The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Flying Squirrel Contest or something else?

Poll: Flying Squirrel or new trick?
Total Votes: 29
Flying Squirrel
New trick

I personally think you should have to nominate which one category your going to enter, but that’s just me.

Oh yeah, it can also leave the door open for a beginner/intermediate to go for a Squirrel too!!!!!

If all of the experienced crew have nominated themselves for the level 2 category, that leaves a mediocre Squirrel to take out the big prize!!!!!

Maybe people can register via a secret PM to Jez, in order to keep the game a nail biter till the end?????

defending champ is gonna give it a shot again wink

Mizu Kuma - 02 July 2012 07:06 AM

Enterin only 1 Category (Via a Pre-Nomination) will allow the not so confident, beginner and intermediate to enter!!!!!

If the experienced guys/gals can enter all or two categories then it is somewhat unfair for the not so experienced?????

And on the other hand, if the experienced riders allocate themselves into the easier categories, then they run the risk of either missin out on the Big Prize, or even risk gettin knocked out of the lower categories from either the other experienced riders, or even the not so experienced!!!!!

Adds a little strategy along with skill????? Plus it lets ALL play the game!!!!!

The only problem with this is then lets say 20 people enter.

You’d hope that 1/3 people enter each category. But no. you’d probably get 2-3 entering the Flying Squirrel, 5 entering the 180, 12-13 entering the straight air. You also have the problem of the crash category. Nobody plans to wipe out but if they had a spectacular wipeout, they’d want to show it and be in the running for that $250 prize.

I also think that this contest should favour (but not only cater to) the better riders. There is already so many other contests that people can win *(Trip Report, Best Photo, Best Short Film, Graphic Design and being a good member.) And I say this knowing that I’m not even close to the best rider on the forum. It should push people to get better. Allowing people to enter the FS and 1 other category helps this out. It allows the Trademark grab and also gives people a chance to show their own skills.

My main gripe with only 1 category is that people won’t do the Flying Squirrel. If we want to make it a centrepiece for the forum, you need more than 2-3 pictures of it in the comp. If the first photo to go up is:

Then don’t expect any other competition because people won’t try to compete when they can throw up photos of different categories.

TL:DR - Flying Squirrel and 1 other category so that everyone should be putting up their best FS attempts.

The comps that take place on snow are my only chances of winning something…. because when it comes to the comps online(Trip Report, Best Photo, Best Short Film, Graphic Design and being a good member) I have no chance… cause when it comes to computers, we just dont get along!! hahaha…... Im flat out turning them on!!!

Hence the PRE-NOMINATION!!!!!

Once they are locked into the category that they have nominated, then they only have that one to enter!!!!!

And why wouldn’t the more experienced riders go for the big prize?????

fast eddie - 02 July 2012 07:31 AM

The comps that take place on snow are my only chances of winning something…. because when it comes to the comps online(Trip Report, Best Photo, Best Short Film, Graphic Design and being a good member) I have no chance… cause when it comes to computers, we just dont get along!! hahaha…... Im flat out turning them on!!!

Exactly part of my post before. There are so many awesome off snow comps, the good snowboarders should have the best chance to win this one.

Hence I think we should be able to enter more than 1 category. It also puts more videos / photos of these grabs on the site (better content for viewers)

^^^^ ya feel me dawg!!!

Mizu Kuma - 02 July 2012 07:34 AM

Once they are locked into the category that they have nominated, then they only have that one to enter!!!!!

Well you lock your self into the big prize and you come 2nd when you still have an awesome trick then someone wins the straight grab with an indy off a 10ft jump, not really the idea behind this comp.

I’d even prefer a Flying Squirrel Advanced / Beginners comp if you were going for this:
I.E. $1000 advanced
$250 beginner

Only enter one of them.

TJswish - 02 July 2012 07:36 AM
Mizu Kuma - 02 July 2012 07:34 AM

Well you lock your self into the big prize and you come 2nd when you still have an awesome trick then someone wins the straight grab with an indy off a 10ft jump, not really the idea behind this comp.

I’d even prefer a Flying Squirrel Advanced / Beginners comp if you were going for this:
I.E. $1000 advanced
$250 beginner

Only enter one of them.

Yeah, but the guy that takes out the straight grab hasn’t got the chance at the $1000 worth of good either!!!!! Unless that is, he nominates that category!!!!! That could technically leave the Squirrel open for a newbie to take out the booty with an ordinary effort!!!!!

That to me is a competition worth watchin!!!!! Not only everyone can vie for a prize, but there’s also a twist thrown in!!!!!

I think I’m with TJ on this one. The more entries we get, the more fun it will be.

Think I agree with TJ. I’d rather see four entries from him rather then just the one of the move he thinks is best. Either way though it will be a cool comp, its not really that big a deal.

And he’s right about the ratio of people entering Flying Squirrel. If you are limited to one comp, not many will go the squirrel I think, which would kind of defeat the purpose.

Either way, this is a very cool comp!!!

plus what about a category $17 for the lamest avatar?