera for that one. And it was on the outside not the inside.

He got some great footage yesterday and stacked it a few times and snow was everywhere but it fell right off.

ozgirl - 09 July 2012 10:05 AM
Mizu Kuma - 09 July 2012 08:19 AM

I was waiting for you to comment that!

I would blame the operator rather than the camera for that one. And it was on the outside not the inside.

He got some great footage yesterday and stacked it a few times and snow was everywhere but it fell right off.

Who else would ya blame when snow gets onto the lens????? And how would it get inside?????