The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

gopro hero2 users

Dan83 - 08 July 2012 11:39 AM
Mizu Kuma - 08 July 2012 09:37 AM

Ya might find that places like Canada and Japan wont give fogging problems due to the low humidity!!!!!

In Australia, ya unfortunately do get days that have enough moisture, and high enough temperatures (Dew Point) in the air to cause problems!!!!!

Good point. I can see it fogging easily on Oz.

Where do you buy your inserts from?

Like cords recommends, or anywhere that sells GoPro should stock them!!!!!

Ya get 3 sets in a pack, and they can be chucked into the oven to dry them out and reuse!!!!! Around 420 I think they are/were!!!!!

Mudhoney - 08 July 2012 11:59 AM
Mizu Kuma - 08 July 2012 10:30 AM

Did ya try holdin the pole a third of the way up the handle????? I have found that this helps greatly with the weight issues!!!!!

And yeah, I have mucked around with a couple of my mates new 2’s and the image quality is awesome!!!!! Make sure that ya play around with a few stills as well!!!!! The fisheye lens makes some great shots!!!!!

Look forward to seein ya work!!!!!  shaka

Yeah, I was not holding the pole by the handle - too heavy.  I’ve taken a few stills but haven’t worked out the best use for that yet.  My work is pretty unexciting so far.  Maybe if I catch up with Azz or Billy during the week things will improve (met Azz at the General tonight).

Yeah, Azz is sure to grab ya pole Mud!!!!! And especially after a few beers!!!!!

Nah cords, mizu’s right.
The pole at your wrist forearm will rest on your arm and add support plus a little counter weight. A wrist strap also helps but often gets in the way.

With a skipole handle you can cut the end and slide it along the pole for added control from the grip.
A counter weight is much better. But all in one cameras aren’t the best for long poles because of their weight.

yeah I’m not at all sure, either. I was just asking….interesting to think about, though!

Change in air pressure an temp create clouds/fog.
Humidity is needed to make snow.
Snow melts in warm accom, showers/cooking/washing creates steam, drying clothes release water, bodies sweat and breath is moist.

Photographers seal camera gear in bags and include silicon satchels when changing altitude to prevent lens fogging that leads to mould growth on their glass.
Smart ones that work in cold climates don’t take lenses into warm rooms or close to their body - some just remove batteries and memory cards for charging and upload.

With your logic Mizu goggles in Canada and Japan wouldn’t fog.

If there is sweat/snow inside goggles, and the temperature inside the goggles is right it will cause that moisture to condense!!!!!

This temperature (subject to atmospheric pressure) is called the Dew Point!!!!!

In my line of work we use furnaces that rely on this same type of information and control!!!!!

The fogging is far less likely to occur in places that have low temperatures, and especially in the peak negative times as the humidity levels in the air are very low and sometimes non-existent!!!!!

So if you go from -20 on mtn top to -5 in valley will you get fog or if you walk into a mtn bar/cafe.

I think you need anti fog strips because GoPro sit in a sealed plastic housing and creates it’s own micro climate, it’s regularly opened and is usually done so in warm, humid rooms. Then operated in cool weather and hidden in jacket pockets because they are ugly.

Or are you saying they wont need them due to your vast experience using cameras in cold weather.

So why is less likely for someone in Japan or Canada’s alpine region to experience problems with fogging, as opposed to someone that lives in a tropical region?????

And there’s no need to put mine in my pocket for fear of “ugliness”, as I will gladly show my GoPro off to everyone just so people can see that I didn’t succumb to your BS about how Drift make a better product!!!!!

In Canada I was using two different mounts/poles from GoPole - http://www.gopole.com.

I really liked the Grenade Grip for follow-cam and point-and-shoot situations. It’s also small enough to fit in the pocket which is a big plus. It quickly adjusts to any angle so it’s super easy to use.

Grenade Grip

This edit was filmed entirely with the Grenade Grip.

For self-filming I started using their shorter pole (comes in two different lengths). It’s lightweight, clear (and even floats if used in the surf). Personally I didn’t like the wrist strap so I just cut it off.

GoPole Mini

This is the longer pole. It’s a bit long for me but good for the taller guys. Jeremy from Olliepop Films used this for a few shoots and he said it was really good. I thank Dan also took it out for a spin when he was staying with us. Dan, did you use this pole?

GoPole Original

I’ve never had my GoPro fog up in any condition. I’ve used it extensively in the snow (Canada and Australia) and also used it for ocean diving. Maybe I’ve been lucky though as I have heard about the fogging issues.

Rain-X is awesome. Never thought of using it for camera housing but it works wonders for the car windscreen in cold conditions. Have you used it for camera housing, spaz?

Mizu Kuma - 09 July 2012 01:00 AM

And there’s no need to put mine in my pocket for fear of “ugliness”, as I will gladly show my GoPro off to everyone just so people can see that I didn’t succumb to your BS about how Drift make a better product!!!!!

LOL

rider26 - 09 July 2012 02:14 AM

This is the longer pole. It’s a bit long for me but good for the taller guys. Jeremy from Olliepop Films used this for a few shoots and he said it was really good. I thank Dan also took it out for a spin when he was staying with us. Dan, did you use this pole?

Yep, I used the longer pole for filming one day. It did the trick well. It was easily long enough to get most of me in the shot, and I am pretty tall!

I use RainX directly on the lens in wet weather. Like on the Go-Kart track when a lot of spay is coming off the wheels.

Don’t use it on the housing - I only use the housing in the surf.
In the snow I find the shape of Drift forces water and snow to fall off since it is glass and free of dirt. Drift doesn’t need a housing.
I’m also well practiced at checking the lens for snow but find it’s unnecessary with Drift.

Currently I don’t have any RainX otherwise I would use it all the time. In the past I’ve also used WD40, Bugoff, shaving cream and even rub on snowboard wax! All with good results.

I also have some oldschool lens cleaner that I use on my pricier lenses/cameras.

RainX would probably work on goggles too.

Mizu want’s to show off his ugly to prove his product is better than one he’s never used and make insults while at it hmmm

rider26 - 09 July 2012 02:14 AM

In Canada I was using two different mounts/poles from GoPole - http://www.gopole.com.

I really liked the Grenade Grip for follow-cam and point-and-shoot situations. It’s also small enough to fit in the pocket which is a big plus. It quickly adjusts to any angle so it’s super easy to use.

Grenade Grip

This edit was filmed entirely with the Grenade Grip.

For self-filming I started using their shorter pole (comes in two different lengths). It’s lightweight, clear (and even floats if used in the surf). Personally I didn’t like the wrist strap so I just cut it off.

GoPole Mini

GoPole Original

I’ve never had my GoPro fog up in any condition. I’ve used it extensively in the snow (Canada and Australia) and also used it for ocean diving. Maybe I’ve been lucky though as I have heard about the fogging issues.

Rain-X is awesome. Never thought of using it for camera housing but it works wonders for the car windscreen in cold conditions. Have you used it for camera housing, spaz?

Billy’s friend Ash had one of these, I think the long one. It was good, though I found it a bit of a pain carrying a long pole around all the time. Even though I didnt carry it much wink it was a bit of a hindrance

It didn’t bother me when I wasn’t filming. I hold it in the middle of the pole in my back hand behind me (so it’s parallel to the snow) and I just forget about it and ride. The pole and GoPro are both super durable and I completely forgot I was even holding it sometimes (talking about the shorter pole). I guess the longer one could be a bit annoying due to it’s length.