The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Hotham 2012

Looking to open new terrain very soon…........... The Big O shaka

A light dusting overnight becoming fine today

Overnight, a light dusting of fresh snow fell over Hotham and our snowmakers were hard at work producing snow at the Big D and across the resort. Our grooming team was also very busy last night and hopefully we will be able to open up more terrain very soon. The best conditions for skiing and snowboarding today are on the Big D for beginners, Sundowner for intermediate level skiers and snowboarders and Race Guly for those looking for more of a challenge.

The current temperature is -4.5 degrees and it dropped to a low of -5.7 degrees overnight. Throughout the day we’ll be expecting temperatures to reach a maximum of 1 degree. Today should bring isolated snow showers, above 1200 metres before turning into a clear, bluebird day a bit later on. Chains are being fitted to all 2wd vehicles between 9 mile and Flourbag Plain due to icy patches on the road.

Looks like I’ll miss it tho :(. Will be open for u guys next week for sure tho

Will be up from the 9th to the 16th, and again probably 19th to 22nd. Looking good up there! Very jealous of those of you already getting some!

**waves from Hotham**

Baby Mizu should be ridin up there today, Billy?????

She said yesterday was all time!!!!!

More lifts and more terrain open at Hotham Alpine Resort

Hotham is excited to announce the opening of three more lifts today. Gotcha, Keogh’s and Orchard chairlifts are now all operating which opens up more blue and black terrain for guests, including the Extreme Zone.

Snow conditions at the resort are very good with a 90cm average natural snowdepth and more in snowmaking areas.

We’ve got a six day head start on last year when Keogh’s and Orchard opened on July 9 with an average natural snowdepth of 97cm. The previous year in 2010, Gotcha Chairlift opened on August 14 and Keogh’s/Orchard opened on August 18 with an average natural snowdepth of 89cm. This season to date there has been 130cm of snowfall at Hotham.

looks like i might be up there sunday, keep an eye out if you up there, ill be wearing purple jacket and green pants, gold boots and a smile

Turns out I was there for orchid opening! By the time we saw it going and left swindlers to get there it was gettin pretty tracked out. But scored an awesome run down spargos and one tree hill with awesome pow. Mudhoney joined us and had a big grin at the bottom. His mate (skier wink ) came a bit unstuck and lost a ski down the gully LOL  he survived in the end hehe. Had a great day didn’t heavenly and orchid areas with billy n her mate ash

K2_SnatchCrewSader - 03 July 2012 06:25 AM

Turns out I was there for orchid opening! By the time we saw it going and left swindlers to get there it was gettin pretty tracked out. But scored an awesome run down spargos and one tree hill with awesome pow. Mudhoney joined us and had a big grin at the bottom. His mate (skier wink ) came a bit unstuck and lost a ski down the gully LOL  he survived in the end hehe. Had a great day didn’t heavenly and orchid areas with billy n her mate ash

that was the best!  poor old skier Simon had a tough time but he survived it.  Was great to catch up, hopefully can ride with you guys again soon,

Ok so im 99% sure ill be at hotham on sunday and looking at the weather report it looks like it might be a cracker blue bird (minus the 20-30cms overnight that some bluebirds in japan awarded me) BUT ive only ever been to hotham once, and it was end of season 3 or 4 years back and Big D was the only run open. Ive been looking at the trail map but theres nothing like asking those more in the know for their tips of which runs are rad and where my chances albeit slim they may be, are of finding some pockets of good snow. I think i may have also cracked a rib at buller last weekend (going to the docs tonight to find out) so i plan to steer clear of the parks & bigger jumps until im healed up a bit.
so hit me with some deets peeps and allow me to shred the hotham gnar like someone in the know

Who you going up with?

deanobruce - 04 July 2012 04:42 AM

Who you going up with?

my wife and her friend that i was with on opening weekend at falls.
The wife will be having lessons as she is super noob but Renae and I will be out to shred it.

Oh ok, was going to say if you needed a raodtrip buddy i would come with ya but all good.

yeah all good for roadtrip buddies, will actually be coming from the other side of the mountain anways, heading to bairnsdale first. BUT if you do come up, more than happy for more riding buddies

Just the day? I’ll be up on Monday to next Monday if you’re around and need a guide. Or anyone who wants a riding buddy for that matter (and photos/video for the flying squirrel comp!)

I’ll be in charcoal pants and a blue and orange jacket, say hi!